[R] Shaker Asad Reportedly Injured (you'll love this one)

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Aug 27, 2002.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Shaker Asad played as a guest player in a friendly featuring the Rochester Raging Rhinos and the Kansas City Wizards at Frontier Field last night in Rochester. The Rhinos won by a score of 2-0. According to numerous reports, Shaker Asad (playing for the Wizards) went off on a stretcher midway through the second half from a hard tackle.

Apparently the bulk of the Kansas City side was composed of MLS bench players from around the league. According to the Wizards Official Web Site, the following were included as part of the "Kansas City" team:

Jose Alegria (D.C. United)
    Shaker Asad (New England)
    Andy Behncke (Dallas)
    Carl Bussey (Dallas)
    Freddy Garcia (Columbus)
    Marshall Leonard (New England)
    Jeff Matteo (Columbus)
    Lee Morrison (Dallas)

Can anyone tell me what the a**-backwards logic is in this, playing reserve players in a meaningless "barnstorming" friendly for an opposing team no-less when the Revolution are trying to salvage hopes of a playoff spot, and in the process, get a player hurt?

What a joke.

I can understand trying to get a player minutes, but for Goodness sakes send someone like Frias or Downing who should they get injured, won't pose some liability to the club.

Ridiculous.

(apologies for the early rant)

-Evan

2. rscaramelo

rscaramelo Coach/Hack Defender

May 5, 1999
    MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What a load of ***************************e. MLS can be so Bush League. Even less depth now! Maybe TFIII can see some PT now! ;)

RC

3. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    You know the history behind this, right? (This is from memory, but I'm pretty sure that it's right). The Wizards had the Open Cup game vs Rochester which was a rough game, the Wizards claimed that Rochester was using racial slurs, and there was a fight after the game in which one if the Wizard's player had his orbital socket broken. However, KC had some type of contractual commitment to Rochester so they HAD to play this exhibition contest.

4. skip70

skip70 New Member

Mar 21, 2001
    The Burbs
    Why would the Revs allow this?
    Stupid, stupid, stupid!
    -Skip

5. Tea Men Tom

Tea Men Tom Member

Feb 14, 2001
    What's the Big Deal?

It could have just as easily happened in practice. He hasn't played much all year so why not get him some game experience? I don't have a problem with him being in a game like that.

Plus it's not like him being out of action is going to affect the team all that much. In his limited minutes throughout his Revs career he hasn't really done anything.

6. REV-OKe

REV-OKe Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Shaker Asad needs pt. or an A-League team.

he might be good 6-years from now. lets hang on to him. or not.

7. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    "It could have just as easily happened in practice. He hasn't played much all year so why not get him some game experience? I don't have a problem with him being in a game like that."

You're absolutely right, he could use the experience and has already had a few chances playing earlier this season in the USL. That's clearly something the Revolution should look to do, getting the younger players regular match experience by playing in the lower divisions.

The issue I have is that the injury came in a meangingless farce of a match: one that already had pre-existing tension built into it, and one that put him unecessarily at risk.

Getting hurt in practice is entirely different.

Yes, he isn't a starter, but he's still a player who's recently seen minutes off the bench. If for some reason his injury is serious enough to take him out of action down the stretch of the season, then that is a concern.

It's the logic of this that bugs me.

The Magpie

8. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    Like, suddenly Asad is Mr. Irreplaceable?

Competitive games are what professional soccer players do. If you have to live in fear of getting hurt, then you'll never develop.

I hadn't heard about this game, but I think it was a great idea - I would have gone to see it if it were nearby or on the tube. The Revs bench came into this season way too green and were unprepared to fill in when injuries hit. Asad needs competitive games and lots of them at this stage of his career, he's near the "crossroads".

I say good job to the staff for getting him this game and it's just a tough break if he got injured.

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Like, suddenly Asad is Mr. Irreplaceable?

* That's not the point.

Competitive games are what professional soccer players do. If you have to live in fear of getting hurt, then you'll never develop.

*That's not the point.

I say good job to the staff for getting him this game and it's just a tough break if he got injured.

