Révolution Rouge et Noire - Stade Rennais Thread

Discussion in 'France: Clubs' started by gary_rb, Feb 24, 2005.

1. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Metz 1 - Rennes 1

It's getting better... :rolleyes: but will Rennes win a match away before the end of the season ?

2. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Rennes is sporting a very cool shirt I gotta say. Even the away kit grows on you (black and white, same colors as the SCO).

iougs-

3. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Frei & Monterrubio, best attacking duo in ligue 1 !!

reads : when adding the number of goal scored to the number of assists, here is the ranking of the best five players in Ligue 1.

BTW, Frei : top goal scorer, Monterrubio : top assist

source

4. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    They have a lot of good players so shouldnt they be doing better than 10th place in the league ? Frei, Monterrubio, Kallstrom, Sorlin, etc. with players like that the team should be doing a lot better.

5. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    That's why, we're still wondering !! For once, we have some kind of stability, we need to get rid of this away games jinx and the players should be more liberated. If Rennes succeeds in having a decent start next season, we might not challenge for the title but this could be interesting. This team lacks a little bit of confidence and recognition.

6. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Your not gonna get any stabilty because players will leave. Sorlin is already probably going to Monaco and others could also leave. This was your year to get something done.

7. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Everything depends on the number of leaving players, if we keep our duo and don't disrupt the rest, that should be OK.

8. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Cider for everyone !!

[​IMG]

Yeah ! We don't do champagne in Brittany...

Hard to believe, of all teams to play on away game : Toulouse 0 - Rennes 2 !

Rennes lying fifth at the moment in ligue 1, is that a dream ? If it is, please don't wake me up ! ;)

Kudos to Frei and Kallstrom for that perfomance (er, I'm not sure that reading too much BS posts is good for my English expression...). I don't know how to feel about that, because had we achieved that earlier in the season with very much the same team, we would probably fight for the third spot right now...Well, let's wait and see. I'd be delighted if we clinched an UEFA spot.

Here we come !

[​IMG]

:D

9. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    No no Rennes must not make the Champions League. The Champions League must be Lyon, Marseille and Monaco. They will spend more money to win than Rennes, Lille and Auxerre will and if your a true French football fan you want the teams there that have the best chance to advance. Rennes should just take the UEFA Cup that is better for them. The Champions League is for Europe's elite and Rennes do not belong there.

10. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Wishful thinking anyway, the final standings will decide.

Hey, there's always have to be a first time, no ?

11. Marsiglia29

Marsiglia29 New Member

Feb 27, 2004
    Breizh,Celtic,Brest
    yes, Rennes in Champions League

Rennes est aussi riche que Monaco

y'a 5 ans qui aurait dit que Lyon serait la meilleur equipe en France? pas moi en tout cas.

Rennes peut faire comme Lyon, faut pas oublié que le president et Milliardaire.

si Rennes ce qualifie pour la Champions League, y peuvent ce prendre 1 ou 2 grand joueurs, si le president veut.

Tous les Bretons sont fier que Rennes soit bien Classé en Championnat

Allez Les Rennais
    Toute la Bretagne avec Les Clubs Bretons
    Vive La Bretagne

12. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Breizh Atao !

Croisons les doigts. Mais une accession à l'UEFA serait bien aussi ; dans les deux cas, cela pourrait décomplexer l'equipe et motiver une ou deux "pointures" à montrer le bout de leur nez. :)

13. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Marsiglia reminded me that Rennes is owned by François Pinault, one, if not the wealthiest entrepreneur in France...I think the boss might release some paying checks in case his team achieves something like that.

But, the US federal gvt might think otherwise since they intend to sue him in the 'Executive Life' scandal. :rolleyes:

14. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    If Rennes is owned by one of the wealthiest men in France then why not try to buy a bigger team then ? This guy is richer than JM Aulas then why does Lyon have a much bigger budget than Rennes ? It cant only be because of Champions League money. I know Lyon is the 3rd largest French city Im not sure where Rennes ranks. I'm sure Rennes is a fine city but if I was a very wealthy French guy I would try to buy St. Etienne, Bordeaux, Racing Paris or some other team that has huge potential.

15. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    because Pinault is from there ... Why is it so hard to understand ?

