Question?

Discussion in 'Soccer in the USA' started by savan, Nov 28, 2004.

1. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Stupid question... But.... What Europe calls football, you guys call soccer.
    What you call football, we call...well...nothing..
    But what do you guys call the ball that's used in soccer? Football? Soccerball? Ball?
    And what about the ball that is used in American football?

I'm kind of confused..
    :rolleyes:

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    We play soccer with a soccer ball, obviously.
    Our 'American' football is played with a football.

3. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Soccer ball?
    Oh well.... :rolleyes: ;)

4. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

And what do they call an elementary school education over there?

5. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    OK that's a weird question. We call it a soccer ball or a ball. I think for just about every sport here people just settle on ball since with the exception of football they're all round and generally with whatever you're doing with the ball people pretty much get which ball to bring. No one ever brings baseballs or volleyballs to soccer practice unless it's a joke or they're stupid.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    But why is it called a "football" when you hardly ever use your feet with the "ball" and well it's not really a ball but an oval ball.

7. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

I dunno, why is it called a hamburger if there's no ham in it?

8. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What do you call the ball used in Rugby? Criket (spelled wrong I am sure)?
    In Hockey the ball isn't a ball it is a puck. We tend to call the ball used for the sport what it is, IE: Baseball a baseball, football a football and so on

9. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not entirely true, punts a pretty common in the game, as well as kickoffs, and field goals. More kicking then in a rugby game.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Because the hamburger came from a city in Germany called Hamburg.

I would say kicking is more frequent in Rugby, but still it ain't called FOOTBALL.

11. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Oh, good, a scholar. Now...why is it called a Chicken Kiev if it's not from Kiev?

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Chicken Kiev - This famous method of preparing chicken or pheasant is not of Russian origin as the name Kiev would imply. It was invented by Appert, A Frenchman who invented the canning of food and is called Chicken Supreme. The name Kiev was given this method of preparing chicken or pheasant by eary New York restaurants to try to please the many Russian immigrants. The name went back to Europe and is and was used in many places to describe Chicken Supreme. :D :D

So please tell me now why American Football is called Football when you hardly use your feet and use an oval ball.

13. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Red Card

Feb 13, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ya know I think you are right, Rugby has more kicking in it.
    Why do they call it Aussie Rules Football?
    Isn't there a Gaelic Football as well?

14. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

Good job. And scarecrow is right, whether it's association or gridiron or rugby or Aussie rules, it's still called football. No sense in hating on American football as it's not the only one with the oval ball.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    Well Aussie Rules still requires a lot of kicking and comes from Gaelic football.

Since we're on about Aussie Rules, I would just like to say I think it is the worst sport ever known to man apart from curling.

16. Roehl Sybing

Roehl Sybing Guest

OK, now you're really pissing me off.

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez
    I never said I hated American Football, hey I used to play Madden on PS2, I just don't see the logic in calling it "football".

May 13, 2004
    Saint Tropez

Big Curling fan? Sorry :D

19. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Well futball isn't called football because it's played with the feet. It was called that because it wasn't played on horse-back.

20. metro24freak

metro24freak New Member

Jul 5, 2004
    philly
    Because Americans are stupid, I'm living proof of that sometimes.

21. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    These threads are so tiring. People who are asking the 'uhhh why do they call it FOOTball' question are just being ignorant. There's always been a ton of threads about this and with just a tiny bit of research you'd find the orignins of the names for both Association Football and American Football. Nevermind, that the logic of 'THEY don't even use their FEET' doesn't really work because you'd then also have to call soccer, Everything But Your Arms, Hands, Elbows and Shoulders Ball.

22. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Well. I said it was an stupid question, so don't call me ignorant.
    If you don't like this thread, leave it and don't bother to answer?

Still.. I personally find it weird for Americans to call the sport where you really use your feet, for soccer. And the sport where you really don't use it that much, for football! But I guess it's all about history...

One question though.. Why do you call the American Football League for "World Series", when it's only one country in it??
    (If I'm right about you guys calling it that......I might be wrong...)

23. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Because American football followed a similar development path to rugby, coming out of association football.

If Yale hadn't been humiliated by Harvard, then maybe American football's development is blunted: http://www.sover.net/~spectrum/overview.html

24. JasonC

JasonC New Member

May 21, 2001
    Billings, Mont.
    Well, try as they may to deny it, "soccer" is a British word, a shortened form of "association football". Back in the 19th century, they had the habit of shortening things and adding an -er on the end. Rugby football became 'rugger' under that format.

Baseball is the "World Series" and has been called that way for 100 years.

There's an urban legend that it's called that because it was first sponsored by the New York World newspaper.

The term "World Championship Series" comes out of the 19th century post-season competitions between the champions of the National League and the American Association. They called it that because both leagues billed their competitions as for "the baseball championship of the United States."

Plus, Albert Spalding (a sports equipment manufacturer who was big into promoting baseball - equipment for which he sold) believed at the time that it wouldn't be too long before teams from Australia and Britain were challenging US teams for a world baseball championship. So he basically devised the name with that eventually in mind. Of course, it never happened.

The name stuck though and was resurrected when the new American League began challenging the National League in a post-season series, because it was a name the public remembered from those NL-AA series. Eventually "World Championship Series" was shortened to simply "World Series."

25. savan

savan New Member

May 16, 2004
    Norway
    Thanks for the explanation! ;) So, all in all, americans are very fond of shortening words? Hehe.. I see! (Who doesn't?..)