* Here's an analogy:

Take Lou Merloni for the Red Sox. Say he's not getting minutes at the big club. So the Sox say, "let's lend him out to the New York Yankees," then send him out to play the Hackinsack Bulls in an exhibition (during the final weeks of the season when the Sox are trying to make the playoffs), where he gets his arm fractured by an overzealous opposing player on a slide because the last time the clubs met in a match there was a brawl resulting in bad blood between the two teams.

or rather,

Take Lou Merloni for the Red Sox. Say he's not getting the minutes at the big club. So the Sox say, " let's send him down to Pawtucket to play for a few games so he can both improve his game and perhaps help the Paw-Sox in the International League standings. While there he collides with the Rochester Red Wings' 2nd baseman where he fractures his arm in the process.

Now I admit, I have no idea as to the extent of Asad's injury: it could be something he can shake off in practice, it could be something that keeps him out the rest of the season. I also admit that Asad has not been a factor this season in coming off the bench, and in fact, he has the fewest games minutes of any Revolution player coming off the bench. Meanwhile we do have a number of other midfielders who could be cover.

All that being said, the circumstances that got him injured were as Mickey Mouse as the first analogy I suggested.

That's the problem I have.

The Magpie

10. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    From the Rochester Democrat & Chronicle:

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/rhinos/0827story1_rhinos.shtml

"Rochester's Carlos Zavala clipped Shaker Asad from behind in the 48th minute. He earned a yellow card and was immediately replaced.

"I did try to move him with my body but I got there late. I feel like crap," Zavala said of his hit on Asad, who might have a strained knee ligament. "The last thing I want to do is hurt somebody."

Rhinos backup Dimitar Stojanov was ejected in 58th minute after a similar tackle on Marshall Leonard. Stojanov said he deserved a yellow card, but not a red."

So we get a player knock Asad out with what could be a knee injury, while a Rhinos player is ejected for a crunching tackle on Leonard.

The Magpie

11. Revs Fan Forever

Revs Fan Forever New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    somewhere in MA
    Shaker could be a great attacking midfielder if we gave him a little more time. Because Nichol is a more defensive guy that will not be happening anytime sone. Maybe we could trade him for a GOOD Defensive midfielder. I like Shaker a lot but we could also use a better defensive midfielder.

12. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    I don't understand how we complain all season that the guys on the end of the bench aren't getting any opportunities to get on the pitch, and then when one of the guys who just about NEVER plays finally gets some PT we get upset that he's gotten injured because we might need him for a playoff run?

Seven points out, and we're really talking about the guy at the very bottom of the rotation getting injured...

Magpie, you know I love ya, but this is just frustration for the sake of frustration...

13. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    magpie, you're dead on.

every coin has two sides.....but, we both must be using the same two-headed version b/c i can't see a tail side to this no matter how times its flipped.

...it just makes it that much harder to separate the current front office out from the shadow of past history when these type of things occur.

14. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I'm with Magpie, especially if soccertim's story is true. Does Shaker need PT? Sure, but not loaned out for a decidedly unfriendly friendly.

15. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
  16. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    John,

I'm sorry. Since Shaker's living on the bottom rung of the ladder in terms of Nicol's pecking order, next time we'll alert the Rhinos in advance. That way they'll know it's open season and they can really ***************ing cripple the player as it won't really matter because we won't need him for the playoff run.

As I've said numerous times before, my beef is with the circumstances that got him injured. I'm all about him getting PT, but the right type of playing time.

Suiting up for the Wizards (hello?!) in a meaningless friendly against a team that wants to kick the crap out of you?

That's brilliant.

Seven points out and quite frankly, what's the point of risking Asad and Marshall now? It's not like they're playing for PT at the moment, and it's not as if their efforts in Rochester are going to mean pidly squat to Nicol in terms of the playoff run.

I'm frustrated because this serves as yet another example of some half-baked decision-making going on. Lending out a player like Shaker is a good idea, but if the process is screwed up then it benefits nobody.

The Magpie

17. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    Evan,
    That the player got hurt benefits no one. Had he come through the match unscathed and with a touch more match fitness, then I think it would have benefited the team. Had he set up two or three goals we'd all be talking about how great it was that he got some playing time, and then we'd debate whether he should be on the pitch for the first team or not.

Instead he got hurt, so we pick apart the decision to send him for the game. I understand you don't like that the match was a friendly and that he was representing another MLS team, but without any practical mechanism for farming Shaker out more regularly, what is the team supposed to do?

