Question to all MLS fans

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by raphael619, Aug 4, 2002.

1. raphael619

raphael619 New Member

Aug 4, 2002
    Hello to you all, I am a crazy football (or soccer is what u call it) fan from England and I would like to know if New York has its own MLS team, if it has is it any good? I am moving to New York soon and I would like to support one of the local team, I dont know anything about the MLS so if you can give me some information I would really appreciate it. Thank you and good luck.

Supporter of Charlton Athletic

2. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    we had one but we burned that mother down

3. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    I think the NY MLS team is the SuperStars or Metro Taxis or some crap like that. I wouldnt know I only follow EPL.

4. Mr Fish

Mr Fish Member

Feb 2, 1999
    W. Orange <-> NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. copaantl98

copaantl98 Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Here's some quick information. We play at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey. You can get there by taking the New Jersey Transit Bus from Times Square, New York. Buses depart 2 hours before gametime. Go to NJTransit.com for more. The worst part about Giants Stadium are the security guards. We think they are Nazis in disguise. Don't bring any food or bags of any kind or else they'll seize it. Hopefully we'll get a new stadium soon. I'm sure you'll enjoy the MLS. The quality of MLS is far better than that of the Premiership. The Metrostars even defeated Bayern Munich on May 26, 2001 after they won the UEFA Champions League. I guess that makes us the champions of Europe.

6. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    He's just kidding about being better than the Premiership. Yank humor takes getting used to; it varies from region to region. In some places dogs will piss on you if you use the word Yank.

He meant the Premiership of Qutar. MLS is better than that.

The rest, about the busses out of Port Authority and the goons at Giants Stadium, is on target.
    Oh yeah, give the security blokes a wide berth, too.

7. MetroZebra

MetroZebra New Member

May 24, 2002
    What are you guys all talking about? The Metrostars are just a bunch of guys who play pick up games. There aren't an actual TEAM...in fact I don't think they even know what that word means. But hey there is this great D3 team called North Jersey that you should check out for some good soccer....

8. microbrew

microbrew New Member

Jun 29, 2002
    NJ
    Don't listen to these so called Metrostar fans- most of them are sarcastic, sadistic, no-good punks. Well, actually forget the punk part.

Seriously, welcome to the US.

Things I think you should know:

* There's this New Jersey/New York problem, as teams claim they're from NY yet play in NJ. Like the main tenants of Giants Stadium.

* Driving/carpooling is the best way to the Meadowlands. Mass transit there is horrible.

* Beer at Giants Stadium is either Budweiser or Miller Lite. (the real reason there's no hooligans in the US). All refreshment and food are way overpriced.

* Players to know, IMHO:
    Clint Mathis: mohawked forward you may know from the World Cup
    Big Mama (Mamadou Diallo): Senegalese forward, known for breaking goal keeper ribs- has been playing well, but gets booed a lot
    Mike Petke: defender prevalent in Metrostar marketing material, getting lots of heat for having a sub-par season
    Tab Ramos: no. 10 who's captain and injured, he's going to retire; had his skull fractured in World Cup '94 by a vicious elbow
    Tim Howard: MLS goal keeper of the year

* New Jersey has no sales tax on clothing.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything under $100 doesn't have any sales tax on it in NY, that is unless you live in one of those perverted counties that decided to tack on a sales tax on clothes.

10. Soccertes

Soccertes Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  11. StarPetke12

StarPetke12 New Member

Aug 7, 2002
    Franklin Square,Ny
    Wait...how come there's sales tax on my clothing...no fair!