[R] Wolves vs. The Arsenal Football Club, April 11

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by KevTheGooner, Apr 9, 2012.

1. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My stream was pretty crappy so I missed that & the replay. Anyone got a video link of it??

2. blackhornet

blackhornet Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    Very pleased we got the result and even kept a clean sheet. So happy with these results. Couldn't watch the game 'cause of work but this just made the end of the week for me!

4. mwojt21

mwojt21 Member

May 22, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ah, they were both adequate and Djourou blocked several shots.

I'd be more worried about having Santos in there. He was terrible, and looked like he was trying to give Wolves the ball.

5. KevTheGooner

KevTheGooner Help that poor man!

Dec 10, 1999
    THOF
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Andorra
    lol

6. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    lol.. is the emboldened text serious? Harry's created the best Spurs team in Premier League history and they want him out? :D Even when Spurs had Sheringham and Klinsmann (the latter in fairness was arguably the best striker in the world at the time), they still were average.

7. darcgun

darcgun Member+

Jan 11, 2008
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    IMO, there are two types of team expectations - idealistic and realistic.

ideally, we should be winning the league. realistically, this wasn't likely this season. I think a top four place was the best we could have hoped for this season. next season will be interesting, and I think other Premier league teams are realising this. I personally want Fergie and Arsene to be closer rivals again.

8. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    had to miss this one.

sigh.

9. TxTechGooner

TxTechGooner we're having fun here, no?

Feb 24, 2003
    THAT chip by robin... wow.

10. daedalus

daedalus Member+

Apr 24, 2004
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    absolutely. the biggest thing, to me, is that he sees these passes. he has been out of form since fatiguing out back in december and has been, mostly, out of the lineup recently after being out for an extended period, not to mention that he has not played with a large number of his teammates for that long yet - the timing just isn't there . . . yet. but he sees them and the timing will come.

11. gunner7

gunner7 Member+

Jul 27, 2008
    Sunshine California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think Ramsey is going to be good. i've never seen a spectacular performance by him like I do with Ox. Don't worry we have Diaby and Wilshere( much better options for next season).

12. The Grimster

The Grimster Member

Apr 22, 2005
    Edmonton
    Do what I do. Root for a Ramsey goal and keep your fingers crossed that it's Thatcher

13. goonermaui

goonermaui Arsenal No Ka 'Oi

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    I think that the paybacks on that one, have been deposited.

Just gotta root for a goal, for King George Bush II now.

14. goonermaui

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
  15. antifan

antifan Member+

Aug 14, 2004
    The Scottie
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. goonermaui

May 12, 2006
    Lahaina Maui
    I think you're right...
    but the similarities filled me with pride, for two reasons.

1. How good it is, to have a world class goalie at Arsenal again.

2. I can still remember the '70's....;):D

17. yossarian

yossarian Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 16, 1999
    Big City Blinking
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, it was pretty darn good. I just watched Seaman's save against Peschisolido again for comparison, and the latter was a bit tougher because the ball was already behind him when he dove and got a hand on it. Regardless Szezcsny is looking like the real deal. Once his distribution gets better he could be great.

18. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I believe we started this game with the 18th different back line we have played this year.

19. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Absolutely - as maddening as Ramsey's been, as long as he's seeing the passes, there's hope for him. His decision making will improve with experience, his final ball will improve with more practice, but you can't teach vision. The fact that Ramsey can see such passes and create the time and space to actually try them (also important - this requires technique, good enough movement off the ball to create space, and the sense of timing to know when the pass should be played) means that we're going to give him plenty of opportunities to grow as a player. As we should. Players who can see the killer ball consistently are incredibly rare. How many are there in the Premier League? Chelsea have Mata, Spuds have VdV and Modric, Manure have Scholes, Man City have Silva, and that's really it. That's Ramsey's ceiling, and he's only 21. He's going to get a lot more games: this is his first full season, and he's coming back from an awful injury. As frustrating as he's been (and I'll be the first to admit that he's had some shocking games this season), we've also seen some really good play from him too: the pass to Gervinho that made Terry look like a chump at Stamford Bridge, for example.

Besides, doesn't everyone want to see a midfield of Ramsey-JFW-Song?

20. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I saw Szczesny's save last night and found myself thinking about Seaman's save as well as Banks. And I agree, Seaman's was the best of the bunch for the reason you mention. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEXlrQlR28M"]david seaman best save ever - YouTube[/ame]

But Szczesny's light is burning super bright! He's a keeper in all senses of the word. :D

If he just works on his distribution and his foot skills (i.e. when he receives a backpass and needs to safely get rid of the ball with his feet) he could be one of the very top keepers in the world.

21. RaleighGooner

RaleighGooner Member

Dec 29, 2010
    Raleigh
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wait......WHAT? You really think Diaby is a better option than Ramsey? I mean, he might be, but he's been injured since what, 1857?

22. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    We ask Ramsey to do a lot more than we ask Ox to do: Ramsey has to control the game. That's really, really, really hard to do. Not everyone's a Cesc Fabregas who can do it at age 19. The only reason Wilshere looked so good last year is because we asked him to play as a deep lying midfielder who was there to assure possession - his role last season was much more limited than Ramsey's is this season. Ramsey's had to:

1. Help control possession
    2. Build attacks
    3. Track back and defend
    4. Set the pace of the game.

There aren't many teams in the league that give anyone that kind of responsibility - Spuds do it with Modric, but that's pretty much it.

23. mebeSajid

mebeSajid Member+

Feb 16, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Essentially, I'm not saying that Ramsey's really good, or that he's going to be a superstar. I'm just saying that he's got talent, Wenger's put a lot of responsibility on his shoulders, and we should cut him some slack as a result.

24. Loose Cannon

Loose Cannon Member

Feb 11, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Korea Republic
    My stream when down when it happened then cut out before the post-game highlights came on.... Did he Panenka the keeper?

25. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Diaby has shown more potential than Ramsey.

Ramsey is good though and will be a great player, no doubt.