Quaranta Added to US Gold Cup Team

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Friendly Fire Fan, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Friendly Fire Fan

Friendly Fire Fan New Member

Mar 31, 2005
    While it is only Rolfe's first MLS season, it is interesting to note that the oft-injured Quaranta was selected to replace Eddie Johnson. This season's statistics paint an interesting comparison between the two:

Quaranta: 10 games played out of 13 while starting in 6 for 584 minutes of playing time. 2 goals and 2 assists, 17 shots, and 10 SOG.

Rolfe: 14 games played out of 15 while starting in 9 for 872 minutes. 4 goals and 2 assists with 34 shots and 14 SOG.

The only significant difference is that Quaranta has played in the MLS for four years, still is not a regular, and he was on the U-17 national team. While it certainly will make our life easier against DC tomorrow night, it is questionable whether Quaranta is a more capable selection than Rolfe.

Discuss.

2. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    What's the over under for the first to mention Arena's obvious DC bias?

3. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Fire need him more than the Gold Cup squad does.

4. lemons

lemons Member

United States
    Nov 20, 2004
    Club:
    Atlanta United FC
    You hit the nail on the head, sir.

5. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    While I like the way Chris Rolfe goes about his business on the field, let's not forget that he's not the first rookie to come firing out of the gate only to peter out..

Chris Carrieri
    Mike Magee
    Santino Quaranta

Yes, Rolfe is impressive so far, but let's see where he is two years from now.

6. geordienation

geordienation Moderator

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Club:
    Newcastle United FC

The only thing Carrieri ever fired was blanks.

7. UDPride

UDPride Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Is the game on the MLS web site tomorrow. Thats how Ive been getting most games.

8. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    AC Milan, if they can afford him.

9. bing1985

bing1985 Member

Jun 14, 2004
    Near West ChiSuburbs
    Plus BA allways brings youngsters into camp once or twice and then sends them home without a cap. Der Bruce is also famous for "rewarding" loyalty of players with invitations to camp. Santino had more than 30 apps with the u-17s and then blew an MCL in service to the U-20's. This is a classic BA move.

But Segroves has it right => Let it go...

10. dlm_Fire

dlm_Fire Member

Aug 16, 2002
    Chicago
    Didn't he score like a hat trick on us?

11. Stogey23

Stogey23 Member+

Dec 12, 1998
    San Diego, CA
    That was the eternally awful Chris Brown.

12. Greddy

Greddy Member

Jun 24, 2003
    Chicago
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is the Gold cup taking place two years from now, or is it coming up soon? He would be better for the team NOW than Quaranta would be. RIght now, he better. Anyway, I'm glad he's not going. It would suck to lose Rolfe for any amount of time.

13. xkimo_fire

xkimo_fire New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Iowa
    I hope there is some way we can get a trade done to get these two guys.
    --- Could really help build our midfield

14. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    eck!

15. theburden

theburden Member

Jul 11, 2002
    MDSC head brewer
    What exactly is wrong with our midfield that these two would improve at this point?

16. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    are you high on sugar, little boy?

17. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't speak on Carrieri, as i didn't follow his career path, but Santino petered out because of injuries, and not because he was only a flash in the pan. As for Magee, well .......... he was just a garbage man. He was adept at being in the right place at the right time around the box. Rolfe has shown more skill in the few games he's had than Magee has shown in the totality of his career.

18. O' Razov my Razov

Jun 22, 2005
    Albany
    What do you expect form a jackass who had an assitant coach as retarded as Dave Sarachan.

19. fatboy15

fatboy15 New Member

Mar 31, 2000
    LaPorte, IN, USA
    well, i think carrieri actually got one against us, too. possibly even as a sub. i can't really remember.

and hey, somebody said something hinting that Rolfe may not be the greatest forward to ever put on a pair of cleats like 15 posts ago. where's that guy from dayton to swoop in and tell us how he's the saviour of our club and is going to win us 6 back-to-back championships? shouldn't he've said something by now? i'm sure he's got an article he's written to clear it all up

(just messing with you, guy from dayton)

20. CUS

CUS New Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Killjoy.

Besides a disasterous conspiracy is always more funner than reality.

21. UDPride

UDPride Member

Jun 13, 2005

i dont think any single player is gonna be a savior, Rolfe included. Theres still 11 players on the field and only one ball. You can have all the dynamos you want on the field but all it takes it a couple guys not pulling their weight to throw a wrench into things. The key is putting the right group of players out there who play well together, and forming a style of play that is advanageous to their skill sets. Shoving square pegs into round holes isnt the answer.

22. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I'd love it if you lost Rolfe instead of us losing Quaranta :/

23. firstshirt

firstshirt Member+

Bayern München
    United States
    Mar 1, 2000
    Ellington, CT / NK, RI
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I would not mind seeing Rolfe get called up and have him take Dempsey or Noonans place;)

24. DrBobC

DrBobC Member

Feb 28, 2004
    Burton upon Trent
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    are you so bored dicussing your wins that you had to come to our boards?

25. xkimo_fire

xkimo_fire New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Iowa
    I guess you don't watch many of the games.

If you did you would see that most of our attacks come from the left. (Guerror & Mapp) When the attacks are coming from the right side of the field, its usually from Mapp, who is roaming the field.

So what would these two add.
    Quarantara would be an offensive improvement over Marsh or Pause, who are usually in that spot.