Question for DC United supporters

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by FatAndUgly, Jun 28, 2005.

1. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Still waiting....

[crickets chirrping]

2. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    DC should have drafted you instead of Freddy :(

sigh :(

3. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<Heavens, why were you wasting your talents on this side of the pond?>>

I recognize the sarcasm, but still, good question! I graduated from William and Mary in 1989. Not a time when soccer players were making a lot of money over here, and there was no outdoor pro league. Several of my teammates had just started playing in the MISL (Scott Bell for the Dallas Sidekicks), Tim Larkin for some team in Indiana (can't remember their name), a few others were playing for the semi-pro Washington Stars (Ron Raab, for example), and one of our goaltenders (Ian Peter) was playing for some English league team and making bank. I had no job and didn't know what I wanted to do. The coach for the Baltimore Blast asked me to play for them (but I hated Baltimore with a passion - long story), and Scott Bell got me a a tryout for Dallas (which I declined), but at the time I only wanted to play for the best team, which at the time was the San Diego Sockers. I was a cocky kid, I admit it. I honestly thought I was the best player in the country. I contacted the Sockers coach (who required me to put together a soccer "resume", something I had never heard of at the time). I did that, and he brought me out from Virginia to California for an offseason tryout. My biggest accomplishment at the time was winning the MVP award for William and Mary's Big Ten Challenge Cup, which was an indoor event for the top 10-ranked college teams in the country. I actually passed my tryout, and was told that I had a spot in the following season's team. I had been playing soccer my whole life and I was kind of over the love of the game (just being honest), and I was looking to make some money. I think back then I probably would have made around $35,000 that season, pretty pathetic, I know, but it was $35,000 more than I was making at the time! Of course, the MISL was crap financially at the time, and the Blast folded before I ever got to play a game. There I was, in California without a car, knowing no one in the state, with no money in my pocket, and too stubborn to come back to Virginia with my tail between my legs! I loooked into playing in England, but I didn't know at the time that work permits were so friggin' hard to come by for Europe, and that if I really wanted to play in Europe, I'd have to basically become (more of) a bum, try out for the national team (which paid next to nothing at the time), and hope to be included in enough matches so that I could qualify for a work permit in Europe. Or I could get a job like normal people and get on with my life (and pay my growing student loan bills). I tried to stay in the "business" by getting a job as an Assistant Coach at UCLA, but they weren't hiring, so I used my degree and became an accountant. I played for some local teams out here, but many of the games erupted in violence (with guns!) so I decided against it. I had the size and weight to play with anyone (6'3", 220 lbs), plus I played ice hockey in college too so I was pretty tough on the pitch, but timing was not on my side, so I became a working stiff. I actually don't regret it, especially now that I make good money, but once in awhile I see someone like Didier Drogba pushing people around, and I know I could make him pay! To this day, I've never been beaten by anyone one-on-one, but I finally had to admit (sheepishly) that Thierry Henry could do it. And I hate him for it!

4. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<Still waiting....

[crickets chirrping]>>

I didn't forget you - I was posting my soccer life story. Yes, Hyypia grabs players. He's not anywhere close to one of the worst offenders in the EPL, but he does it. I can't remember who else you mentioned, but I'd be willing to concede that they do it too. For the record, it pisses me off when ANYONE (even on my favorite teams) cusses at or talks back to the ref. As a referee back in the day, I can tell you it sucks. I'm glad FIFA is moving toward finally doing something about it.

5. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Why do you people keep feeding the troll?

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    So then why single Jaime out?

