Quarterfinal 4: Brazil - USA | 10.07.11 [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by Lusankya, Jul 6, 2011.

1. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    2011 Women's World Cup
    Match 28
    10-July-2011 17:30
    Dresden
    Rudolf-Harbig-Stadion

Brazil vs. USA

[​IMG][​IMG]

History:
    2 Brazilian wins
    2 Draws
    23 American wins
    15:61 goals

Most recent form:

Brazil: WWWWD
    USA: LWWWW

2. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Quarterfinal 4: Winners Group D - Runners-up Group C | 10.07.11 [R]

Good game.

3. SloanDarwin

SloanDarwin Member

Oct 26, 2009

Off topic: FIFA should really forbid Brazil to show off the 5 stars of the men's team. It's ridiculous.

4. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Do the USA men's team wear the 3 stars from the women's team?

I think they belong to the federation, so men's and women's get added together.

1 person likes this.
  5. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's two stars and no. (Not sure what the three stars on the US Soccer shield signify, if anything.)

6. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member+

Nov 30, 2005
    Novo Hamburgo
    Club:
    Gremio Porto Alegre
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Brazil is the only team that didnt suffer any goal in the first phase. Lets see how the Brazil- USa game will turn out.

Defense had always been our problem.

7. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

USA wins this game...comfortably.

8. Roland25

Roland25 Member

Sep 27, 2007
    Germany / Aachen

One of the two bigs will be out in Q-Final. Imaging either the great US , the no. #1 ranking. or Brazil with the great Marta should go home in few days.

9. newsouth

newsouth Member

Nov 20, 2010
    Club:
    Santos FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

well, i'm hoping for 2 birds with one stone. brasil wins and advances, usa loses and i get magicjack back.

10. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I am pretty sure these 5 stars belong to their emblem and are not the official "Winner's Stars"

Here are the equipment rules.

16.1 Those Member Associations that have won one or more of the previous editions of the FIFA World Cup™ or the FIFA Women’s World Cup™ may display on the Playing Equipment used by their first men’s or women’s representative teams a five-pointed star, or other symbol as instructed by FIFA, per edition of the FIFA World Cup™ (men’s shirt) or FIFA Women’s World Cup™ (women’s shirt) won by the Member Association.

16.2 The five-pointed star(s) shall be positioned as follows:
    a) on the front of the shirt at chest level, immediately adjacent to the
    Official Member Association Emblem;
    b) on the front of the shorts immediately adjacent to the Official Member
    Association Emblem; and/or
    c) on the socks.

But this rule is probably not the oldest one, so many associations just integrated a star per win into their official emblem.

E.g. Brazil and Italy have the stars integrated into their emblem, because otherwise their respective women's teams weren't allowed to wear them.

E.g. Germany and England added these stars according to the rules. Evidence are the women's jerseys which have less or no stars adjacent to the emblem.

France's star looks like it is integrated into the emblem, but their women still have an emblem without stars. So maybe two different official emblems?

The three stars in the US emblem are not the winner's stars, the USWNT wears two stars above the emblem and the men's team don't have additional stars.

11. SloanDarwin

SloanDarwin Member

Oct 26, 2009

Maybe that's what they claim, but it's certainly nonsense, in 2002 they only had 4 stars (see here).

12. elessar78

elessar78 Moderator
    Staff Member

May 12, 2010
    Club:
    Arsenal FC

You think Brazil's men's team will wear six stars if the women win this tourney?

13. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

They were'nt likely to put a 5th star on BEFORE they won their 5th world cup in 2002.....

14. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I think so, or they would create a separate emblem for the women's team.

I did go to the US federation website, and Lusankya is correct, they have the men's emblem and then two stars on top of the other 3 mystery stars (I guess stars to represent the flag, not sure why 3).

15. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

Yes, they just updated their emblem.
    The 5 stars are indeed for their 5 world cups, but when they say, that they belong to the official emblem, then the women can use them as well.

I doubt it. But then maybe they would create a new emblem for the women.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Not sure why 3 was picked but the stars in the USSF badge is to represent the whole "Stars and Stripes" of the USA flag.

The train wreck that is the USWNT 2011 WWC has been predictable for at least a year and a half. Well, the problems that led to the train wreck have been utterly predictable.

I do not see the USA winning. The strength of the 2008 Oly final win was competent and speedy team defending.

It would be something if this is the year Brazil finally broke through and won the whole d@mn thing. But they need to be careful not to celebrate a quarterfinal win like it was a semi-final or final win.

