Question regarding bye gone days....

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by spot, Jul 7, 2005.

1. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The rumor is being floated that Daniel Hernandez may be in possible talks about possibly joining the Rapids. I'm hoping loyal followers of the Revs can give me some background.

I recall that he had a couple of good years in MLS. Were those all with Metro, or were they with New England as well? Was Clavijo around when he came to NE? Did he and Nicols just not get along? Or, was he never really into joining NE in the first place?

His reputation seems to indicate that he's a problem child. It seems mostly this is due to his history with NE, but he may have had trouble at Metros as well. Is there another side of the story? Has he always been a head case? Is he worth it?

2. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    Headcase yes, but was the best we had at set pieces during his time. Struck a good freekick from 30-35 yards out. Will stick up for team mates, with usually a retaliation foul worthy of a yellow.

3. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From what I remember, a lot of what was going on for Danny off the field was due to family problems and that was part of why he wanted to go to Mexico to play. I know nothing of how that all worked out but if he wants to return things most likely have been resolved.

His on-field skills were and prob still make him a player in the upper 1/3 of MLS players. He has the ability to carry a team on his back (not always, but from from time to time) and usually shows up to play. He would be a good addition to any MLS team---IF---he's motivated. Frenando knows him from both the Mutts and Revs and if he wants to resign him he's probibly sure Danny's ready to play.

My Bottom Line: If you sign him he will be a major factor in getting your team turned around.

4. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree mostly with Doc. The guy can play the game. He did have off-the-field issues due to his family, but I don't recall him not leaving it all on the field ... and not in the DMB type of way. ;)

I don't think he'd be a major cause for a turnaround, but he will help. He'd be a good pick up for the Rapids.

5. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    My sense it that he's a little hard-headed (very opinionated) and that leads to problems with some coaches. I don't think it makes him a problem-child, but I do think it takes the right coach (not SN, but probably FC).

I loved the way he played, although he often seemed frustrated by his teammates inability to recognize the "correct" pass (I was too!). I would think his time in the Mexican League has probably improved his game.

Sounds like an excellent pickup to me.

6. Going Mobile

Going Mobile Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 15, 2004
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from what I remember it all started when he was traded away from LA, there was a deal set to send him to Dallas , which was all fro because it was closer to his family, he was screwed by his coach at the time and sent back east. He was younng hot heaaded and bitter, he didn't care who knew how upset he was. he moved from team to team finally finding a home in Mexico.

I talked to DH a couple monthes ago when Nexaca came to So Cal for a game and asked if there was chance of him coming back to MLS, particularly Chivas USA seemd like a perfect fit. He said he was very very happy in mexico and had no desire to return to MLS. things were very good at Nexaca and he was making good money didn;t think MLS would pay as well.

Clearly if Colorado get DH they will be a better team. Danny is fearless competitor who will take no crap from anyone and will protect his teammates. He is ahrdnosed players who can be a little rough at times, he does play on the edge. hes also a real nice guy will be an asset to your community. My opinion is a lil biased I have liked DH since day with the Galaxy

7. RevsGuy06

RevsGuy06 Member

Feb 5, 2001
    england 2.0
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Being a stubborn stickler for facts and history, FC cannot know Hernandez from either club. FC was the assitant coach with Metro in '99 while Hernandez split time between LA and Tampa, and he didnt come to the Revs until right after FC got the sack in '02.

I'm thinking Hernandez has re-considered an MLS return, and Colorado just happens to be interested, but it's not due to a connection with FC.

8. spot

spot Member+

Nov 29, 1999
    Centennial
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for all your replies.

9. fox point fury

May 19, 2001
    Providence
    I seem to remember comentators talking about his "ferocious" free kick just before he blasted it out of the stadium more often than not. Other than that I agree with the Doc.

10. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    One more, I would second most of all of what has been said. The one concern I had with DH was that, as good as he was, he seemed to think he was better. As a result, it seemed that there was an edge to his relationships with his teammates...not a head case and not a jerk, just not a buddy, either. Not sure if that was due to him feeling jerked around by the league or not, but it's something to consider. He had skills and he would be a plus for many, many teams. He brings a work ethic to the game that is very strong and he gives it his all on the field.

11. goussoccer

goussoccer Member+

May 23, 2001
    Avon, CT
    The interesting aspect of this is that the acquisition of Hernandez (Diego Serna and Brian Kamler) was announced the day after Clavijo was fired. That was a huge trade for us - we traded away, Ted Chronopoulos, Andy Williams and Mamadou Diallo. Interesting timing...

12. Soccer Doc

Soccer Doc Member+

Nov 30, 2001
    Keene, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the corrections. I was going from memory which at my advanced age is not always dependable :D

13. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    I think everyone knows where I stand on DH. Get him Colorado.