It may very well be that they anticipated using him more down the home stretch and wanted to work on his match fitness so that he's sharper off the bench. In that scenario, you would take any competitive 90 minute game you could get your hands on.

I don't know. It's been a long season, and there have been so many things to feel angry about. This just doesn't seem like one of them to me.

Warmly,
    John

18. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Instead he got hurt, so we pick apart the decision to send him for the game. I understand you don't like that the match was a friendly and that he was representing another MLS team, but without any practical mechanism for farming Shaker out more regularly, what is the team supposed to do?

* Come up with a practical mechanism.

Work harder, force the issue, aspire towards a more progressive attitude... let creativity be accompanied by common sense.

A practical mechanism isn't farming out a player like Asad for a one-off match, especially one involving circumstances such as those associated with the Kansas City (as it were) vs. Rochester match. Such a decision has more to do with opportunistic expediency than any well thought out developmental plan, even in the abscence of such.

Such a plan is something that needs to be both explored and cultivated.

I'll go out on a limb here and say that to this point, Shaker Asad has not shown himself to be an MLS caliber player. Whether that's a result of an immature (read "inexperienced") individual game or lack of playing time is subject to debate. So why not invest the time and effort to bring him along as a player, seeing what he's got. Give Nicol the chance to say "The lad's coming along nicely."

The Revolution quite frankly, don't have much of a choice, not that it should even be one. New England has the worst overall record in the history of the league and if my count is correct, has cycled through more players than any other club in the league.

If the Revolution can't count on success stemming from it's big money signings then they should endeavour to create such success by building it from within.

You have a player in Nick Downing with the pedigree and raw skills to be one of the better defenders in this league, yet he's withering on the vine, effectively coming in to punch the clock every day for a few hours when he's not off doing some meet & greet with younger Rev fans. Much the same could be said of Shaker Asad. These guys don't even have the luxury of an established reserve system that allows them to "prove" themselves week in and week out to perchance earn a spot in the first team.

The best shot they get, or rather, the best shot they're offered is the random chance to get a few minutes here and there. That doesn't serve the player well, and that certainly doesn't help the team.

So if the best the Revs can do, or the best they can aspire to is the random match, then I have much less of a problem if the circumstances were similar to those earlier this season when Asad suited up for the Hampton Roads Mariners in an Open Cup Third Round match against the Metrostars on July 16th. There he played 58 minutes in a match that counted for something, getting some quality time against a Metros starting line-up that featured Tim Howard, Mike Petke, Craig Ziadie, Steve Jolley, Ted Chronopoulos, Jeff Moore, Ross Paule, Brad Davis, Andy Williams, Mamadou Diallo, and Rodrigo Faria.

What's frustrating is that the Revolution have an opportunity to create their own success, much like any other club in Major League Soccer.

They're not doing it. So what's stopping the Revs when other clubs are finding ways to succeed? I'd argue it's not a what, but a who.

Themselves.

The Revolution are like a hard-core alcoholic: the fans know there's a problem, they recognize the symptoms of the disease, but as much as they'd like to support the club, helping them beat their problem, ultimately it'll be the club who'll have to help itself. The Revolution has been abusing itself and the ones who care about it in this respect for years now. The question is, when will the club hit rock bottom? When will the club realize that there's no easy wayout to getting better, that they'll have to do everything in their power to do it.

The club controls their own destiny. If they throw up their hands and cry "what (else) can we do" then they probably don't believe they do.

The Magpie

19. Blathist

Blathist New Member

Aug 21, 2001
    Foxboro
    We can't pay him for not playing for six years on the chance that he MIGHT be good.

20. Rev-eler

Rev-eler Member

Feb 13, 2000
    San Francisco
    I agree. And as loyal "friends" to them, i think its time we organize an "intervention"

here is the 1st step for organizing this (information obtained from professional website)

Step 1 Do not fear!

Now that you’ve decided to proceed, remind yourself that YOU CAN DO IT! An intervention is a positive confrontation, not a fight with your soccer club. Its’ goal is to put a stop to their compulsive and destructive behavior. In the end (through proper treatment) we hope your soccer club can replace its behavior with healthy, brand new ways of coping with problems and obstacles.

