(R) College Hockey 2003-2004 Season Thread

Discussion in 'Ice Hockey' started by Zenit, Oct 7, 2003.

1. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    it is that time again....Gophers open up their campaign for the Three-peat this coming weekend in the Maverick Stampede with Maine, Wisconsin & Nebraska-Omaha.

Pre-season poll results:

Team (First Place) Record Pts Last Week
    1 Minnesota (33) 0-0-0 591 1
    2 Boston College (5) 1-0-0 523 3
    3 Michigan (1) 1-0-0 517 2
    4 New Hampshire 0-0-0 470 4
    5 North Dakota 1-0-0 426 5
    6 Boston University 0-0-0 328 6
    7 Harvard 0-0-0 319 7
    8 Ferris State 0-0-0 268 8
    9 Cornell 0-0-0 257 9
    10 Colorado College 0-0-0 242 11
    11 Michigan State 0-0-0 235 10
    12 Denver (1) 2-0-0 208 13
    13 Maine 0-0-0 157 12
    14 Ohio State 1-1-0 70 14
    15 Minnesota-Duluth 0-1-1 63 15

Others Receiving Votes: Dartmouth 34, Minnesota State 28,
    St. Cloud State 11, Wisconsin 11, Northern Michigan 10,
    Brown 8, Massachusetts 6, Clarkson 5, Providence 5,
    Bemidji State 3, St. Lawrence 2, Mercyhurst 1,
    Miami 1, Nebraska-Omaha 1

Conference previews:

Atlantic Hockey http://www.uscho.com/m/ah/
    CCHA http://www.uscho.com/m/cc/
    CHA http://www.uscho.com/m/ch/
    ECAC http://www.uscho.com/m/ec/
    Hockey East http://www.uscho.com/m/he/
    WCHA http://www.uscho.com/m/wc/

2. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Having been banned from the USCHO forums, I look forward to an entertaining season of college hockey talk right here.

BC opened up Saturday afternoon with a 5-3 beating of Vermont up north. From all accounts it was nowhere near that close.

We have a hellish road schedule, playing Minnesota-Duluth this Friday in East Lansing then most likely Michigan State the next day, then a pair at North Dakota the following weekend, before our home opener Oct 24 (the night before the football game) against the Losin' Irish.

Hockey East play opens up November 5 at home against Mass-Lowell, and we have an early meeting with BU on December 5 at Conte Forum before a pair on January 16/17. At UNH on November 12 then a pair on February 27/28; home to Maine on November 7 before a pair on March 5/6. First-round Beanpot opponent is Harvard, and we'll meet them on February 2.

I'm excited for the pair of games against UND, I'm hoping we'll come away from that with a win and a draw--any of you guys out in the midwest had a look at the Sioux so far this year?

3. SueB

SueB New Member

Mar 23, 1999
    Waterbury, VT
    Yes, the BC-Vermont game was nowhere near that close for the first 56 minutes. Then at 4-0, with four minutes left, Vermont scored three straight goals (even without lifting the goalie) to make it 4-3, which I'm certain made some sphincters tighten on the BC bench. An empty netter in the last minute sealed it for the Eagles. At least the fightback gives some hope that Vermont will have some fighting spirit this season.

4. Zenit

Zenit Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 3, 2000
    Above the Tear Line
    Club:
    Zenit St Petersburg
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    http://siouxsports.com/hockey/articles/32.htm

Haven't seen them yet, of course, but they had a good recruiting class & look to be the same ol' Sioux....tough.

5. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    Michigan looks strong again. We lost seniors John Shouneiya (7-28-35) and Jed Ortmeyer (18-16-34) but our excellent underclassmen from last year return for their sophomore or junior seasons-- Jeff Tambellini (26-19-45), Eric Nystrom (15-11-26), Milan Gajic (11-10-21) and goalie Al Montoya (played all 43 games, 30 W 10 L 3 T, .911 Sv%, 2.33 GAA). Add to that another great batch of freshmen (TJ Hensick scored two this weekend) and we should be leading contenders for the CCHA title and hopefully another visit to the Frozen Four.

6. quackman

quackman Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Michigan is looking good this year. The only thing I really see us lacking is a great passing center in the Kevin Hilton mold. Maybe Ebbett can be that player, but I'm not sure. I also worry a bit about the power play.

7. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Oh, I really want to see what Vanek can do.

8. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    A tough roadie is the best thing for you guys, Alex. And do me a favor. Kick ND's ass in hockey, OK? None of this tie crap like last year.

