[R] LA/Col -- Brian Hall

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by midwestsurfer, Nov 5, 2005.

1. midwestsurfer

midwestsurfer New Member

Jun 7, 2005
    Honolulu~Tulsa
    Oh please. I'm sorry, this game may just be 30min in, but this has been ridiculous.....

Tell me Mastroni didn't deserve a yellow and Cunningham didn't take one of the worst dives ever.

That was incredible.

2. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked like Marshall's foul on Noel should have been a red.

3. Norsk Troll

Norsk Troll Member+

Sep 7, 2000
    Central NJ
    Definately a red on Marshall. Last man AND a tackle from behind.

And who the ******** is the play-by-play idiot??? He just said that Fernando Clavijo played for the United States in the 1982 World Cup!!!

4. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    I'm arguing against a red on Marshall. The laws say "obvious goalscoring opportunity," not "last man back," and that angle wasn't all that easy.

The tackle from behind argument -- in principle, perhaps, but not in precedent.

5. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Direction is one of the main principles of a straight red for Denial of an Obvious Goal Scoring Opportunity, so if he was angling away from goal, you're right, it shouldn't have been a red.

6. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    He wasn't angling away from goal, but he was at the side of the box. He needed to do a lot of work to create a good angle. Not a sure thing at all.

7. Autogolazo

Autogolazo BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 19, 2000
    Bombay Beach, CA

The law also says any violent, intentional tackle from behind should be a red--Marshall's tackle met both criteria. He spiked him hard on the Achilles and wasn't even close to the ball. That's a red, folks.

Plus Hall bought the Cunningham dive.

Another poor showing in crucial moments from the "supposed" best ref in the U.S.

8. Beau Dure

Beau Dure Member+

May 31, 2000
    Vienna, VA
    Oh, definitely -- that was awful. Didn't even make slight contact.

9. paladius

paladius Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Frisco, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hall was horrendous in the Dallas/Colorado game. I mean horrible, and I normally don't complain about refs because I used to be one, and I know how hard it is. Didn't Hall just get selected referee of the year? Hall had me singing "I'm blind, I'm deaf, I want to be a ref" at the FCD/Rapids game.

10. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terry Vaughn reffed the 2nd Rapids/Dallas game (And yes, he was horrible).

11. alf

alf Member+

Jun 29, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Let's just hope he is not the ref at MLS Cup.

Is it possible to rescind his "Referee of the Year" award?

12. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Anybody who saw any of the Fire games Hall reffed this year knows that Hall is incompetent. Him being named ref of the year is a sad joke and shows how poor MLS refs are.

13. chad

chad Member+

Jun 24, 1999
    Manhattan Beach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hall was embarassing. I thought Marshall should have seen red for the violent slide from behind, not for denying an obv. goal scoring opp. or being last man. Hall gave a card on a no-contact dive. Didn't give Mastro a 2nd yellow.

BUT, hey, it wasn't Hall's fault that Cunningham was so bad. Or Kirovski.

14. feuerfex

feuerfex Member

Apr 21, 2001
    This was Hall's third absolutely atrocious match in a row. How the hell can MLS allow this to occur?

15. Theseofam

Theseofam Member

Feb 10, 2005
    Easy. By paying peanuts to the refs

16. Asprilla9

Asprilla9 Member

Dec 15, 2000
    Beaverton, OR
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    is Hall on schedule to "embarrass" his home country at WC '06?? methinks he was the highest rated CONCACAF referee.

btw, i'm not saying he's bad ... i'm using your guys's language, that's why it's in quotes.

17. Teleturn

Teleturn New Member

Dec 9, 2003
    Salt Lake City
    I didn't really understand the called-back corner kick.

Was the foul committed by LA? - in which case advantage should be played to Colorado.

Or, was the foul committed by Colorado? - in which case shouldn't it be a goal kick to LA?

Hall blew the whistle after the ball was played, which makes it a live ball no?

What is the rule for fouls on dead ball situations?

Anyway, I had high hopes seeing Hall in person in Salt Lake this year. I was quite disappointed with how he called both games. I think MLS refs need a little competition from the bench and probably higher pay. They are so important to the quality of the sport.

18. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Strangely enough, Hall has received very strong reviews at every international tournament he has worked, and has done fairly well officiating CONCACAF World Cup qualifiers. I've watched many of his MLS matches, and a good number of his international matches, and wondered how they could possibly be the same man. His worst international matches are better than his best MLS matches.

19. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    It's because his ego is bigger than the league.

20. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

It's all part of the AEG conspiracy, duh.

21. rhymeorreason

rhymeorreason Member

Nov 16, 2004
    OPKS
    My other justification for showing Marshall red on the tackle - in addition to "from behind" and "cleats up" is how far away he was when he began his slide and how far away he was from the ball when he committed the foul.

Clearly, no attempt to play the ball in a reckless and violent manner.

22. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the Marshall tackle was a red card. Close enough to DOGSO, and a bad tackle from behind besides. No guts from the ref there.

Hall had some VERY bad moments, but he was an improvement over the refs for the last 2 LA playoff games against SJ, who let things get out of hand. Okulaja for the 1st game, and I can't remember the 2nd guy - Vaughn?

23. profiled

profiled Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 7, 2000
    slightly north of a mile high
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Do you think his realization that he should have red carded maestroni and didn't had anything to do with his not issuing a red card?

I felt it should have been a red card as well, at least that was my initial reaction, I haven't had a chance to go back and review the play yet.

24. scaryice

scaryice Member

Jan 25, 2001
    Prus (I believe)

25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The only thing that makes sense to me is that it was a foul on LA before the ball was kicked, and he was criminally slow in blowing the whistle and stopping play.