Question about the FieldTurf at the Stadium...

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by stinky, Oct 13, 2003.

1. stinky

stinky Member

May 14, 2000
    Long Beach, NY
    don't know if anyone noticed, but nfl lines aside, it seems to me (we sit in the first row) that the turf was shaved shorter since it was installed.

when it was first put in, it looked like grass....and you could visibly see individual blades of turf....now it looks like carpet....

anyone have any info if it was actually cut shorter before football started???

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I think the NY football Giants requested the plastic grass be trimmed so that the Metrostars soccer balls would bounce more.....

3. cmonaco

cmonaco New Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Montreal/NYC
    Thought the same thing and tried to do some research to see if such a thing was done, but came up empty-handed. It's obvious the ball was rolling much faster and bouncing higher than usual. You could see some Metros leading teammates out with passes that went much further than they intended. And you'd think Metro would be 100% familiar with this turf by now.

Maybe the rubber bits settled and that's whats causing the faster field... you don't notice the same black rubber grains flying or clinging to players when they fall anymore. Regardless, the turf was much worse for soccer than it has been in almost every other game this year, for some reason.

4. MUNCUFAN

MUNCUFAN New Member

Apr 13, 2003
    Northern NJ

5. ibcnu424

ibcnu424 New Member

Sep 9, 2003
    I don't know if there is even such a way to cut the field turf, I wouldn't imagine they would just take a lawn mower to a million dollar field.

they do have a rake attached to a cart that will fluff the blades up and even out the rubber granules.

6. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

The Giants practice in the stadium now instead of the bubble so it could just be the effect of everyday use, probably not noticeable if you look at it daily but noticeable if you see it every couple of weeks.

There were also 10 Springsteen shows this summer.

It's held up better than the HDC field where, after the field was used for a concert, Victorine fractured his hip taking a bad step running foward.

7. red&black1

red&black1 New Member

Mar 8, 2003
    Kearny NJ
    Rubber bits!!! what a fcukin joke.... We need that harrison stadium now, or are they planning to use the same bs turf thier also?!?!