Qualification system needs changing.

Discussion in 'CONCACAF' started by DoyleG, Jul 28, 2002.

1. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    WHy not have the Gold Cup as the qualifier for the WC.....BUT have ALL teams qualify into the Gold Cup

2. sidspaceman

sidspaceman Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 20, 2002
    AMÉRICA DE CALI
    Club:
    America de Cali
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Were would the Gold Cup be played? It would seem to be vastly unfair to the federations that were not hosting the Gold Cup. Who would get the attendence money or concessions?

3. DoyleG

DoyleG Member+

CanPL
    Canada
    Jan 11, 2002
    YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB
    Club:
    FC Edmonton
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Teams already do qualiy for the Gold Cup. Central American teams go through the UNCAF tournament. The Caribean teasm gotrhough the Copa Caribe.

4. 1974-2006

1974-2006 New Member

Oct 25, 2001
    Montreal
    Actually I think he means ALL the teams would have to qualify including Canada, Mexico and the US witch is not how it's done currently.
    I'm not sure I totally agree with this idea though, Concacaf teams need to play as many competitive internationals as possible if they are to
    remain at the level they are playing now. I sincerely think that having to qualify for the world cup, the Gold and playing in the finals help
    the Concacaf play at the level they did during the Wold cup. And if the smaller teams are to ever improve I don't see how the can achieve
    that if they don't get to play as many competitive games as possible.

5. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    I'm a bit puzzled. By your own argument, there are only 9 contending teams in Concacaf. At the same time, you put 16 teams into the semifinals and claim there won't be cakewalks. That doesn't jibe.

6. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
    ALL teams need more seasoning, hence there should be more qualifiers, with all teams involved....And I suggest using the Gold cup so:
    -Gets rid of the outsiders
    -makes it worth something
    -makes it less like a two-bit operation (though it's almost inpossible to prove CONCACAF isn't one)