Quakes package in annual KNBR auction TODAY (12/8)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Dec 2, 2004.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    For those who don't usually listen to sportstalk on KNBR 680/1050 AM...

Every year, KNBR has a one-day auction of various autographed memorabilia and sports fantasy packages. Proceeds benefit the Bay Area Sports Hall of Fame (BASHOF).

This year's auction is next Wednesday, December 8, all day on KNBR.

This year, the Earthquakes are getting in on the act, offering:

Tomorrow (12/3) between noon and 3 on 680 AM, Rick Barry and Rod Brooks will have Pat Onstad to discuss the Quakes package.

Here's the web site with more auction info: http://www.knbr.com/sportsauction/index.html

FYI.

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Re: Quakes package in annual KNBR auction (12/8)

Bump.

Onstad on today some time between noon and 3 on 680 AM to talk about the auction, and I presume other important stuff about the life of a western Canadian keeper.

3. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

Onstad's up next, with Rick Barry and Rod Brooks, after the 2:30 news.

http://www.knbr.com

4. OldFanatic

OldFanatic Member

Jan 12, 2004
    Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Wow, they actually interview Earthquakes players (other than Landon) on mainstream media? What did he have to say?

5. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

That is a very weird auction. You have to call them to make a bid, but without knowing the current price? Or is the auction totally live? (I did read the entire description through, once, and decided not to spend any more time deciphering the rules--already have four season tix anyway.)

6. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

They asked him about the disappointing end to the season, and he seems sorta pissed about the way it ended. They discussed Landon and Freddy, and also how Onstad misses hockey (even though he's Canadian, he copped to rooting for the Sharks against Calgary in last year's playoffs). Onstad also mentioned he and his wife had their second baby a couple weeks ago, another boy. Overall about 10-12 minutes, and Onstad was a pretty good interview.

7. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

It's totally live. During KNBR's various shows throughout the day, they'll put items on auction. Their web site has a list of what goes auction during each show. The Quakes package will go on auction at some point during the Rick Barry & Rod Brooks show tomorrow (680 AM, 12-3 PM PST). They'll keep announcing the current high bid, and you can bid multiple times.

8. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Thanks...given that radio stations usually have a relatively small listening audience between noon and 3, I'm wondering how much activity these items get? (I would listen myself but will probably forget...)

And thanks for the update on Pat's family. His wife looked as though she was ready to pop at the ClubQuake party three weeks ago, but I didn't realize she was so close to her due date. (To think she might have given birth at a CQ celebration--how perfect would that have been.)

9. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

maybe the quakes can put the franchise up for auction. might be worth it if we find an I/O.
    ;)

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003

Also doesn't sound like Pat is going to be retiring, at least not this year. He talked about how much he likes the area here and well, he's got some mouths to feed (he didn't say that, but he did mention the newly born second kid). He also mentioned that Landon had a really tough year, with all the traveling, dealing with the decision about where's he's going to playing next year, etc. He didn't make too big a deal out of the relocation / sell rumors and their effect on the performance of the team, saying something like that's part of sports, etc. Rick asked him about how he prepares for a match and he talked about it being tough mentally to keep the concentration level up, especially during matches where you don't see a lot of action [insert snide remark about concentration lapses here]. He made it sound like the physical part was, at this point, kind of second nature [insert snide remark about presumed declining physical skills here].

11. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks for the synopsis. Sounded like a good interview.

12. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Annoying. Even though they announced last week (when they had Onstad on) that the Quakes package would be auctioned during the Rick & Rod show, it was apparently auctioned off during the Gary Radnich show between 9:30 and noon, at least according to the latest schedule on their web site.

I don't listen to Gary Radnich, so I have no clue if the package was auctioned off or if bidding is closed. Did anyone listen?

Oh, well. At least people on KNBR had to say "Earthquakes" multiple times today.