[R] Adopted Cousin of Other MLS Teams' News Thread

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by EL MONO MARIO, Jun 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So TFC out and out fired Paul Mariner; not back to TD (or whatever he was) just fired. That organization truly is a paragon of stability.

2. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    They hired a coach with no coaching experience whatsoever?? Ryan Nelson? Does Moronto think he is Ben Olsen?

3. Smithsoccer1721

Smithsoccer1721 Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Middle of the Table
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know I was just trying to be silly.

kgilbert78 repped this.
  4. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ok, I'll rep you for that. :D

5. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is that now their 6th or 7th manager in their time now in the MLS? There is one thing to be recognize what doesn't work and be decisive - which is what I wish we were. But this issue is clearly that they've got no idea where to begin.

6. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    They just hired the dude from DC to run the ship - he obviously wants "his own" head coach running things. He saw what worked (at least for a season) with Olsen in DC and figured he could do the same with another ex-player of his - Ryan Nelson. Only time will tell if he's right or not...

7. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd take Mariner as coach in a heartbeat.

8. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With who we have, very few would be a downgrade.

9. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Really? You think RW is among the absolute worst coaches in the league? I'm hardly a RW apologist, but this is absurd. He's no where near the best, but I would think his track record, even if some of it was with Sigi's talent, suggests he's somewhere near the middle.

10. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Middle?
    the problem is the Middle coaches are trending UP...
    Where exactly are we trending?

11. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Goff: Nelsen will not be at the combine or the MLS draft. He will continue to play for QPRfor now. Near future still vague.

This just seems really weird. Yeah I can't wait to coach the team... but I won't be a central figure in player acquisition for my first season.

QPR: "Nelsen under contract until June 30 but has requested to enter dialogue to discuss when he will join up with TFC"

12. eboe

eboe Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    May 23, 2006
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I sure as shit cannot see Duncs going to the team we all hate. Him included. He is Crew through and through.

13. DAK77

DAK77 Member+

Nov 10, 2008
    Merion Village, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would hate to see it but I wouldn't blame him if he wants to further himself as a coach and make some more coin

14. JayFunkeyFresh

Jul 10, 2004
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're trending downward, absolutely. I don't blame all of that on RW. A lot of it, yea. But I have a hard time believing he's among the worst in the league, either way. Give me another year or two of RW at the helm and I might think differently.

15. cam5fc

cam5fc Member+

Sep 23, 2008
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Absolutely, I do. And it's not absurd. A mediocre coach could sustain the wealth of talent that was handed to him. RW destroyed it.

Nearly immediately we saw talented players develop a knack for playing below expectations where they thrived under Sigi. We saw established players in roles that excelled the status of the team have their roles changed that lessened the positive impact they could have had.

Tactics and adaptability are shameful, and only the current talent that we DO have even keeps this ship a float. Without that talent, we'd've been eliminated much sooner than when we were.

Kayak repped this.
  16. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Record shows that we had a slight trend up last season. Now maybe that was due to new teams and a different schedule--but we had MORE POINTS last year than the year before. Fact. Sorry.

That being said, this is the OTHER TEAMS NEWS THREAD. The "I hate Bob" thread is elsewhere. Please go there.

17. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    So is hiring a coach with no experience not a good idea (Nelsen) or a great idea (GBS pre- Lanus)?

18. Psycho_Derek

Psycho_Derek Member+

Nov 18, 2005
    BBC article here. Would not have posted to be honest, but something caught my eye

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/20946699

just note that "Franchise" is a word with big negative connotations in England. I thought it was an interesting choice of words when a simple "team" would have sufficed.

19. Skeleton Crew

Skeleton Crew Member+

Mar 20, 2009
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    On point with OTHER TEAMS: specifically the coaches.
    You have to attribute the OA point total to more games and new teams. but comparing our coach to other teams...well I am Jealous of more than a few teams. Houston, RSL, LA, Seattle and that guy at KC come to mind. ...heck i would even take that prick from DC who somehow made a playoff run despite his best player(s) being severely injured for long stretches.

(hold on while i vomit from that last statement.)

20. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    kgilbert78 repped this.
  21. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    So RSL get Robbie Findley rights back from Portland for ??? he will apparently sign with them.

22. invalid

invalid Member

Apr 2, 2003
    Seattle
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I find it hilarious that, at the very least, TFC's new coach is going to miss the draft and the start of the season.

23. Kayak

Kayak Member+

Feb 16, 2007
    Columbus
    Porter not mincing words about Kris Boyd not working in his system. So how will they unload him?

24. BrickStreetBoy

Oct 3, 2012
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm not too up to date on Portland, is Kris Boyd good, but not for the possession based game that Porter wants or is Kris Boyd bad?

25. NC Soccer United

NC Soccer United BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jan 25, 2011
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Kris Boyd was a flop. Big time. Hardly had a work rate. I can't imagine Caleb Porter playing him at all unless he all of a sudden has a work rate.