Rachid El Khalifi signs with RSL

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by RSL Fortaleza Menina, Jan 30, 2009.

1. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global
    [​IMG]

Rachid El Khalifi, an attacking winger capable of playing from the left side, is set to "participate in" RSL's February training camp. However, he's not currently listed on RSL's official pre-season roster.

El Khalifi, a 29 year old Dutch/EU citizen (of Moroccan descent), comes from SC Cambuur of the Dutch 2nd Division. He was born in Rotterdam and was previously with clubs FC Emmen & FC Dordrecht.

2. kirsoccer

kirsoccer BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 29, 2007
    Re: Rachid El Khalifi to train with RSL

Good find. I assume that it's a little unclear whether this is an acquisition or a trial?

3. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

To train with RSL? I thought we agreed on the Findley-in-Denmark thread that there are no training stints, only trials, except when slick-speaking FO types are speaking? ;)

Thanks for the news - real live news of a player really coming to audition for a spot! Thank goodness we have something tangilbe headed our way with camp officially opening . . .

Here's to him scoring doelpuntens in an RSL kit should he sign with our club. Or setting them up!

4. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007
  5. RSL Fortaleza Menina

Jan 27, 2006
    global

Other reports claim the trial length is "tien dagen" (10 days). Regardless, definitely a trialist situation.

That said... the audition is for a position that's currently unoccupied, no? But is he worth spending an international spot on? I suppose everything is somewhat dependent on what Garth/Jason manage to unearth in South America.

6. TapocoL

TapocoL Member

Feb 7, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Aren't we only using 2 Int'l spots right now? Morales and Olave. If so, I don't think using an international spot will affect the decision to sign or not to sign a player.

7. Sin2R

Sin2R New Member

Aug 5, 2008

again.... RSLFM finds something new. Very interesting, and good.

8. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home

Wouldn't one of our draft picks fill an international slot? I think Bhembe? Well, if we sign him, I guess.

9. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

3 players currently in camp would take an int'l spot - Bhembe, Owusu-Ansah, and Viveros.

10. Allez RSL

Allez RSL Member+

Jun 20, 2007
    Home

Right, I forgot about the other trialists.

11. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

is there any video or stats on this guy? If the report that started the thread is true then this would make this dead offseason a little more capable to stomach

12. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

There are some great compilation videos here. Stats on his wiki page in RSLFM's original post.

13. Christoph

Christoph Member

Aug 20, 2006
    Farm Country
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

He looks like he can deliver a pretty good cross. Unfortunately we don't have a target forward anymore.

14. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I like this guy and I think you guys are underselling Yura. He is still very young and he is a BULLY. This will be an all star year for him!! Mark this post.

15. kirsoccer

Jun 29, 2007

According to Garth, it isn't a done deal yet that he will join the club next week, but sounds like it will happen.

Also, if he does come and impress - it's possible that he wouldn't come until the end of their season when he is available on a free (my speculation).

16. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But didn't Yura say that despite his height, he is NOT a target forward and does not want to be seen as one? He would rather play with the ball at his feet than at his head.

17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A guy that can cross the ball well with his left foot... SING HIM UP NOW!

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

This was exactly the reason to keep the Dr. Yura and Espy were both guys that wanted the ball at their feet, the Dr wanted it in the air. If our strikers get too one dimensional up top then we go into a scoring drought... like what happened most of last year

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You are forgetting FUTHI BHEMBE, the STRIKER OF DESTINY, who will be so good he'll be able to cross the ball to himself and score with his head. It'll be incredible to watch!

20. Truhlk

Truhlk Member

Jun 21, 2007

Correct me if Im wrong (probably am) but my understanding of a target forward is that they can play with their backs to the goal not that they can head the ball well. To me a target forward is someone you use to start your attack not necessarily finishes it. That is were the good Dr excelled while he was here anyway. He was good at holding up the ball and laying it off to other attacking players the same thing Kries uses Mathis for now.

Most forwards can use there head to put the ball on frame and I don’t think Yura is an exception at that. He will do fine if he gets a decent cross. He just didn’t want to play a withdrawn role that sets up other players. IMO he would suck at that anyway. He has too much of an inclination to lower his head and charge.

21. beaveman

beaveman New Member

Feb 12, 2007
    Mapleton, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Definition of target forward (from Wikipedia, and we know that Wikipedia is gospel;))

"Another type are known as "target men" and are usually of above-average height, with good heading ability. They hold the ball up and bring other players into the game, using their body strength to shield the ball while turning to score, and often scoring with the head from crosses. A target man might be asked to play without a strike partner, as a lone forward. Due to their aerial ability, these players are also often called upon to assist the defence when the opposition have a corner, or a free-kick in an advanced position."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Striker

So IMO, we are both correct.

22. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

didnt this guys trial start today?
    And you can put me on the cross for asking this later, but did preseason training start today or has it already started?

23. ajr_RSL

ajr_RSL Member

Sep 26, 2007
    Mesa, Az
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

who the Jorginho Paulista

Jorginho Paulista - Coming to RSL with an impressive resume that includes stints in Italy’s Serie A (Udinese), Dutch power PSV Eindhoven, Boca Juniors, and Brazilian powers Vasco da Gama and Sao Paulo, the 28-year-old Paulista is a talented left-sided player who can play on both the backline and in the midfield.

24. mr prolific

mr prolific Member

Jan 30, 2008
    SLC
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It started Saturday.

25. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

so how is Rachid El Khalifi's tryout going?
    isnt that what this thread was intended for?