17. JanBalk

JanBalk Member+

Jun 9, 2004

Could be, their main problem for Brazil so far is that then never could do two great game in a row. So after knocking out USA (or Germany) in the semi they where spent in the final and get beaten by the other. Now if they get trough USA, they can beat England/France without playing at their absoult top and be rested enough to be competitive against Germany.

18. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

Just like when US National teams celebrate against minnows(ie. Men vs. Panama in Gold Cup, chicks vs. Colombia) only to be brought down to earth by real competition. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

You're aiming in the wrong direction. I'm with you. I wasn't celebrating those wins for being anything other than what was needed to advance out of the group.

I do think that in 2007, Brazil celebrated beating the USA (beating in comprehensive fashion) in a way that kept them from looking on the job at hand w/ laser sharp focus. Others may not believe that but that's my opinion. Yes, they should have celebrated the win but once they left the field, their focus needed to be on the final. Celebrating on the field and for each goal is one thing. Keeping that celebration up once you get back to the hotel and/or in practice the next day is different.

20. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

No my issue with US fans and their allies in the media always telling other teams how to or not to celebrate. I remember JP Dellecamera making that same statement in 2007 and I just wanted to throw a shoe at the TV. Of course, that tool didn't criticize the USMNT a couple of weeks ago celebrated against Panama or even after the victory against Spain in the Confederations' Cup. Oh but y'all had something to say when Brasil won the Confederations' Cup and goofed around by wearing their shirts inside out. (It's scary how I remember sh*t). In the end, who are you to tell someone how to celebrate? This isn't about encouraging a team to keep focus, it's about American fans not getting their feelings hurt when they lose.

We'll just have to disagree on this one.

21. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

So, you're painting me specifically with the same wide brush as people (announcers/former players) that have said/done things to annoy you despite what I actually wrote? (you know, the "all on-field celebration is aok" part). Good to know.

For the record, I had (and continue to have) no problem w/ the 1995 centipede. Nor w/ the little group dance the Swedes did yesterday (which was the same one they did after their 2nd win of this WWC). I get how a player who just got their @ss beat might not appreciate it but I'm not them.

22. Romario'sgurl

Romario'sgurl Member+

Wakanda FC
    Aug 26, 2000
    Wakanda
    Club:
    FC Ingolstadt 04
    Nat'l Team:
    Ghana

You don't have problem with the Swedes or Norwegians, only the Brasilians? Gotcha.

23. nightofrefs

nightofrefs Member

Jun 1, 2010

... is the dumbest thing in the soccer world at the minute. I like Sweden as a team, but their "dance" looks like a bunch of psychotic pensioners imitating Barney. SUPER-DEE-DUPER... NOT.

Most of the "dancing" by the teams is embarrassingly dorky. Everytime Brazil 'dances,' I fantasize about making it all stop with a painless, invisible tranquilizer dart. I just hope Germany and or the US do the job for me.

ps - why is this tread under the cloaked title of " Quarterfinal 4: Winners Group D - Runners-up Group C"? Doesn't everyone know the score yet?

24. Lusankya

Lusankya Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 14, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany

I don't know, but some people like to watch matches a little bit later and complained they were spoiled by thread titles.

I will change the thread title this night or tomorrow morning (CEST).

25. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I completely expect Brazil to win this quarterfinal and to have little trouble with whichever team wins the Eng/France match. Will the Brazilian Federation give the women's team the financial support they deserve if they win this WWC and dethrone Germany?

Yeah. That's totally what I said :rolleyes:

I wasn't mentioning a particular celebration (the centipede) that gets brought up w/ a degree of frequency (and bitterness) by certain announcers to show another place where I specifically differed from them or anything. But since you keep painting me with the same wide brush despite my stated differences, go w/ whatever you want. We Americans are all the same...

The point for me about 2007 was the well after the game celebrations -- eg the meeting the USA team as they (USA) returned to the hotel w/ instruments and dancing/celebrations -- was (imo) not keeping their eyes on the real prize, as it were. If that's how the Brazilian players want to roll, then of course they're free to samba all the way back to the hotel and to the next game. This is a message board, posting our analysis is the whole point.

I didn't mention any of this trying to save hurt American feelings or whatever crap you think I was saying. Actually addressing what I write in a post and not whatever secret motives you've assigned to me based on tv announcers' drunken ramblings that p!ssed you off would be nice.

I'm moving on. I've got to stockpile my liquor cabinet to get me through the beat down that's coming on Sunday. Will I die of alcohol poisoning if I drink every time Lloyd turns the ball over and cracks pointless shots from 35 yrds out? Or will I only die from alcohol poisoning if I include a drink for every shanked ARod shot and confused run?