Question for anyone...

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by masterklh, Oct 30, 2003.

1. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    I can't seam to find information on player salaries. Does anyone have a link or know where to find that out?

2. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    MLS doesn't give out players salary, but MIN salary in MLS is 24K and MAX is approx 300K.
    Salary cap for each team is is approx 1.7million for 18 senior players., the rest 6 roster-protected players don't count against teams salary cap.

3. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Pretty much what I wanted to know. I havent payed attention to saleries since the Inagural season, wanted to see if anything changed since I hear so much about signing players etc..

Im curious though, is there some reason why they dont let the teams put there players on contract? There are some weathly owners out there.. even though Kraft cut his staff in half I know he could afford to dish out some cash if he wanted to get a big name. Now if he would do that? doubt it, but I know he would be able to...

Damn, that salary cap seams so low, its almost like they dont want the league to get good talent other than what they can make for themselves. I would think bringing in some real european talent into the league might make it a bit more popular?

4. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    You shouldnt have done that...

how about pay the AMERICANS in the league 5 times more than they make?

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado

You've got a league that averages around 15,000 paid per game and has negligable TV revenue. Just who do you think they could afford? Supposing they decided to roll the dice and raise the salary cap to $10 million. My guess is that the league would have to average around 40,000 to make that work. How likely do you think that is?

6. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Hay I wont disagree with paying anyone more money than 24k a year.. Hell, I work for uncle sam and make much more than that as just an Enlister person in the USN.

What were the crowds when Manchester U played those matches here? I know crowds go up for International Friendlies, compared to just a normal MLS match, so to bring in some.. (let me change my wording :p ) some established Euro vets, might bring a few more people out.. that is all I meant by it.

Dever, I do realize that the league average is low, but with a 1.5 mil salary cap, even if the owners wanted to, they could not get a big name to come here. Beckham just signed with Real Madrid for what was it, 17.5 eu, which is... 21.3 million US. That is more than all MLS teams combined 2 times over nearly.

What im getting at, is not paying Beckham that type of money to come to MLS, what im talking about is.. "IF" and of course that is a huge "IF" they wanted to, It would be absolutely impossible to pay any top 100 EU player half of what they make to come here...

You think Ronaldo, Van Nistleroy, Raul, Beckham, Rivaldo etc.. would not help put a few more people in the seats? Can tell you one thing, you wont get them here with 300k a year :)

Sorry, I do not want to watch a farm League, I want to watch a competitive league, that is respected around the world, and 24k / 300k is not going to do that.. Put the contracts in the hands of the Owners and let the owners of their teams, do there thing.

7. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I do not want to watch a farm League, I want to watch a competitive league, that is respected around the world, and 24k / 300k is not going to do that.. Put the contracts in the hands of the Owners and let the owners of their teams, do there thing.
    maybe if folks like you would come to games more often the owners would make more money and then the cap would increase....sound logical? As far as the oweners getting their own players,,well it will never happen unless there is 1 owner for each team. That may be a few years. Until then,,,,go on over to the Razor and watch the Revs and support your local team, they are a fun bunch to watch......enlisted USAF here

8. masterklh

masterklh New Member

Oct 21, 2003
    Massachusetts
    Trust me.. I would love to go watch my team, However I have not been stationed in the states since 1998(Hawaii / Guam) ... in 96/97 I went to about 12 games, including MLS Cup 1 (of which I still have the ticket stub :p) And yes.. I froze my ass off at that game and loved every minute of it :)

But.. Ill be out of the navy in 17 days, and the first thing I plan to do is Buy season tickets to the Rev for the 04 seasons, 445$ for season tickets to the Rev's.. but so be it, that equates to about 37$ a ticket, relatively cheap if you ask me.

EDIT: Just noticed Firstshirt, You live about 15 minutes away from where im going back to in Southwick.

9. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    masterklh, check your messages