7. DCWEASEL

DCWEASEL New Member

May 4, 2005
    Bawlmor Hon
    Dear Mr. God's Gift To Soccer,
    I have already phoned DC Uniteds front office to let them know that you are available. I have explained to them that you are the central defender we NEED to pull it all together. At first I was skeptical, but I will go out on a limb. This guy is the second coming of Ryan Nelson. :D
    Yours Truly
    The Baby Weasel

8. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<So then why single Jaime out?>>

I feel like I'm repeating myself, but...

a) Purely out of curiosity, I was only ASKING people who see him play game in and game out if this was normal for him

b) in my opinion, on that day, he was the worst offender (no point arguing it because it was my opinion for one game)

c) If Sami Hyypia was the worst offender for Liverpool in one game or over an entire season I'd most likely discuss it on the Liverpool board, not here

I think we can all agree that different leagues have different styles of play, so I didn't think it made much sense to bring up the EPL on the MLS board. I think it only came up in the first place because my profile lists EPL teams as faves, and I think people were just trying to take shots at me or something, when all I really wanted to do was get more info on Jaime Moreno. Thanks to all who helped. I learned more about him.

9. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<Dear Mr. God's Gift To Soccer,
    I have already phoned DC Uniteds front office to let them know that you are available. I have explained to them that you are the central defender we NEED to pull it all together. At first I was skeptical, but I will go out on a limb. This guy is the second coming of Ryan Nelson.
    Yours Truly
    The Baby Weasel>>

Finally, someone with a sense of humor! Thanks, Weasel for reminding everyone not to take things so seriously!

10. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    DO you know Thomas Flannigan by any chance?

11. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for stopping by and enduring the off-the-cuff remarks having nothing to do with your questions.

I didn't notice Jaime doing any of those things during that game, but I was standing behind the goal. I did watch it on TV about 16 times and still don't recall Jaime being like that, so I'll say either I'm used to it and it isn't bad enough to hurt his reputation, or it was a one-off.

I hope you will watch more DC United games and make the decision if it is typical or not by observing for yourself. Most of our past games are available on dcunited.com and mlsnet.com and clicking "sights and sounds", or "game videos" or something.

12. TOTC

TOTC Member

Feb 20, 2001
    Laurel, MD, USA
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pints again.

13. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<DO you know Thomas Flannigan by any chance?>>

No, sorry.

<<I didn't notice Jaime doing any of those things during that game, but I was standing behind the goal. I did watch it on TV about 16 times and still don't recall Jaime being like that, so I'll say either I'm used to it and it isn't bad enough to hurt his reputation, or it was a one-off.

I hope you will watch more DC United games and make the decision if it is typical or not by observing for yourself. Most of our past games are available on dcunited.com and mlsnet.com and clicking "sights and sounds", or "game videos" or something.>>

I will definitely watch more games, but only because I enjoy the team. The comments here about Moreno's on-field play are enough to convince me I saw an unusual performance. I have nothing else negative to say about him. Thanks for the post.

14. Bootsy Collins

Bootsy Collins Player of the Year

Oct 18, 2004
    Capitol Hill
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dangit, be careful. By quoting Pints, you've said Candyman twice.

15. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Pints again.>>

Mr. Flanigan sounds less welcome here than I am. :)

16. jackrock

jackrock Member

Aug 19, 2003
    Talcott. WV
    Club:
    DC United

some people dont like him because he's overweight, most don't like him because he is rather unattractive.

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    But most don't like him because he eats innocent children.

18. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<some people dont like him because he's overweight, most don't like him because he is rather unattractive>>

I always thought being bloated and hideous was rather endearing :)

That's another United supporter with a sense of humor - any others?

19. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Depends on your sence of humor?

Watch out for the TYRANT!!

;)

~worm~

20. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    One of your "regulars" (I think), Mike Lastort2, left me negative reps (I finally figured out what it meant), after calling me a troll. Thanks to those who kept an open mind! I never meant any offense to anyone here.

Ed

21. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    <<Watch out for the TYRANT!!>>

No kidding? George Bush posts here too?

(note to the overly serious: this is a joke)

22. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Note to you:

We Kinda keep polly-ticks out of here!

You may be right...or worng....but as a D.C. Fan...you are watered and givie'n all the love needed!

;)

~worm~

23. FatAndUgly

FatAndUgly New Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Huntington Beeyatch
    Thanks, Worm!