Quarterfinal game on Wed in Philly 9 PM

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by Heist, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I *think* I'm correct that an El Salvador win, draw, loss by 1, or loss 4-2 or greater scoreline with a 2 GD all make them our next opponent and mean Martinique is out and the winner of Group C would get Honduras.
    A 3-1 loss by El Salvador to Jamaica would mean drawing of lots to see if El Salvador or Martinique makes the next round. An El Salvador loss by more than 2 would put them out as would a 2-0 loss.
    Personally, I'd rather play El Salvador than Honduras even though Honduras has looked pretty poor and didn't bring their full team clearly. Both should be teams that we are quite favored against at home even though we're missing many of our top players and not playing particularly well.

2. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Wouldn't we play Jamaica if El Salvador beat them?

3. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Yes, although if Curacao also were to win I think there are scenarios where we get Mexico.

4. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    It would be so funny if Mexico lost to them that I would take that scenario.

Heist repped this.
  5. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    Just the reactions of the stadium operators in Glendale and Pasadena would be worth it.

6. Ironbound

Ironbound Member+

Jul 1, 2009
    El Salvador it will apparently be. They have been kicking the ball backward and sideways for 10 minutes now content to draw.

7. Heist

Heist Member+

Jun 15, 2001
    Virginia
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, you were correct. But now unless Mexico gets routed by Curacao we play El Salvador.

8. wrench

wrench Member+

May 12, 2007
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Cheese steak n pbr fr all!