*If you procrastinate because of your fear to proceed, remember that the disease gets progressively worse! The sooner you get the show on the road, the less chance there is that the soccer club in question will cause harm to himself or others. Also, the longer they are allowed to carry on, the less chance there is for recovery. Bad soccer clubs need years of treatment for every year of their compulsive behavior. So, don’t delay!

*If you think perhaps someone else is better suited for the intervention, remember that you may have a better insight into their problems, especially since you’ve done some research. Also, fear has most likely stopped others from approaching you about doing an intervention? If you truly love the soccer club that needs your help and you believe they love you to [this may be the key point here], you may also have the needed leverage to make them realize they need help.

*If you are afraid about planning something behind your soccer club's back (secrets!!), remember that the purpose of the intervention is to get EVERYTHING out in the open. [that is an important point apparently] However, you cannot get through to the soccer club without a planned time and place with the appropriate people present. As a result of your planning, the soccer club may feel tricked (I certainly have) by some of the deceit you will engage in prior to the intervention. That’s why you always explain all your reasons for what you are doing at the beginning of the intervention. At the intervention, you might say :"You know we all love your soccer club and after some discussion, we all…."

Well, that was the teaser. I think we'll have to pay the site for steps 2-6….riders, can you organize the pledge drive?
    :)

21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Magpie's Revs-as-an-alcoholic is the best analogy I've seen for this team in a long time.

And continuing with that same analogy, some of the recent changes suggested, and the mindset that makes these decisions is akin to the person saying they better lay off the whiskey because they know it's a problem. Instead, they'll just drink beer, and a lot of it, since it isn't as strong.

Tom

22. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    Magpie, et. al.
    Those are all excellent points. The Revolution DO need to help themselves with regards to a number of player development and team improvement issues. In this micro-issue with Asad (and Downing and Leonard and...Frias), we see a elements of several macro-issues with MLS as a whole.

First of all, there is no reserve system, nor is their an efficient system (the paperwork alone takes on Kafaka-esque proportions, believe me) for farming players out to the very independent teams of the USL. So, teams are forced to take any opportunity they can, just to get their bench players some playing time.

Next, you come up against the problem of the MLS micro-roster. With 18 senior players and 4 developmental slots, any team with an absolutely average number of injuries can't afford to send their developmental players for loan stints, because they MIGHT need them to compete effectively in league play.

Finally, you have the issue of roster flexibility. Since teams are unable to call players up at will, multiple injuries at a particular position (e.g. the Revolution's crippled 2002 defense) leave a team completely screwed, since they retain a fixed number of developmental players who may or may not fit those positions. Success in the league table often comes down to fitness. Those who have key injuries suffer to a much greater extent in MLS than they do in other leagues.

So essentially you've got to work with what you've got, and any time you send a player out to get match practice or match fitness you gamble that you won't need him for a league match.

The real solution is for MLS to formalize their relationship with the USL, OR (and I think this is a better option) extend their rosters to 26 players with the last 8 slots being developmental. The de facto second squads could then face off prior to the first team matches in a sort of reserve league. This would benefit both the development of talent AND help injured stars work their way back to fitness in a less "sink or swim" fashion.

To summarize, the Revs clearly have problems, but this is something that really is out of their control, to an extent. Within the alcoholic metaphor (and being a recovering alcoholic I should be fairly familiar with the system), the Shaker Asad injury issue is less something the patient might work out in say the 6th or 7th step, but rather it is an issue that we should take to the treatment community, the idea being that giving the alcoholic better ways to deal with his problems will increase the likelihood that he will stop drinking.

John

23. BigFrank

BigFrank New Member

Apr 3, 1999
    Dublin, Ireland
    Say What?

We will forgive this moment of sheer madness.

24. Mike Marshall

Mike Marshall Member+

Feb 16, 2000
    Woburn, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Madness? The guy was a starting defender on a decent U.S. U-20 National Team, and he was an All-American at Maryland.

I think Downing's biggest problem is that he's tactically nieve, and he needs to play games rather than languishing on the Revs bench. I'd actually like to see the Revs try him out in the defensive midfield, where if he makes a mistake, there's still a chance it won't end up in the net. Take advantage of the fact that he's a decent athlete that shows flashes of potential when he's allowed to go forward.

25. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    I think Downing's biggest problem is that he's tactically nieve, and he needs to play games rather than languishing on the Revs bench

As they say, give the man a prize.

The Magpie