Question: When, exactly did the rules of the game change...

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by ragbone, Sep 26, 2021.

1. ragbone

ragbone Member+

Sep 2, 2005
    Santo Tomas, Batangas, Philippines.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    to allow a defender to place BOTH hands on an opponent's back and push him to the ground? It's disgusting that referees allow this to go on.

PRO sucks!

2. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    I saw that too. I also saw wrapping your arms around an attacker on the corner kick right after referee gave a “warning” as apparently totally legal.

2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  3. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Its been illegal for decades and I am unaware of a rule change. Its mostly uncalled when an attacker pushes a defender in the back when the defender is screening the attacker from the ball.

2in10, hav77 and TrickHog repped this.
  4. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Depends on how skilled the defender is at falling down.

2in10, 73Bruin and TrickHog repped this.
  5. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    I don't remember the year or the game, but I remember seeing Landon run up the back of a defender screening him off the ball near the end line. He didn't slow much and pushed the defender with both arms. The defender went flying, I don't think that he could have simulated the speed or distance. No foul was called. I have seem similar plays since then including this year. Again, if it was near the end line, no call was made.

6. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    0:15

2in10, TrickHog, hav77 and 1 other person repped this.
  7. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Wow, that was the play. I was sitting on the east side about 5 yards to the south of the midfield line, so about 70 yards away. The video angle showed the defender kind of hopping over the ball, so there was more simulation then I thought.

Sorry skydog you were right about the acting, but it was still a foul, IMO.

MPNumber9 repped this.
  8. hav77

hav77 Member+

May 31, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I see it called still, but it's wholly inconsistent it seems.

9. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    #9 skydog, Sep 28, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
    Agree that was a massive foul and ref was either incompetent or given terrible guidance on what constitutes a foul. Also I wasnt arguing your general point that this particular foul is undercalled, just pointing out that some players have mastered the head snap back and legs collapsing like they were just hit by a sniper bullet- those players get a lot more favorable foul calls. If Donovans victim would have added the head snap he might have induced a call but honestly it loked like he was caught by surprise by this Alpha Donovan.

Chich is actually good at selling fouls but mercifully doesnt overdo it. Even big old Zlatan was a good actor and knew exactly when to pull out one of his many tricks to get a favorable call. But American players still tend to be naive in this area.

2in10, 73Bruin and shelbo repped this.
  10. MPNumber9

MPNumber9 Member+

Oct 10, 2010
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I remember that play because it was such a blatant foul and lead to a goal right afterward. And yeah, how often does Donovan go full gorilla on somebody?

2in10, skydog, TrickHog and 1 other person repped this.
  11. shelbo

shelbo Member+

Oct 16, 2007
    L.A.
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Damn. I miss that team. Loved Bruce's comments about scrapping and playing hard. We could use some of that these days.

2in10, skydog, hav77 and 2 others repped this.
  12. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Maybe that explains why it wasn't called. The referee must have missed it and then said to himself, "That must have been a dive, no way that Landon pushed him!".

2in10, skydog, MPNumber9 and 3 others repped this.
  13. skydog

skydog Member+

Aug 1, 1999
    Durham, NC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    This, so so much.

I think Joni Mitchell must have time travelled because she wrote a song that was oddly specific to our Galaxy, past and present:

Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you've got til its gone
    They paved paradise,
    put up a parking lot
    (Ooh, bop-bop-bop-bop, ooh, bop-bop-bop-bop)

FlapJack, 2in10 and TrickHog repped this.
  14. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    You know what? I have no problem with a push in the back if your shielding the ball over the line. It should be the price you pay. Now it’s still a foul. A good defender always keeps the ball even when fouled there. If he’s not so casual that LD foul is only a corner.

the one against Austin was defender BEFORE the play arms wrapped 90% around the attacker. The only thing was hands weren’t overlapping in a bear hug so I guess it was just what passed for “good defense” these days.

jimmyodonnell and TrickHog repped this.
  15. 73Bruin

73Bruin Member+

Galaxy
    United States
    Jul 12, 2008
    Torrance, California
    Personally, I hate the way the game is called. If I had my way, there would be a lot more fouls called and cards issued. As Ken Aston, the referee who invented cards once told a referee class that I attended, the referee is there to protect the skilled players from the not-so-skilled.

skydog, 7E23 and TrickHog repped this.