Quavas Kirk??

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by bigtimebuck4, Apr 3, 2005.

1. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    sorry if this is posted before, i couldnt find it.

Whats the deal with him? he seems verry talented. but how much seasoning is he going to get ridding the pine in MLS?? couldnt he have stayed in Bradenton for another year?? What does the future hold for this guy??

2. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    He is at Bradenton. He will only be with the galaxy during school holidays. He will also be playing at the U-17 qualifiers and championships.

3. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    And after he graduates and plays in U-17 World Cup, he'll play reserve team matches and train with people like Landon Donovan everyday which will definitely help his development.

4. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    so much i didnt know! sounds like a good situation for him. hopefully he can progress well.

as far as the galaxy are concerned, how long do u guys think it will be until he is ready to contribute?? 2 year?

5. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    He might get some time towards the end of this season. His next real chance will come in the 2006 season, when he will have a chance to go through preseason with the team. From what I've seen of the Galaxy attack, I think Quavas's chance will come sooner rather than later.

6. IMOX77

IMOX77 New Member

Jun 15, 2003
    Long Island, NY
    In one of the Salt Lake newspapers last week they said Besagno will join RSL in May after he graduates in April. So I would assume Kirk will graduate at the same time since he has been at Bradenton longer than Besagno and join up with LA until the u17's come back from summer break and prepare for the u17 world chaqmpionship (If they qualify).

7. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    2006 Season is season he'll most likely get some time.

8. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    Then one of the Salt Lake newspapers is wrong. Hackworth wants the U17 players to train and play matches as a group over the summer (including a break, very important). Ellinger is very much supporting this as he's seen it from both sides.

Quavas and Nik could join the MLS teams after the Worlds in September, but I believe they will not graduate high school until December (that is true for most of the 87s in Residency), so they most they would see in that event is some weekend duty, and probably not much. 2006 will be their rookie seasons for all intents and purposes.

By the way, to answer the originial questions, Quavas is really becoming a complete soccer player to go along with his well-document athletic capabilities. He has a great temperment and work rate and really has a chance to go FAR.

9. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Once again, the man with the info.

I agree its a good idea to stay together over the summer, get the spirit in the side going.

10. bigtimebuck4

bigtimebuck4 Member

Oct 10, 2004
    thanx for all the responses guys. good to know.

11. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino

Wouldn't he have been better off playing college ball for a year or two and getting in some matches?

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Reserve Team Matches!

Although a year or 2 would not have hurt him.

13. K.P.

K.P. Member

Mar 18, 2001
    Philly
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His MLS bio says that he started 31 of 34 games last year, 15 of which were international matches. I'm not familiar with the NCAA limits, but I don't think he's any worse off right now, and between the youth national team and the Galaxy, he may very well be in better shape than if he'd gone to college.

http://www.mlsnet.com/MLS/players/bio.jsp?team=lag&player=kirk_q&playerId=kir349214

14. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    AND Reserve Team Matches!!!

15. JohnJohn

JohnJohn New Member

Dec 11, 2003
    Chino

With the PDL league now in play college players have a good level of play in the off season. I understand PDL starts May 1. I wonder if the reserve teams will be playing PDL?

16. Shibb

Shibb Member

Feb 22, 2005
    Tampa
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about his scholastic ability, but not everyone is cut out for college. I think each player has to decide what's best for himself. In case of the best it's possible they think they'll get loaned out/transferred to Europe at a young age, whether this is realistic or not, and may see college as diminishing those chances. Or they might see the developmental track as a quicker route to starting in MLS. As long as those who evaluate talent, both in MLS and Collegiate, are straightforward with them, then it's great that they have this option.

17. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    I hear that the school at Residency in Bradenton is "the easiest school in America" and that some of the kids arent the brightest.

18. dheck

dheck Member

Sep 20, 1999
    Chapel Hill, NC, USA
    I heard from one recent grad (who is very bright) that the school in Bradenton is a joke.

19. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Let's face it, nobody is going there for the academics. Plus, c'mon, a 3 year graduation schedule? The future Stanford & Harvard students take a 4 full years to satisfy the requirements at my local high school, thank you very much, and some of those kids have 50 IQ points on the typical Bradenton attendee. They're not practicing sports 2 hours daily, either. They're doing homework instead.

All that said, my local high school is a damn good one and schools do vary widely. I'm willing to bet that Bradenton is an academic step forward for the kids who would otherwise be stuck with bottom-quartile public schools.

20. 2leftshoes

2leftshoes New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    bay area
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Going to residency does not immediately imply these kids are all morons. they got there because they can play soccer. It also does not imply that they all came from disadvantaged backgrounds and poor schools. Whether the school is a joke or not, those kids who go to college after Bradenton have to make it in the colleges they are accepted in do they not? I wonder what the college drop out rate is for them.

Anyway on a serious note, Quavas was injured in the game against Haiti.

21. robert scheem

robert scheem New Member

Oct 8, 2004
    all these comments about the school being easy, and the kid's academic abilities, I am just curious, how many of you posters attended this school, or were involved in this accelerated program? I would think you would have to, to make such statements.

22. bigdush

bigdush New Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Parker, CO
    Any standard high school can be made easy in order to just get a diploma.

Heck, my high school valedictorian had perfect grades, but they were perfect grades in classes that she could sleep in as well.

23. denver_mugwamp

denver_mugwamp New Member

Feb 9, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    In answer to your question, most of the information that I have seen about the reserve teams says that they will be playing as many games and as many teams as they can. I would guess that this would include PDL teams. They won't be official games but it doesn't really matter.

24. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    But if we've heard it from kids who HAVE gone there?

25. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    I've heard this from several different, and reliable and in positiion to know, people.

One of the reasons kids started finishing HS in Bradenton even after the U17 WC was because a lot of the schools the kids attended before going to Bradenton wouldn't accept the Bradenton credits after they tried to transfer back.

Now, it's not so bad that top colleges don't accept these kids, so we shouldn't bag on it too much. But a top prep school, it ain't.