Quite Frankly..

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by garion, Dec 16, 2005.

1. garion

garion New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    San Jose
    Tonights episode on ESPN2 has Tommy Smith, Alexi Lalas and Don Garber...the whole show is about MLS and the world cup

2. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    In case you missed it, like I did, it will be repeated at 2am, Eastern Time, Saturday morning.

3. NBlue

NBlue Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Orlando, Florida
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was absolutely shocked at how well done this program was. I've never been a big Steven A. Smith fan but he did an absolutely superb job and the interviews were great: Bruce Arena, Alexi Lalas, Tommy Smythe, Don Garber and even Steve Nash were all impressive.

I highly recommend you TIVO the show or stay up and watch it if you missed the first one!

4. Midnight Attack

Mar 13, 2005
    U.S.A|Jamaica|DCU
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have to watch this now.

5. smcg

smcg New Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Minnesota
    I was flippen through channels and was shocked to see Arena's face on TV. The show was great and I liked how they through Steve Nash in there. I thought Garber looked a little uncomfortable anwsering the question about the womens leauge.

6. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Quite Frankly is on now..

7. kingjackdaniel

Jul 16, 2004
    Dyer, IN
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow! This is pretty good. It's about time ESPN dedicate some time to the beautiful game. I'm suprised how well Alexi is doing too!

8. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What happened to interviewing Bruce Arena? Did they cut the show short?

9. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I know I missed Clap Your Hands Say Yeah! on Conan but I don't see how I could of missed the Bruce.

10. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the show usually an hour long, or has it always been a half show?

11. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I encourage any and all of you to write an email to Stephen A. Smith for showcasing soccer on his show. Drop him a line at ssmith@phillynews.com

As for the show, I think it was well done and really spoke the truth about the sport. Smith wanted the panel to argue why soccer is going to become big and they responding in full force. I believe Smith believes soccer is the next biggest thing, and we will talk about the big 4. I hope we see more specials as the world cup nears.

12. CyphaPSU

CyphaPSU Member+

Mar 16, 2003
    Not Far
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How did I miss this!?!? Ugh!

(Any torrents? :eek: )

13. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya someone post it up

14. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I liked the way Stephen gave a hard time to the professor who dissed soccer's chances in America:

"Do you actually believe soccer has no chance of becoming a major sport in America, or is that what you WANT to believe?"

15. SoccerTown USA

Mar 20, 1999
    The replay of the show must have been cut. When it aired earlier, Abby Wambach was also interviewed at the end of the show.

16. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    will they repeat the piece again any time soon?........

17. dmike

dmike Member

Jul 7, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    linkkkkkkk

18. Tyler66

Tyler66 New Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I was flipping throuhg the channels and saw the last 20 minutes. I watch his show regulary, it is good.

19. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I just finished watching the show on tivo. The theme was similar to the poker show he did a few months back. I like how Steven Smith does shows on things he knows nothing about. It's rather courageous.

The problem I had with the show was that no one gave him an answer as to why soccer isn't popular in the US. The professor tried from an academic standpoint, but his points where all over the place.

Alexi and Garber did their best to avoid the overall theme of the show. They stated over and over that MLS is growing every year. This may be true, but the fact is they didn't address why soccer isn't a maor sport here while it's THE sport almost everywhere else.

20. kwdawson

kwdawson New Member

Nov 28, 2003
    Florida
    Steve Nash was the only person who gave a direct answer. He said because of the lack of history of soccer in america.

21. Chowda

Chowda Member

Sep 13, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah, I liked Steve Nash's fan perspective. I still don't think the host left the show knowing any more than when it began.

Even though soccer is #2 in participation, it has a major issue when it comes to building a fanbase for the professional game. That issue is a lot of parents get their kids into soccer because it is one of the safest sports at the youth level.

I'm not saying this is a bad thing. However this, along with some of the anti-competition setups is some youth leagues, contributes to the image that it isn't a sport to be taken seriously.

Here's a link to a BS thread on some lawmakers trying to make soccer super-duper safe:

Monty's opine