If I had cash, I would buy out my hometown team by becoming president and make it go up the ranks. I would not be interested in any other team.

iougs-

16. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Besides what iougs said, Stade Rennais Football Club was founded in 1901, it's a centennial club which has a long tradition in French despite having a cupboard loaded only with two French Cups. Plus, the city and the club are very important for Brittany. A Breton goes all around the world but always come back in his dear land... :D

17. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Yeah but Nantes have traditionally been a bigger club than Rennes. Nantes have more supporters and better attendence and have won more trophies. The difference is that Rennes has a wealthy owner who seems to want to spend money while the Nantes owner is a cheapskate. Also Rennes are in 5th and Nantes are near the bottom of the table. My point is that Nantes deserve to be a bigger club than Rennes based on what I said with the history.

18. Fobal klub

Fobal klub Member

Feb 27, 2004
    France
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Then ST Etienne should be a bigger club than Lyon ...

19. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    and Reims should have been a bigger club than St Etienne, etc etc ...

Rennes could be the next Chelsea for all we know ...

iougs-

20. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    hey all :) long time no see

so that's how you consider football ? past has already shown that good performances don't follow the money spent on a team. just look at PSG, at today's real madrid, at stade rennais just 5 years back.. no, it's not that easy.. why do you think stade rennais is unworthy to play europe ? because they have only won 2 trophies in their entire history ? what the hell, do you think Lille is unworthy to compete in europe ? they have earned their place, more than monaco and marseille, they deserve their spot better than these teams, because they worked hard and with less money.. some days ago there was a survey on www.sports.fr, asking who people would like to see as the 3rd team (following Lyon and Lille) in CL next season, and guess who won the survey ? Rennes, with a large advance on other teams, such as OM, PSG or ASM. why would we be unworthy of playing in CL or UEFA ? of course, we might not be good enough to perform well in CL, but do you objectively think OM would be good enough ?? or PSG ??? is it because they have a more prestigious past that they are more WORTHY ?

now most people don't share your vision, a lot of people see Rennes play great football, that the team and the staff are hard working people, that we don't spend huge amounts of cash on players..

time will tell anyway, may it be intertoto, uefa or CL, we are pretty sure to play a european cup next season, we will play the one we deserve to play, that's all that needs to be said.. and good luck to Lille, they deserve to play CL, even considering their poor past -sigh-

21. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    I didnt say they were unworthy to play in Europe I said they dont deserve to play in the Champions League against the top European clubs. I think they are much better suited for the UEFA Cup.

Because its a joke that they are gonna have to play their home Champions League games in the stadium of their hated rival. That's embarassing. Plus they wont make it out of the group stage and Monaco and Marseille will have a better chance to do that because they can spend more money than Lille. I dont wanna see Lille in the Champions League unless they have their 33,000 seat stadium built.

I wanna see the teams in who have the best chance of advancing the furthest. OM, PSG, and ASM all have a much better chance of doing better in Europe than Rennes do. Its plain and simple.

Yes because OM and PSG are bigger clubs than Rennes. If OM and PSG, traditonally the 2 biggest clubs in France have only won 1 European trophy between them how many do you think Rennes would win

Nope it has nothing to do with past its because they are larger cities with more money and fans than Rennes.

You have to spend to win unless you play defensive counter attacking football.

Ok fine let all of Europe laugh at Lille as they watch them play in a half empty stadium thats not even theirs.

22. iougs

iougs New Member

Jan 8, 2004
    MetroWest Boston
    Who cares if Europe laughs at Lille, Rennes's kit is the best !

iougs-

23. Nanbawan

Nanbawan Member

Jun 11, 2004
    Haute Bretagne
    Club:
    Stade Rennais FC
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Dervez mad, mon gars. I thought your plane crashed in Uzbekistan... :D

24. gary_rb

gary_rb New Member

Dec 21, 2003
    Rennes
    I don't agree with that, and it is proven in Ligue1 today. You can build a strong team without huge amounts of money, what you need is clever recruiting, clever coaching and a strong team spirit, and it's something PSG and OM will never understand. you don't build a team with money, otherwise you have a team of inefficient mercenaries.
    so you think OM and PSG would do better in european competition than Lille or Rennes, ok this is your opinion, i have mine also.. and i'm rolling on the floor laughing ;) yeah PSG is a very strong side, they have shown it along this season, they really deserve to play in CL.. because they have money and fans. great. how come New York and Taipei aren't the best teams in the world ?

hey Nanbawan :) i've just came back with the A380 ;)