Race for the Supporter's Shield 2015

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by tigersoccer2005, Oct 7, 2015.

1. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My situation has changed a lot this year and i wont be the one who will be able to keep this thread going--but I figured being so close to the end of the season we were overdue for this thread. The wildcards are usually played near Halloween so we still have a few weeks left.

The top 6 as they currently stand:

NY Red Bulls 51 pts Games Played 30; 4 games remaining-- 12 pts possible
    LA Galaxy 51 pts Games Played 32, 2 games remaining-- 6 pts possible
    FC Dallas 50 pts Games Played 30; 4 games remaining--12 pts possible
    Vancouver Whitecaps 49 pts Games Played 31; 3 games remaining-- 9 pts possible
    DC United 48 pts Games Played 32; 2 games remaining--6 pts possible
    Sporting KC 48 pts Games Played 31; 3 games remaining--9 pts possible

Right now it looks as if it's New York's SS to lose--however anything can happen. Should NY start slumping, Dallas, Vancouver, and Sporting all have a realistic chance with 12 pts, 9 pts, and 9 pts respectively all on the table. Things look a lot more difficult for DC and the Galaxy with only 2 games left to play.

mjlee22 and henryo repped this.
  2. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    I don't know. This is about the point of the season where having games in hand can be counterproductive. LAG only has two games. One is at home and they don't lose there. If they win both they are at 57. If that happens and if FCD loses at Vancouver tonight, then FCD must get points in their last three games, which is tough.

3. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    EvanJ repped this.
  4. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  5. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Final Score 2-1.

The hope of winning the first ever Supporters' Shield just grew slimmer for FCD.

Screenshot_2015-10-08-09-38-23-1.jpg

6. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The Chicago Fire are all over this thread.
    Unfortunately, by "all over" I mean that it was all over for the Fire's "Race for the Supporter's Shield" in October, 2013 (when Frank Yallop, aka potato, was hired).

Now that he is gone we are ready for the race in 2016...no, wait Andrew Hauptman still owns the club.

I guess we will start gearing up for, whenever.

Carry on, you teams with a legit chance! :thumbsup:

henryo repped this.
  8. mjlee22

mjlee22 Quake & Landon fan

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where are the tiebreaker rules for the Supporters Shield? Someone told me yesterday that one of the tiebreakers is the number of cautions and ejections the team has received, I.e.a fair play tiebreaker.

Is that true?

9. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    http://pressbox.mlssoccer.com/content/competition-rules-and-regulations#tiebreakers

mjlee22 repped this.
  10. tigersoccer2005

tigersoccer2005 Member+

Dec 1, 2003
    North Bergen, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    so sad that head to head is not used as a tiebreaker :(
    you have to believe that at the very least head to head would be a better tiebreaker at #9 than a freakin' coin toss o_O

henryo repped this.
  11. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #11 henryo, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
    I agree, eventhough some teams do play each other odd number of times in a season: thrice for in-conference & once for cross-conference match-ups (possibly the reasons H2H was dropped altogether for its perceived "unfairness").

Before 2012, H2H was the Top Tiebreaker, despite the uneven number of home/road games among teams.

(The SS were actually decided by H2H on 3 occasions, with Chicago the unlucky losers twice. :cry:)

In fact, it has been pointed out that Tiebreakers #7 and #8 are pretty useless, if teams are already even on #2, #3, #5 & #6.

Would second the proposed resurrection of H2H as Tiebreaker #7, with Coin Toss & Draw Lots as #8. ;)

12. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The way things are right now, how likely is it the Supporters Shield will get to the fair play tiebreaker?

13. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    mjlee22 repped this.
  14. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    When is the Shield raised if the race goes down to the last day?

15. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    It should be raised at the end of the game, once the winners are known.

More pertinently, "where" will be SS be, if more than 1 team have a shot at it on the final day of the season?

Usually, the real thing will be at the game involving the leading team before the day.

I wonder if there will be replicas prepared at the other games as well. ;)

16. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    "Usually"? Hasn't the Shield been lifted by the winning team at the end of a game only for the last two years. I know the Red Bulls did in 2013 and the Sounders in 2014. I don't remember seeing the trophy on the field in 2012 when the Quakes won it. I think it was presented to the team by the supporters at the opening game the next season.

"Usually" the Shield was lifted by supporters at the MLS Cup Supporter Summit.

JasonMa repped this.
  17. mjlee22

Nov 24, 2003
    near Palo Alto, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Supporters Shield really an MLS trophy? I thought it was produced by the supporters groups and therefore was not a shiny glorious thing to hold up anywhere but in a supporters group gathering.

18. Daniel from Montréal

Aug 4, 2000
    Montréal
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And the Supporters Summit no longer exists in its previous format, as MLS Cup is no longer at a preset stadium.

henryo and mjlee22 repped this.
  19. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    Alright, my bad, the "SOP" would apply to the new Shield Trophy, which came into being in 2013.

By the way, base on the archives below, the Shield seemed to be raised post-game in 2011 & 2012 as well, be it on the field (LAG) or locker room (SJE), respectively. ;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. newtex

newtex Member+

May 25, 2005
    Houston
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    If you want to have a trophy presentation at the end of a game next Sunday then send the Shield to Frisco, TX. The Red Bulls cannot officially clinch at the end of their game on Sunday in Chicago. Even if they win which would give them a huge goal difference advantage, the only team that could clinch at the end of a game is FCD.

cthomer5000 repped this.
  21. Stan Collins

Stan Collins Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Silver Spring, MD
    That just changed.

henryo repped this.
  22. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    jayd8888 and tab5g repped this.
  23. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
  24. aztec21bas

aztec21bas BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 24, 2009
    Mullica Hill, NJ
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, Seattle does not have the shield. They may be the current Shield holders, but that will end on Sunday. The Supporters Shield was brought to PA by a Seattle supporter, and delivered to Red Bull Arena by a friend of mine last Sunday when the Union played RBNY. So, my guess is ESC has the Shield currently.

https://www.facebook.com/ericlfd/posts/10153715421117533:1

henryo repped this.
  25. henryo

henryo Member+

Jun 26, 2007
    #25 henryo, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    Nice info!! :)
    Link broken? ;)

Screenshot_2015-10-23-07-40-35-1.jpg