9. whirlwind

whirlwind New Member

Apr 4, 2000
    Plymouth, MI, USA
    When I think of great passing centers, Brendan Morrison comes to mind before Kevin Hilton... ;)

10. quackman

quackman Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Obviously, Brendan was the superior player. He, however, looked to shoot as often as he looked to pass. I was thinking of one of the guys who doesn't put up many goals himslef, but whose wingers put up big totals. Hilton was the Michigan player in that mold that came to mind. In the NHL some of the notable ones have been Craig Janney and Adam Oates. (Does it show that I stopped watching the NHL 6 years ago? I'm sure there are still some players of that ilk, I just can't think of any.)

11. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    Today's scores

Merrimack 4, Sacred Heart 2
    Wayne, Mich. 4, St. Lawrence 4, tie
    Miami (Ohio) 8, Michigan 3
    N. Michigan 2, Bowling Green 1
    Notre Dame 5, Ohio St. 2
    W. Michigan 4, Ferris St. 2

Icebreaker
    First Round
    Boston College 2, Minn.-Duluth 2, tie
    Findlay 4, Michigan St. 3

Maverick Stampede
    First Round
    Maine 4, Minnesota 0

Q-Cup
    First Round
    Air Force 4, Bentley 2
    Quinnipiac 3, American International 2, OT

Exhibition
    Army 3, Ryerson 1
    Bemidji St. 7, Concordia-Montreal 1

Not sure about UNO-Sconnie, but it's safe to assume that the Badgers won handily.

12. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
  13. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    Trooper,

I know that at this point it's all rather meaningless but talk about some shocking results.

Miami putting an eight-ball on Michigan?
    Findlay over Michigan State?
    ND (BC are the real fighting Irish, btw) over OSU?
    Black Bears over Minny? Not a shock, but, wow.

Minnesota was the best team in the country the last two years and were rightful champs.

But the beauty of college hockey is that 6-8 teams could end up winning it all.

14. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
  15. obie

obie New Member

Nov 18, 1998
    NY, NY
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who the hell are Findlay?

16. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    I'd agree. After a Friday-Saturday split at UND, playing in Durham, Orono, and especially Babcock Street will be no problem.

Anyway, we only managed a 2-2 tie with UMD, but won the shootout so we will advance to the Icebreaker final (altho it officially goes down as a tie). This isn't neccesarily a good thing, since Findlay (I've never heard of them either) upset Michigan State in their game and won't pose as much of a challenge in the final as the Spartans would have, but it'll be good to get some (admittedly meaningless) silverwear early in the year.

Beanpot, Hockey East regular season, Hockey East tournament, National Championship......Icebreaker

Don't worry. We'll stomp 'em on the gridiron, too, just like last year.

17. Chowderhead

Chowderhead Member

Aug 3, 1999
    Central Falls, RI
    They're between Toledo and Bowling Green in Ohio, iirc.

18. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2001
    Jakarta
    This just in:

UNO opened the Maverick Stampede 3rd Place game with three straight goals. #1 Minnesota answered with two to close out the second period and five more in the third.

Final score Gophers 7 Baby Mavs 3

'Sota went 2-6 on the power play and outshot UNO 45-21. Tallackson, Ballard, Guyer, Irmen and Smaagaard each had a goal while Stevens had two.

19. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In a true stunner, there were 1000 empty seats at the Whittemore Center last night, as the Wildcats dismissed Merrimac by a 4-1 score. It looks as though Casey Guenther will be a worthy successor to Joe Exter in goal for Merrimac, but it also looks like he will be at least as busy as Exter. UNH outshot Merrimac 14-0 in the 1st period and got 3 of their 4 on the power play.

20. quackman

quackman Member

Feb 25, 2001
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Geez, I forgot all about Exter. I heard a lot of coverage about his condition for about two weeks after the game he got hurt, and then nothing else. What's his current status?

21. Craig P

Craig P BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just curious, what was your handle on USCHO?

22. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Last I knew, he was pretty well recovered and looking to work into shape at MC and maybe catch on with a minor league team.

23. NER_MCFC

NER_MCFC Member

May 23, 2001
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I saw (in a Hockey East preview) that he is an assistant (probably unpaid) coach at Merrimac at the moment.

24. Craig P

Mar 26, 1999
    Eastern MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FYI - Merrimack is spelled with a 'k' (except for the town/city in Massachusetts).

25. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Chevy2006. I got banned with less than 10 posts, too. Check out the "Big East Predictions Thread" :D