Quarterly Quarrel - The Financial Discussion Part 5

Discussion in 'Manchester United' started by Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10, Mar 11, 2014.

1. CybrSlydr

CybrSlydr Member+

Columbus Crew
    United States
    Jun 30, 2013
    Casper, WY
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sports teams are never a good investment anyway. They're a vanity project. You buy them and run them because you either love the team or you value the attention or status it gives you.

jnielsen repped this.
  2. Chaz Striker

Chaz Striker Member+

Jul 26, 2005
    Denver
    This is just not true.

majspike repped this.
  3. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
  4. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Fergie papered over the cracks. He left at the right time where one could say this. But it started even when he was in charge.

“There’s no value in the market.”

SF19 and CybrSlydr repped this.
  5. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nothing we didn’t already know here, but all the detail.

6. Sofabloke

Sofabloke Member+

Dec 24, 2003
    Mu
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Bants United

SF19 repped this.
  7. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can anyone explain this like they're talking to a five year old?

CybrSlydr repped this.
  8. Holy__Joe

Holy__Joe Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 31, 2007
    Manchester
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

Options (In this case I'm assuming they're meaning "Calls") are like paying someone who owns shares a fee to say "I have the right to buy 100 shares (per options contract) from you at an agreed price ($X) anytime up to Y Date"

The agreed price will be higher than the current price, so you're betting on the price going above the amount you've agreed as $X Price before your options contract expires (Y date), so you can either execute the contract and purchase the shares for under market value and receive the shares (that are instantly worth more than they paid), or effectively take the difference in value between the current price and $X price.

Example - You think there's going to be an orange shortage due to Florida sinking in September. You pay someone a premium to agree a contract "I can buy oranges from you for 10c each as long as I buy them from you before October 1st", oranges only cost 5c at the moment.

If Florida floods oranges shoot up to $1 each, you're now able to buy a set amount of oranges for under market value and either instantly flip them for a 90c profit per orange, or now just have a nice supply of oranges.

If Florida doesn't flood and oranges just stay at 5c, well then you just lost whatever the premium you paid

Stud83, United 16, jnielsen and 3 others repped this.
  9. Bluto11

Bluto11 The sky is falling!

May 16, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Rep for using oranges

upload_2022-8-17_7-14-27.gif

Holy__Joe repped this.
  10. United 16

United 16 Member+

Manchester United
    Mar 25, 2016
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    How credible is this source?

11. Ruud v.Nistelrooy 10

Staff Member

Jamaica
    Jun 4, 2006
    Antilla
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Jamaica
  12. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    Do you like pina coladas and getting caught in the rain
    if you're not into yoga and have half a brain

Sadly, i'm not fond of pina coladas, I don't like getting caught in the rain, and I'm sort of into yoga. Thus I have no brain, but that could be owing to my copious amounts of alcohol consumption, but even I know this sale might just happen, no muppeting about.

13. Anonymous_United

Manchester United
    Brazil
    Jul 13, 2018
    We need massive protests, stop buying merchandise subscriptions etc and empty OT.

Father Ted repped this.
  14. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago

shit just got real

15. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Ratcliffe is the only real chance we have right now to getting the Glazers out. The consortiums are all bullshit. There would be a ton of owners if Glazers publicly put club for sale but they wont do that.

If this Ratcliffe news proves to be true, MUST and all the supporters groups need to protest the Glazers like ********ing crazy in the next few weeks. Give the Glazers more motivation to cut ties and get out. If theres a glimmer of hope, they need to push hard.

16. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I heard an American consortium is buying that minority stake, but Ratcliffe would like to buy the club if it's for sale.

Gotta say, Knighton is doing a good thing:

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/s5TtxL1XixU

17. JC7rox

JC7rox Member+

Manchester United FC, LAFC
    Jun 11, 2004
    West Coast, Cali!
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    I wish these guys had been so aggressive and eager in 2005. The writing was on the wall with these guys from the jump. How they were allowed to buy the club I never understood.

18. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Knighton is a clown. He just wants some attention.

topnoevili repped this.
  19. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    ^ Attention for what? To encourage the sale of Man U? What's clownish about that?

20. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Do some research on Knighton, his history with United, and his history running football clubs and get back with me.

21. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013
    I think you misunderstand. It's not his intention to buy the club. He simply wants to get the ball rolling and encourage a group of billionaires to make a hostile bid. He's even said he would be happy to see Ratcliffe buy the club without any involvement from him. He's just a fan who wants the best for his club.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/michael-knighton-wiki-manutd-takeover-27703242

I don't think any of us can disagree with that. And frankly, no one else is really trying as he hard as he is to make it happen.

CybrSlydr repped this.
  22. SF19

SF19 Member+

Jun 8, 2013

Says Sir Jim won't join a hostile bid, but has been talking to the Glazers. It's possible Sir Jim might take a minority stake, but Knighton thinks he would only agree to a deal if there's a timeframe that allows Sir Jim to take full ownership eventually.

23. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Knighton is a liar. He was lying back in the 80s when he said he had enough money to buy United and he’s lying now when he says his consortium has enough (which he’s just admitted). His constant call outs to Ratcliffe were because he knows he needs him to have enough cash. The only reason he’s pivoting now and backing Ratcliffe solo (and not as a member of his consortium) is because he knows Ratcliffe has no interest in joining and because the public backlash has been high.

Again, if you don’t know about Knighton do some googling on his failed United takeover in the 80s and his time as owner of Carlisle. Hes just not someone that should be taken seriously, which is why I say he’s just doing this to get attention.

24. Red Jeph

Red Jeph Member+

Aug 26, 2006
    Chicago
    Knighton’s talk of a hostile bid is nonsense. You can’t have a real hostile bid/takeover when all the voting power is with the Glazers.

jnielsen repped this.
  25. MizzouMUFC

MizzouMUFC Member+

Apr 10, 2010
    Places
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Exactly. Hostile bid is when someone attempts to buy majority shares to take over ownership of a company. The public shares are all Class A, whereas the Class B shares (majority owned by Glazers) aren’t public and can’t be bought against the Glazers will. And at United, B shares hold all the voting power.