Questions to ponder

Discussion in 'Pro Indoor Soccer' started by bomp, Feb 26, 2007.

1. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    1. How many teams make the playoffs this season in the MISL?

2. Who is Penfield Marketing and what do they do to/for the MISL?

3. Will Versus sell the ads on the TV matches or someone else?

4. Any news on KC?

2. CharlesMD

CharlesMD Red Card

Nov 11, 2005
    1. Guess 4 again.

3. the shelts

the shelts Member+

Jun 30, 2005
    Providence RI
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    Penfield is a marketing group first and a sales outfit second. The long and the short of it is if you send MISL an email or letter or call FM and say "I know a guy who wants to buy a team in _______" you generally are eligble for a sales lead or 'seed money'. Penfield is used to generate leads and in turn get seed money bonus'

Penfield attacks the job from a kind of unique perspective, they (now this is as I understand it so if anyone from Penfield comes on here then please correct me as I have never had any first hand contact with them....) try and market the league to the "right" kind of demographic. They try and do a marketing strategy, a focus and build kind of a comprehensive marketing plan to throw into your business.

They also are the first contacts for new expansion money, they (should) go to current owners of other similar sized business' - ie minor hockey, baseball etc. and try and give them a reason why that business should be interested in MISL. Also they are the first points of contact of virgin leads, which is anyone who doesn't know the six current owners or FM.

THis way if some lunatic wins the lottery and wants to start a team called the Waco Davidians or Los Angeles Race Riot, they kind of steer them away so FM only gets a legitamate lead.

THen its up to Fresh Money to close the deal.

4. MISLreality

MISLreality New Member

Sep 9, 2006
    KC is out. The group that was trying to buy a team, dropped it to get into the chance of landing the Pittsburg hockey team.
    No KC.

5. LEFTenant Lunacy

LEFTenant Lunacy New Member

Jan 5, 2007
    Well, if this lunatic wins the lottery, I am buying the Fire *and* the Storm. PW will be GM/CEO of the Fire, and.... hmmm... Hey, Kenn, you need a job?
    I don't care if it takes me 50 years to lose the whole damned thing.

6. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

Thanks for filling us in. I was wondering about that.

On the KC situation, I figured that was going to happen. Really pathetic. :(

7. wsls9999

wsls9999 Member

Aug 15, 2006
    Salisbury, MD
    Why does anyone have to buy KC, I thought the plan was to have Kincaid come back in 2 years in the new arena, no ownership change.

8. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    lol that's a good one.

Actually if that was going to happen at all (and I never really thought it would) it was going to happen when a new suburban arena was completed (none are even currently under development).

9. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any word on what KC MO is going to do with the spiffy new stadium they're building but can't find a tenant for?

10. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'll ask heem, but I doan theenk he'll be very keen...he's already got one, you see. :D

11. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.

I'm sure that AEG will figure it out. Kemper and Sprint in KC? Is Kemper in a good neighborhood?

I am surprised that KC won't be back next season. I agree with Syd that Kincaid wasn't going to return unless something happened. That was Ryan-speak for sure.

Unlike San Diego where an idiot "owner" did real damage to the market, KC, Dallas and St. Louis should be in. Sad.

12. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not much of a neighborhood at all. It's just kinda....out there.

13. docsummers

docsummers New Member

May 26, 2006
    no comets..there has been nothing in the paper for over a year...

the neighborhood is in the downtown stockyard area...few resturants and wherehouses.
    i believe they are converting some of the old buildings down there into lofts.....
    i went to just about every home game the comets ever had from 1985 till they left..pretty sad.....

14. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    NO St. Louis in 2007-08 either....at least under Dave Checketts' group - SCP Worldwide. I called their office yesterday and one of their reps told me they have no intensions on bringing indoor soccer back to the Scottrade Center.

That doesn't mean another ownership group can't do at Scottrade Center....or even the Family Arena. I'm sure Checketts wouldn't turn down the $17,000 in rent per game he would get.

However, I don't think Steve Ryan has any takers for St. Louis. So we're left with the new women's outdoor team.

15. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    You know, I hit reply and then I said, "No I'm not going to start another pissing match with Redhawk1" and then you snarked me again on another thread.

So I have to ask what happened to that very serious group you were working very closely with to bring indoor soccer back to St. Louis?

16. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But....but...Dave Checketts loves soccer. He'd jump at the chance to host the MISL Finals as a test for putting an indoor team in St.Louis next year! :rolleyes:

17. Redhawk1

Redhawk1 Member

May 12, 2006
    Syd: Things don't always work out the way you want them to.

Kenn: I was being sarcastic with those comments. However, Checketts does love soccer....MLS.

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Checketts likes money and likes running teams and likes being a mogul. I don't believe he loves soccer, unless he's recently come to that conclusion.

19. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    I can relate to that. I kept coming to the office at The E Center for a couple weeks after the team had for all intents and purposes folded until one day the Grizzlies finally evicted me from my desk.

I can appreciate what you were trying (and are still trying) to do.

20. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

Did you keep your red stapler?

21. NSL2004

NSL2004 Member+

Jul 23, 2002
    No, no! It was nothing like that!

Although...when they moved my desk I did threaten to burn down the building.

22. bomp

bomp New Member

Dec 22, 1999
    Baltimore, MD.
    I'm very sorry to hear this, Hawk. Not a good sign. Of course, Checketts has a ton of other issues to deal with including Unreal SLC.

23. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    You sound like Jim Fossell. He's still maintaining the Steamers web site.

Ah, the women's team. Already being referred to as Cooper's Folly. (Jeff Cooper is the investor who's behind this team for those who do not know.)

24. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    By you, apparently.

25. Krycek

Krycek New Member

Aug 3, 2006
    Among others who live in and/or know the St. Louis area.