Question about the Eircom League

Discussion in 'Ireland' started by SPL, Oct 30, 2004.

1. SPL

SPL New Member

Apr 28, 2000
    Washington, D.C.
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Since I live in the states my knowledge of the Eircom League is limited to the Internet. But for those who follow Irish sports closely, what do you think the future holds for the league? I certainly get the impression that soccer has gained popularity in Ireland in the past couple of decades. Yet, it seems the domestic league continues to struggle in terms of attendance, fan interest and player talent. Obviously, the first division of the Eircom League never will match the level of the English Premiership. But does it have a chance at reaching the level of, say, the Scottish Premiership (minus Celtic and Rangers)?

Hail Hail Galway United!

2. Legion04

Legion04 Member

Nov 5, 2004
    Arlington, Virginia
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be wrong, I may get slammed for this.

I think that yes, the Eirecom League is in poor condition. The national team is very good, but inside the country, it's awful. Also, I could be mistaken, but I believe that the Eirecom League isn't officially recognized by FIFA. :confused:

Erin Go Braugh!!!

3. Samarkand

Samarkand Member+

May 28, 2001
    You are.

4. Kickeroo

Kickeroo New Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Richmond
    I've been to two games, and I must say, the attendence is on par with a USL-1 (A-league) game. About the same as my beloved Kickers, but not as packed as , say Portland.

5. Ash II

Ash II New Member

Jul 23, 2004
    In a madhouse
    Firstly it's a semi-professional league, on a par with say, the lower reaches of the second division (or League 1 or whatever they call it nowadays). Therefore, the standard is poor, but improving I think, borne out by Shelbourne's run in the CL this year. Won't ever be top-level stuff in a little country where hurling and gaelic football reign supreme in both participation and attendance levels.

6. malby

malby Member+

Liverpool FC
    Republic of Ireland
    May 11, 2004
    Rep of Ireland
    Club:
    Drogheda United
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    It's getting bigger each year. Next season the top 5/6 sizes will all be full time. It has a rosy future imo. It will not reach the level you state in my life time however!

Who let the Drogs out!!

7. Slash/ED

Slash/ED New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Dublin
    Some would argue that results in Europe and looking at the success of players who have played in both leagues that it is already at that level in terms of playing standard. Facilities wise, it's miles off though.

8. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Its already miles ahead of the Welsh league.

9. hoop

hoop New Member

Dec 14, 2004
    Dublin
    alot would argue that irish soccer is at a higher quality then the spl in both football and antendances with the exception of celtic and rangers of course also I think the best clubs in Irl. could survive in the premiership. they wouldn't win anything but they could survive.
    shels will never win 4 IN A ROW !