Question on coach and referee interaction

Discussion in 'Referee' started by pething101, Sep 20, 2003.

1. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am curious as to what the Laws of the Game say about coaches interacting with referees during the match. This is my second year assistant coaching high school soccer in NC, and on more than one occasion I have been nearly kicked out of matches for what I think is protecting my players. For example, I have been vocal when an opposing player makes a rash tackle on one of my kids and I feel it is ok to let the ref hear my opinion. Upon doing so, I generally get a warning that I am crossing some line and about to get tossed.

Now, I understand that you are not supposed to demean the referee and I do not use profainity since I am trying to be a good role model for my kids but where is the line to be drawn. Are coaches supposed to sit silently and not try to protect thier players?

Just curious even though I know this is a very general topic.

2. Statesman

Statesman New Member

Sep 16, 2001
    The name says it all
    Your only priviledge recognized by the Laws of the Game is to relay tactical information from within the confines of the technical area to your team, and behave in a responsible manner. Doing anything other than relaying tactical information to your players may be considered irresponsible behavior. In NFHS the referee has the authority to show a yellow card and caution the coach. In FIFA/USSF, the referee usually will give you a verbal warning that has no significance within the Laws -- it is just a warning. If the irresponsible behavior continues, you will be dismissed from the sideline. In NFHS the referee will show you the red card.

You are there for your players, and your players alone. You are not there to share your opinion with the referee, especially if expressed in a dissenting manner. Usually referees will give you the benefit of the doubt if the comments are brief, made simply out of frustration, and are not detrimental to the overall mood of the game. The biggest myth is that referees will not tolerate a disagreeing opinion or a passionate outburst. If the behavior continues, however, you will find yourself going home early.

Also note the word "Coach" does not appear in the Laws of the Game. Your position is not one recognized as having any authority on the field. NFHS does not follow the Laws of the Game -- they have their own rulebook. They do discuss the role of the coach, but only in the context of describing irresponsible behavior and its punishment. Either way, learn to bite your tongue.

3. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wow.

Thanks for the reply. I had no idea about that. You are correct, I will have to work on keeping my opinions to myself.

4. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    as a coach, i understand where you're coming from, especially if you really feel that one of your player's safety has been compromised. but, you have no right to shout for a call or to yell at the ref.

as a ref, i try to recognize the "heat of the moment" shout - right when something has happened, and generally give more leeway. if it persists, i'll usually end up giving a similar warning to the one you've apparently gotten. how quick of trigger each ref has will vary, so be careful. although i'm sure there are some coaches who will claim to have gotten better calls, it's not overly likely to assist your cause. hard as it sometimes is, my advice is to try to stay quiet.

(also, and perhaps this should be in the coaches forum, keep in mind that your players will be watching you, and may mimic you. as a coach, i always prefer that they leave the refs alone, but i think it's harder for them to do that when they see their coach (and/or their parents) always screaming about calls that didn't go their way).