Quarterfinals matches

Discussion in 'World Cup 2014: General' started by Christina99, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Christina99

Christina99 Member+

Argentina
    Sep 22, 2013
    Buenos Aires
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Is there a thread for this?

So far the R16 matches are:

Brazil-Chile

Colombia-Uruguay

Netherlands-Mexico

Costa Rica-Greece (!)

Argentina-Switzerland

Nigeria-France

Am i missing something? how do u guys think this matches are gonna go? Some very entertaining ones at first glance, like Colombia-Uruguay, Brazil-Chile or Netherlands-Mexico.

lol: i meant ROUND OF 16 matches

I guess the WISH was stronger and i posted "quarterfinals" instead :p

2. canis

canis Member

Jun 10, 2014
    La reina del Plata
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Brazil (Chile has a good shot though)
    Colombia (Even though I still believe Suarez will be allowed to play)
    Netherlands (Should be easy enough if they keep playing as they did so far, and RVP will be back)
    Costa Rica (but Greece´s confidence boost could be worth something)
    Argentina (unless Fernandez or Zabaleta decide otherwise)
    Nigeria (this is the one surprise imo)

3. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    If I was to pick the top 6 out of these, 4 would come from the first two games - plus Colombia and France. (I am impressed by Costa Rica but would have them 7th out of these teams)

Brazil - Chile
    Chile have been the better team (by quite a way) by will be battling history, home crowd and FIFA so you'd have to pick Brazil.
    Netherlands - Mexico
    I have been impressed by Mexico, but by Netherlands even more.
    Colombia - Uruguay
    Colombia should win this easily, a cakewalk if Suarez is banned (as he should be)
    Costa Rica - Greece
    Costa Rica should win this. Greece is worst team in R16
    Argentina - Switzerland
    Messi to win
    France - Nigeria
    Agree with above that Nigeria could cause an upset, but still think France will make it through.

4. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brazil-Chile
    I think it's impossible that the refs let Brazil lose this early
    2-0 Brazil

Columbia-Uruguay
    Without Luis Uruguay wouldn't have even made it out of their group might have even been bottom. Columbia has been playing very well and they look to have things in order so Columbia
    2-1 Columbia

France-Nigeria
    You need an upset somewhere and this is mine. I think that Nigeria can put it all together and take out France and shock the world in the round of 16
    3-2 Nigeria in extra time

Argentina-Switzerland
    I pick Argentina I think Messi is enough in this game to get them the win.
    1-0 Argentina

Netherland-Mexico
    I will be rooting hard for Mexico even though I am 100% USA but I just think they got a crap deal playing this team. They are just doing really good and after beating both Chile and Spain who they just crushed I think they are prime for a deep run
    2-1 Netherland

Germany-Algeria
    This might be the most loop sided match of the round of 16 but it has been a crazy world cup so anything can happen. That being said I still think Germany will stomp them pretty hard
    4-1 Germany

Costa Rica-Greece
    Two shocks in the round of 16. No one picked these two but here they are. Costa Rica has been playing so great and I look for them to keep it going and represent Concacaf great and get to the top 8. It is no less then they deserve with the way they have shocked everyone in this tournament
    2-0 Costa Rica

Belgium-USA
    Yes the big match and Yes I think the USA will win this match because I havn't seen much from Belgium in this tournament that makes me believe they are way better then the guys we have played in group G. I believe the USA will have its best performance of the tournament and win a good game vs Belgium and show everyone they can put on a show.
    2-1 USA

00Kevin repped this.
  5. DZfennec

DZfennec Member

Jun 5, 2014
    Haha. I'm obviously biased (so are you, as we all are) but for me Belgium USA is more loop sided than Germany Algeria. What have the USA shown apart from very good organisation? Respect for getting out of a tough group but there's a severe lack of quality in the attacking areas. USA will make it tough for Belgium, but Belgium will have too much in the end. I expect another poor performance from Belgium but yet another win. We won't see the best from Belgium until they come up against teams who attack them, and that won't be USA (barring an early Belgium goal which will force USA out, and if that's the case it won't be pretty. Belgium are the best counter attacking team in this tournament in my opinion, they just haven't been given the chance to show it).

As for Algeria, you guys can call us out of our depth as much as you want. We put in a great attacking display against South Korea. In players like Feghouli and Brahimi we have technical ability and flair that the USA squad don't get close to. We showed heart and character in the Russia game. Do I think we'll beat Germany? I'm not deluded, the Germans are arguably the strongest team in the World Cup. If you're an underdog, like the USA or Algeria, the last team you want to face is Germany, not because the Germans have more quality than some of the other teams, but mainly because they are less susceptible to mental capitulations. They know how to grind out results, even when not playing well.

But look, there's history there. We beat them in 82 and then got knocked out due to that disgraceful game in Gijon between them and the Austrians. We'll be looking to set the record straight, and with a potential tie against France in the last 8, trust me, we'll be motivated like no other team going into this match.

6. waitforit

waitforit Member+

Dec 3, 2010
    Valcea
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Romania
    1 . Brazil/Chile - Colombia/Uruguay
    2. France/Nigeria - Germany/Algeria
    3. Netherlands/Mexico - Costa Rica/Greece
    4. Argentina/Switzerland - Belgium/USA

If the red teams go through we could have one QF per confederation.

7. Outburstz

Outburstz Member

Jun 22, 2014
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that Belgium are the favorites and if this was the same Belgium team that smashed us in a friendly and looked mega scary during qualifying then I would agree it would be more wishful thinking of me to think that we could win then a real chance. Problem is I haven't seen that Belgium at all in any of their wins. (which was kind of disappointing since I wanted to see more from them very entertaining) Add to that the USA hasn't played up to their potential in this tournament and still almost got 2 wins vs tough opponents it could very well be a perfect storm for us to get a win. (If we can just get one good game from Bradley ugh)

Now you could very well say the for Belgium in that they will find their stride in the KO stage which is justified but I just see a team that is playing to the level of their opponent which gives the USA I huge shot to make them pay for it

8. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Now we have all of our qualifiers, I think all home teams (group winners) are favourites but some more so than others.

Most certain.

Colombia - Uruguay
    Argentina - Switzerland
    Germany - Algeria
    Holland - Mexico
    Costa Rica - Greece
    Brazil - Chile (home ground and FIFA adv., otherwise I'd pick chile to win)
    Belgium - USA
    France - Nigeria (I know the French have been impressive but they haven't played a team like Nigeria yet)

Least certain

9. Megabeast

Megabeast Member

Jun 6, 2014
    Club:
    Blackpool FC
    As a neutral, and in my opinion, we have seen USA play way above their level, but we have seen Belgium below their level.

USA have been lethal on the counter attack, but they throw so much forward that they become vulnerable to it themselves.

Belgium are far superior technically and USA will be playing a team that is better than Ghana and 1-man-band Portugal.

3-1 Belgium, but I've been very wrong multiple times in this tournament.

Albirrojo repped this.
  10. Albirrojo

Albirrojo Member

Aug 27, 2004
    I've entered a few contests, I've got a few individual games on the mark but overall, have done poorly.

So my picks? I'll just say unfortunately, the Favorites have panned out for the most part. Spain doing bad, an exception. Costa Rica doing so very good, another exception.

In the next contests, I will largely pick the favorites, seems to work out better logically.