R16 Analysis: ARG-MEX - Rosetti (ITA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 27, 2010.

1. Mariella

Mariella Member

Mar 4, 2005
    Southern California
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And this.

2. geego

geego New Member

May 14, 2006
    I think there's a third possibility, and argentinian players were in fact very smart:

If mexicans wanted the ref to peek at the screen and argentinians didn't want that, argentinians were clearly signaling to the refs that it was an offside call. But with both teams asking the refs for the video, refs would think that it was a close call, or else why both teams think they're right?

So they were just playing mind games. The mexicans bet on the replay, and argentinians, instead of folding, raised. Of course, at the risk that the ref actually decided to take a look.

3. bluedevils

bluedevils Member

Nov 17, 2002
    USA
    Good theory!

4. Innawerkz

Innawerkz Member

May 11, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Nice way for FIFA to absolve themselves of this - blame it on the South Africans. "The problem wasn't that an unlawful goal was allowed to stand, the problem was that everyone in the stadium was able to see we pooched the call." Brilliant!!

This is all revisionist history anyway. Mexico wasted no time calling it an offside and raising an arguement. There was no need for replay to tell them. It simply cemented the fact in their mind.

5. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Lots of interesting comments from FIFA this morning...

Blatter:

And from a member of the FIFA Referees Committee:

6. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a pretty damning statement from Mikkelsen. To have it come from a member of the Referees Committee is bad enough for Rosetti... to have it come from one of his own UEFA members? Gutting. Given he's not eligible for WC14 and he's already done the EURO final... I dare say we might have seen the last of Rosetti on the international stage. Perhaps a swansong season in the UCL?

7. Rufusabc

Rufusabc Member+

May 27, 2004
    I just went through the rest of the posts on the topic and I think Lampard hits the ball a lot harder than they hit it in 1966, for starters.

The DSC is a dinosaur. Serves our purposes very well, but it cannot keep up with the play anymore. Too fast, too big, fitter and just plain better.

Why should the AR's be limited to unsighted calls? Why should they be grounded to the touch line?

8. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Not the one he struck on this play.

I have no arguments with this. I think there are flaws in the DSC that should be addressed.

My only point is that you can't ask the AR to cover offside and the goal line 100% of the time, and the reasons these deficiencies exist were just as present 44 years ago as they are today. It has nothing to do with the game getting faster.

The issues with the speed of play, diving, etc. are of greater effect to the referee than the AR.

9. KMJvet

KMJvet BigSoccer Supporter

May 26, 2001
    Quake Country
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damning, but wrong. Not that Rosetti couldn't have been sharper, but it absolutely could be overcome by technology.

10. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Not sure how the DSC affected not seeing whether the ball crossed the line. Many of us had to make those calls without the use of AR's. The problem may be that the referees are too busy watching other things and not the flight of the ball. The powers above are making officiating too difficult and should make it simpler. But both errors from Sunday could be alleviated with goal line AR's.

11. Innawerkz

Innawerkz Member

May 11, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  12. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    Diagonal System of Control, with 2 ARs running halfway line to goal line on opposite ends of the field, and the center referee running a diagonal pattern between the two.

13. Innawerkz

Innawerkz Member

May 11, 2010
    Canada
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
  14. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    No, Hurst hit the ball a lot harder in '66.

15. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I think it pretty clear from that statement that my theory was correct and Rosetti and the linesman failed to spot the touch from tevez. Which was as much a mistake of the referee as the linesman.

Specially after seeing tevez claim the goal ,they should have overturned the decision but seemed to succumb to pressure of the moment and did not have the guts to stand up to the argentitnians who cleverly wanted them to see the big screen.

Besides even if tevez did not touch the ball he was clearly "interfering with play" ,and the interpretation was wrong by both of the law.

16. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIhQF9wl-fs"]YouTube- Geoff Hurst famous goal from 1966[/ame]

17. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  18. PVancouver

PVancouver Member

Apr 1, 1999
    I am not sure anything is clear.

Did the fourth official also miss the Tevez header?

The other AR?

The fifth official?

Sepp Blatter?

19. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the hell was he interfering if he hadn't touched the ball???? That doesn't make any sense. The ball went in, didn't it? He didn't obstruct any Mexicans, did he?

Can you clarify what you're getting at here? This isn't like the (correctly) disallowed goal for the US vs. Italy in 2006, where Beasley clearly interfered with Buffon's line of sight. There were no eyeballs for Tevez to distract on that play!

(Keep in mind when reading my post that I'm talking about a hypothetical world where Tevez didn't touch the ball.)

20. vetshak

vetshak Member+

May 26, 2009
    Minnesota
    Correction, it was McBride who was interfering with Buffon... Beasley took the shot.

21. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Tevez was attempting to head the goal bound shot which forced the defenders who were getting on the goal line to take a more deeper position than they normally would have. And him standing there meant there was no way they could go through him to get the ball.

In any case i would say a dummy header or shot is interfering with play.

22. Naughtius Maximus

Jul 10, 2001
    Shropshire
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Just standing in an area where someone else would have to swing a high boot to clear the ball whilst it's in the air is interfering with play.

23. Falc

Falc Member+

Jul 29, 2006
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Can one be interfering when the two players are running behind you to catch up? It is not even close to interference.

24. ArdaBey

ArdaBey Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Chicago - Lakeview
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    I think the hypothetical case of 'tevez not touching the ball' does not give enough info about whether he is interfering with the play or not. If he simply stands there, and does not move towards the ball it's closer to no interference and no offside. If he moves towards the ball and is the only attacking player with the intent to play the ball and his movement is impacting the ability of those 2 defenders to clear the ball in the opinion of the referee then it would be closer to an offside call.

25. CanadaFTW

CanadaFTW Member

Jun 21, 2007
    I thought that the ball was going to be cleared off the line had Tevez not headed it, so merely going for a header could certainly be considered interference. It is weird that it isn't the GK who is getting interfered with through a "screen" like play, but I don't think that should matter.