Race, Gender, and WPS hiring

Discussion in 'NWSL' started by kool-aide, Oct 20, 2009.

1. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    which three should be fired and replaced by women coaches and why?
    gabarra
    dicicco
    barcellos
    riley
    sullivan
    rogers
    montoya

2. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ironically i agree with mead.
    muslim women are under-represented as coaches and managers in wps.
    time to hire muslim women. wps should get an "f" for not having enough muslim women represented.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Again, no one says anything about firing or replacing someone it's about encouraging diversity and giving opportunities. The best person should have the job.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    scalvixen, I'm beginning to think you are being intentionally obtuse. That makes it very difficult to have a genuine conversation. You could make the argument that the league does not need to have a diverse employee base and that the business of WPS is just fine like it is in an honest and rational way. Instead, you've chosen to ignore the points made by other posters and just flail away at straw.

As for your question about which head coaches should be fired, I'll leave that to the various fans in team subforums but I think you might find a couple of candidates there. cough...FCGP...cough :D WPS league offices and teams hire people for more jobs than head coaches.

Again, just to be clear, no one here is advocating firing specifically to hire someone of a different race or gender. What several of us would like is a) an examination of the race & gender breakdown of WPS employees and b) for WPS to be intentional in looking at a very broad base of applicants when a job opening occurs naturally.

The Rooney rule in the NFL does not mandate that teams hire African-American coaches. You are the only person on this thread that has mentioned quotas or targeting specific minority groups as an approach to discussions and awareness of diversity.

I believe a business that wishes to sell itself to a broad spectrum of society needs to make sure they have high quality people from a broad spectrum of society. In other words, I don't think a business can cast the widest net possible for cu$tomer$ willing to spend their ca$h (and for $pon$or$, too) without having already cast a wide net for employees. I do think WPS has had some success in this way but I do think there is a lot of room for improvement.

I'd be interested to hear from some WUSA era Atlanta Beat fans regarding their fan base, experiences, & the Beat's business while they were playing at Morris Brown.

5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Got you covered.

6. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DiCicco and Montoya, for sure: DiCicco for totally mishandling his prize rookie and for somehow not getting one of the most talented teams in the league into the playoffs. Montoya for just plain incompetency. I think you could find half-a-dozen female coaches who could do a better job than they did.

7. StarCityFan

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Those of us who have dealt with affirmative action policies (and I did only to a very small extent) know that they look at the qualified population and compare it with the target population. If 90% of computer science graduates are white males, then it's not surprising that 90% of the programmers you hire are white males. But if 50% of law school graduates are female (I'm making all of these numbers up, btw), and your associates are 80% male, then you need to look at your policies.

In other words, until you can point to Eskimo baseball prospects, world-class Asian basketball players, or impressive Hispanic hockey players, your examples are worthless.

When I take a flight with a female pilot, I am actually heartened because I figure she actually earned the position rather than being a good old boy who got it out of seniority.

8. debzy

debzy Member+

May 26, 2009
    paris
    Club:
    Paris Saint Germain FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    let's talk about soccer guys , soccer ain't very popular yet in inner city as somebody says before tht's why there ain't a big number of afro-american in MLS or WPS yet, it's hard to for soccer to find a place between basketball,football and baseball but like tennis (williams) or golf(tiger) is just a matter of time when a afro-american soccer player will become a star, well there is already freddy adu and jozzy altidore for the men...and for the female ? sidney leroux is coming ;), but i don't think the number of african american will reach basketball or football one days.......by the way i'm black;)

9. bayscr

bayscr New Member

Sep 18, 2008
    Santa Clara
    "players... must be selected on their ability to achieve and to succeed not based on gender..."

Please pardon us. We all mistakenly believed that selecting players based on gender was the whole point of the WPS. And if you object to that why are you a fan of the WPS? Or are you?

"or size"

One athlete is chosen over another based on size all the time. And while you can find people who disagree on the importance of size I defy you to find anyone besides yourself who believes it is wrong to consider size.