R16 Analysis: ARG-MEX - Rosetti (ITA)

Discussion in 'World Cup 2010: Refereeing' started by MassachusettsRef, Jun 27, 2010.

1. MassachusettsRef

MassachusettsRef Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 30, 2001
    Washington, DC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All pre-match discussion of the appointment, play-by-play descriptions and post-match analysis of the officiating performance for this match belong in this thread.

Analysis threads in this forum are strictly moderated. Supporters of participating teams are welcome and encouraged to participate. But all posters should take non-analytical posts to the group or rivalries forums. Thank you.

Referee: ROSETTI Roberto (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 1: CALCAGNO Paolo (ITA)
    Assistant Referee 2: AYROLDI Stefano (ITA)
    Fourth Official: DAMON Jerome (RSA)

2. colins1993

colins1993 Member

Mar 1, 2001
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "Robert" Rossetti per commentator Ian Darke.

3. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope Rosetti never does a game in Toronto. It would never end.

4. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like a parry from the GK on Messi's shot at 11:50. IDFK.

I'm joking.

5. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Tevez was MILES offside. The AR simply HAS to get that right.

Why was he five yards out of position?

6. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Wow. I'm really not sure what the rationale was behind that one. Unless there's something in the replay I'm missing, that looks like a horrible offside decision.

7. shawn12011

shawn12011 Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Reisterstown, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And the hits just keep on coming........................................:rolleyes:

8. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry. AR has to get that right. Its not like Dempsey or the Italian goal.

9. ZipSix

ZipSix BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 20, 2000
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not the best day for referees or refereeing.

10. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Or even for football! Two great games in prospect, and the shape of both of them has now been drastically altered by terrible decisions. It's a real shame.

11. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I now remember fondly those first few days of the first round of games in group play, when we were talking about how great the refereeing had been. Not any longer.

Nice job by the center to go and talk with the AR even after the celebrations had settled down. Terrible job by the AR. He seemed to get there after the Mexican defenders had already passed Tevez, but after the pass was made, so he would not have seen the positioning when the pass was made.

12. QrysDonnell

QrysDonnell Member

Apr 2, 2006
    New York
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A banner day for instant replay.

13. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    This is really a heartbreaking mistake. Mexico have completely lost their composure now... I think this decision has had a much greater impact on this game than the incident in ENG-GER.

I don't suppose there could have been language issues between the CR and his assistant? I'm really struggling to understand how an AR at this level gets a decision like this wrong.

14. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    At this knockout stage of the tournament it is very bad that the referees who are supposed to be the best in the world are making howlers after howlers.

For me it has spoiled the world cup,as the referees have been the talking points uptil now and now there frequency of mistakes is increasing.

After the England germany game and now tevez scoring after being twice clearly offside ,the incompetent sepp blatter should really hang himse;f in shame.

It would have taken the referees about 30 seconds to correct their decision while the incompetent chaps discussed for 1 minute,argued and then stood by their howler.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/showthread.php?p=21161600#post21161600

15. ref2coach

ref2coach Member

May 27, 2004
    TN, USA
    I am quickly becoming a "replay" proponent for the upper levels of the game.

TV was showing us the replay w/i 20 seconds. FIFA makes referees retire at 45. How hard would it be to get a qualified retired FIFA referee to set in a replay booth, look at the multiple camera angles, key his mike and communicate to the CR the truth of the situation?

Most other major sports use technology at their sport's highest level, why not soccer?

PS for my "bracket" Argentina winning helps me.

16. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Regardless of feelings here, let's stay away from talk of bias and corruption please.

Please note that non-analytical posts simply stating that the referee is shit (or similar) will probably be removed. I definitely understand how you feel and sympathise, but please vent in the various match threads in other forums.

17. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its been a pretty good day for Howard Webb, I'd say.

18. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    When the ref and assistant ref were talking there was some speculation that the assistant ref had completely missed Tevez's touch. I don't know how valid that speculation is, but if he saw Tevez offside and the center ref saw the touch, shouldn't they be able to say, OK, let's put that together and call the goal off?

Of course there was also plenty of speculation that they saw the replay on the big screen which I think is why all the Argentine players came over to surround them.

Either way, a poor decision and one that should have been made correctly considering the positioning and the nature of the play.

19. o5iiawah

o5iiawah Member

Oct 31, 2008
    Perhaps the only thing the AR could argue was that he didn't see tevez flick on the ball. if the shot itself is played, Tevez is in an offside position but inactive.

Maybe thats what the discussion was about. Still, Rosetti should have seen the flick on and had that conversation. I actually thought that this was going to be a banner moment for him. rather now, he's a goat and probably wont see much work for the rest of the tournament.

Sad that the selection process for the final will be that of attrition rather than performance.

20. ArdaBey

ArdaBey Member

Oct 21, 2009
    Chicago - Lakeview
    Nat'l Team:
    Turkey
    Unfortunately today is the day we fail as referees.

I was already thinking about how to explain the england no goal call to my buddies at the office, but after this one, there simply is no explanation.

ARs at this level simply cannot make mistakes of this caliber, this is a career ender for the AR, and tournament ender for Rosetti.

I mean I sometimes lose track of the second to last defender in situations like this when things develop fast, but I always try to constantly remind myself about how the game is developing and constantly try to ask myself who is second to last, and where should i stand... Then again I am still a level 8 trying to get my 7 :)

Sad sad day...

21. Caesar

Caesar Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Oztraya
    Exactly, this is my thinking. Rosetti + the assistant should have got this call right after their conference.

22. Mr. Tovarich

Mr. Tovarich New Member

Jun 22, 2006
    Small Town in Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No amount of moderating strickness will keep an accurate description of this referee's competence off this board.

23. maturin

maturin Member

Jun 8, 2004
    Question for those who have refereed high-level games:

How obvious does an assistant's blunder have to be for a referee to overrule him? In that situation, seeing Rosetti's position, it should have been obvious even to him that Tevez was off.

Does anyone else think he should have made the call himself, given that his AR was so far out of position?

24. code1390

code1390 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2007
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What did the ref do wrong? Rosetti was and still is one of the top 3 refs in the world.

25. Cevno

Cevno Member+

Aug 27, 2005
    Shifting.
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    SO stating the obvious now is not permitted ?

Sorry but in this case their is no way the referee should have made that howler.
    Even i watching it on TV could tell straight away that it was offside. And the referee knew it was offside after he saw tevez celebrating but did not have the balls to change and correct his decision.
    In any other field after such a horrendous mistake you would be sacked ,and there is no reason why this referee should not be along with his assistant.
    It was sheer incompetency.

And by the way i am neither English nor Mexican(i am indian) , but as a football fan today on top of the previous events has spoiled and tarnished this world cup.
    I think mexico should have just stood there and let the game on without playing and made a mess of this game and tournament,so the incompetency of blatter and all the other FIFA clowns would be highlighted. That would have build pressure on Them.