[R] Wolly

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Section113, Sep 20, 2003.

1. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    That IS the goal of the year.

2. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    best goal i've seen this year. *#*#*#*#in awesome. that came out of no where. even shep thought so. WOW! go woly

3. elephantstone

elephantstone Member

Feb 12, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Unbelievable. I didn't even yell when he scored; I was just stunned.

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    werd.

5. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    same here. simply amazed, great ball from guevara.

i actually started laughing after a while.

6. johnh00

johnh00 Member

Apr 25, 2001
    CT, USA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    goal of the year? heck, that might have been the best goal I've ever seen in MLS. simply stunning.

7. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    That's when you know a goal is good.

8. Soccernova78

Soccernova78 Member

Mar 16, 2003
    Beyond The Infinite
    What an absolutely incredible strike! In a very important game no less.

9. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
    Important goal, but I wouldn't call it goal of the year. The ugliness of the game just made the goal look much better.

10. delo_pata

delo_pata Member

Jan 12, 2001
    Durham, NC
    Quite similar to a goal scored by Batistuta four or five years ago for Fiorentina.

11. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Woly is the new Gio/Ole Gunnar

12. ktsd

ktsd Member

Jul 20, 1999
    Bethel, CT, USA
    Another great thing about it: Clint was one of the guys congratulating him the most. No sour grapes from the guy Woly was replacing in the game. Good signs for the end of season stretch for the Metro.

Kevin D.

13. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    Woly said in his post game that Mathis actually had no problem coming out and that was just tired and thought Woly could do better.

14. Modena Man

Modena Man New Member

Feb 23, 2003
    OK, I said this before and got slagged for it a little bit. Been following Wolyniec since Silver Lake, then Fordham, then the Brooklyn Knights, then MLS. He may not be your all around world beater but he is a clinical offensive player. He was a math or engineering major I belive and he just sees the field in dimensions that others do not. And he is from a great soccer family on Staten Island.

15. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figured Woly was coming on because our strategy for OT was to hoof long balls up at our forwards, bypassing the midfield more or less. Yeah, Clint's a forward, but he does a lot more dropping back into midfield than Wolyniec (or Juskowiak, apparently), and his little spins, turns and touches through midfield were going to be redundant.

I'm not nearly so worried about his fitness anymore, by the way.

16. Ictar

Ictar Member

Jun 18, 2002
    The Oklahoma Panhandle
    Damn it, I want to see that goal so bad now. Too bad it probably won't be up until Monday or Tuesday on mlsnet.com. =x

If someone watching didn't know what to do afterwards but laugh it must be good.

17. Metrosuccess

Metrosuccess Member

Jan 6, 2000
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is unbelievable when I say a great coaching move taking out our supposed National Team striker and replacing him with Woly and Woly shines again. Clint had a real bad case of Fiaria tonight seemingly missing at least 4 gimmes and looking fatigued before the game even started.

If there is an award for most improved MLS player it should go to Woly.

18. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Ninety something minutes of nothing and then SMASH . A great goal. Three points is three points.

19. Clint was not sharp around the net tonight, but the "fatigued" comment is way off base. Clint busted his butt tonight and was moving and hustling for the entire match.

Wolny's goal was a thing of beauty. That would be a highlight goal anywhere on the planet.

20. cossack

cossack Member

Loons
    United States
    Mar 5, 2001
    Minneapolis
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm really liking the MLS overtime shenanigan now.

21. metro4ever

metro4ever New Member

Aug 6, 2003
    Metroland-NJ
    HAIL,Hail 2 Wolly
    and Kudos to Bob once again ...

22. Anyone know for sure where that "Wolny" contingent in the upper deck came from? I heard they were the kids from some High School team that he coaches. I give those kids credit, they stood and shouted for Wolny all game long -- even though he wasn't in for 95 minutes of it. What a treat for them to have witnessed this finish. Hey, a new generation of ESCers may be in the making.

23. G Enriquez

G Enriquez Member+

Apr 1, 2002
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That goal was a beauty.A combination of skill and power. I'd say it's the number 2 goal of the year behind Carlos Ruiz's bicycle against the Crew this year.

24. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  25. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

If Walker is the King of East Rutherford I'm nominating Woly for the position of Prince of Seacaucus.

He's certainly deserving of consideration for most improved player in MLS this year.

Very strange. The Woly fan club shows up at the game, starts the "We Want Wolyniec" chant 5 minutes into the game and he comes in and scores the game winner.

It really doesn't get any better than that.