Question about the 1/2 seeds and WC Qualifying...

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by dawgtide, Jul 2, 2005.

1. dawgtide

dawgtide Member

Jun 5, 2005
    Atlanta, Ga.
    Did Fifa ever give a reason why the Oceania team does not play the Asia team and the Americas do not play each other? It makes more sense for several reasons, but mainly financially with less travel mileage. Also the players don't have to get as tired from major traveling. Anyone that travels as far as these teams will knows what jet lag that is. It cannot be good for the games either.

I am beginning to wonder if they just did not want both the North American and South American teams to win. I don't see any other reason for it and it appears to be an agenda. I am from the United States so this doesn't hurt me, but I am also for a "world cup" so I would rather have them just given Oceania a bid and took away the half points from two of three of the other confederations.

2. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The 4th place CONCACAF team is far from an easy home and home with Kuwait, Bahrain or Uzbekistan....it will royally test them.

as for the geography, they had Oceania vs S. America in 2002 and Europe vs Asia...i guess without europe in the 1/2 seed, they just plugged N. America in there...my only guess....

3. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    I was following the issue quite closely, and I believe no reason was given when the decision was finally made.

Remember that when the decision to give Oceania a full spot was made at the
    end of 2002 (which the South American nations and Confederation opposed and later got rescinded) the plan was for only a half-spot play-off between Asia 5th and Concacaf 4th. So, when the reversal was made on South America's behalf six months later in mid-2003 it was a question of saying now the status quo was maintained. They did say at the time that the decision would later be made as to the the exact format of the series (including who played who), but when it was made last winter, the status quo was again maintained (which was easier to justify, even if not expressly, and which would upset a lot less federations, there being fewer and less influential members in Oceania). Even Blatter kept unusually tight-lipped during the last announcement.

4. auf Amerika

auf Amerika Member

Jul 11, 2004
    Australia is now part of the AFC (Asia). Oceania doesn't deserve its own spot and is lucky it only has to play a home and away series to make it to the World Cup.

5. beachesl

beachesl Member

Oct 21, 2002
    Mendoza, Argentina
    announcement giving automatic spot in Dec 2002:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/2581449.stm

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/index/0,2527,48832,00.html?articleid=48832

announcement in June 2003 rescinding Oceania's autospot (remember South America's ridiculous proposal for 36 spots used to pressure FIFA):

http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,70479,00.html

decision on Dec 4, 2003 setting current format (remember that FIFA was considering Oceania's proposal for a 4 team round robin for all half-spots):

http://www.fifa.com/en/media/index/0,1369,73248,00.html

"The executive decided that, in addition to the play-off already fixed between CONCACAF and AFC, CONMEBOL’s representative should meet Oceania’s representative to settle the four half slots for the 2006 FIFA World Cup™. Decisions as to the exact match timings in November 2005 and which team should play the first leg at home will be passed by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup™ at a later date."

6. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

i doubt if you ask anyone who sides with an Oceanic nation, that they would say their qualifying route is lucky by any means. 2 Meaningful games is not easy they'd say....which is precisely why Australia left OFC

7. bigdelta

bigdelta New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Orlando
    1)an answer to the ques in the 1st post-to give the OFC an automatic bid would be to give Australia a free pass every 4 years and then they would not have moved to the AFC.
    2)"precisely" why Australia left is to qualify every time in the AFC in lieu of having to play that 2 match series against SA from now on.

8. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Australia would have moved regardless.

There are many reasons why Australia wishes to leave OFC. I will list some of the main ones for you below.

1. We are too good for OFC

This may sound a bit arrogant, but basically our football has progressed as far as it can in OFC. We dwarf our competition both economically and in terms of population with only New Zealand being able to offer any realistic long term opposition in the past. Unfortunatley New Zealand football has dropped to a point where they are not even making finals of OFC tournaments any more, and couldn't even be bothered to send an under 17 team to the last OFC Championships. Its a struggle getting a lot of others to compete, and the only time they ever have a confederation wide tournament is to provide a qualifier for a FIFA tournament. Most of the island nations are happy to play amongst themselves.

2. National team development

Our national team has many players who have played at the top level in club football in England, Spain, Italy and Germany, as well as a few other places. Several have played in the European Champions League with some success. Unfortunately as a part of OFC we get little to no opportunity to play competetive football. In Asia we will have qualification for Asian Championships (and hopefully the finals) as well as a number of World Cup qualifiers to help our team develop in a competetive environment. I firmly believe that with this competition it will allow us to fulfil our potential, and if we do happen to get to the World Cup the qualification system will ensure that we can compete. If we should happen to get a lucky win under the current system we would be hopelessly under prepared for any World Cup appearance.

3. Club Football

Currently Australia has no national league, although we will be launching a new league soon with only 8 teams. We have had no regular international competition at all, with the OFC only organising tournaments when they need a qualifier for World Club Championships. Having teams competing in Asia gives us a good marketing opportunity, and the ability to offer something more to our players. I can understand the better players wanting to play in the highest Leagues, but I hope for the day that it is more attractive for our lesser players to play for an Australian Club rather than in the English 2nd division or similar leagues.

4. Youth Football.

Currently our youth sides qualify easily for World Tournaments through OFC. In fact if we don't win a two leg plaoff by 10 goals we start to worry about the ability of the team. We have had some success in the past in youth tournaments, with semi final appearances in Olympics and under 20 tournaments, as well as a 2nd place (on penalties) in an under 17 tournament to our credit. Unfortunately the OFC system means that qualification is too easy, and the sides we put up of lesser ability don't compete well. Now that we need to go through Asia our youth teams will also have good tournament preparation. It means that we won't always qualify, but when we do our teams should be able to perform to potential.

9. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Politics is the main reason. Originally OFC was to have an outright spot, but FIFA took it from them to keep the South Americans happy. The Asians and North Americans wanted to keep their original playoff as neither wanted the risk of coming up against the South American side.

10. Jay510

Jay510 Member+

Apr 21, 2002
    Gadsden Purchase, AZ
    Club:
    Blackburn Rovers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Exactly what I said

11. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Climate may be another reason. Remember, when it is summer in the northern hemisphere, it is winter in the southern hemisphere. Oceania and CONMEBOL are in the Southern Hemisphere while CONCACAF and Asia are both in the Northern Hemisphere.

12. bigdelta

bigdelta New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Orlando
    Jay I agree.

13. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    Zeek, you seem to forget that AUS/NZ plays in the S/H summer or N/H winter (IIRC so do CONMEBOL competitions). Just another excuse for FIFA, if that at all. :(

14. Andy TAUS

Andy TAUS Member

Jan 31, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    And you're just as bloody wrong as bigdelta. Have a read of almango's post and be enlightened for a change.

15. bigdelta

bigdelta New Member

Feb 11, 2005
    Orlando
    God I hate being bloody.And I'm not wrong.Taus,why don't you quit your bitching and whining and be happy with your entry into AFC and your automatic qualification. It's getting a bit tiresome that you complain constantly about CONCACAF and their # of entries.You have your free pass from now on-it's just another 4 year wait to actually play instead of watch the WC.