Quakes in Nats Camp

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Ringo, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Landon, Brian Mullan, The Chinger ..... and Ramirio Corrales. I like the guy, but I'm surprised at that. I'm sure there will be some interesting reactions to that on here. :)

the full roster and discussion is over on the u.s. men's n&A board.

2. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Richard???? WTF!

3. Tony in Quakeland

Jan 27, 2003
    Pleasant Hill, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe Mulrooney needed family time. Don't get Ramiro at all.

4. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For whatever reason, Arena has consistently chosen others over Mulrooney. I'm afraid RM's nats window might be closed, but I hope I'm wrong.

Congrats to Donovan, Corrales, Mullan, and Ching, if this roster is in fact the one Arena calls in (it is SA informed speculation).

In his chat on espn.com Rob Stone says the roster has been finalized but Arena/US soccer asked the journalists not to reveal it.

Give Corrales a specific role, and with good players around him, and he's fine.

Tony

5. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to see the Quakes racking up a few slots on the roster. :)

6. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Unless Mulrooney isn't a fit in the backline, and he's just better as a mid similar to what he plays here (re: Armas, maybe Reyna). He's played well for club, he should be warranted a shot. Unless, he's our team's version of Jason Kreis--great for his club side, but can't do well at the National Team level.

We'll see how Corrales does--he's been the "Mike Rathje" (for you hockey/Sharks fans who will get the name) of this team where the fans here knock him but somehow he gets plaudits from the opposing coaches and so forth. Like tedwar says, give him a specific role, and surround him with good players. Maybe, like Cobi's role in the Nats right now.

Ching if healthy can be a steal on this team. Right now, I have to watch out for Eddie Johnson since he's been on a roll. He has to show that he can stay, and scoring an equaliser (re: Jamaica on the road) will help in that cred.

I know Joe is a member of the Rapids now, but good for him he's getting a chance to train with the team. Since this is a match to play out the string, just give him and the aforementioned players some time and see what happens. Cheers!

7. Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud New Member

Apr 5, 2003
    Mountain View
    Corrales as a nat?

I haven't seen the whole roster yet but I would guess that either DMB or Eddie Lewis is staying in Europe. Maybe both.

And we have already advanced.

8. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, I've been greatly expressing my surprise at Corrales being called up, but I'd actually forgotten about DMB and Lewis not being there - so who else on the left. Although Convey has been called in.

So, so happy about Brian Mullan getting a chance.
    And of course, Donovan and Ching.

9. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
  10. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ching ? Uh, I don't know about that one. Corrales ? Come on now Bruce. With MLS, the A-League and project 40 players this is the best he came up with ? What about that Spector kid over at evil United ? I've only seen him play once but he was giving the forwards fits everytime they tried to get past him. :confused:

11. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spector is there, too.

12. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Once again, I have no clue what I'm talking about. Thanks

13. Muy Cerca

Muy Cerca Member

Jan 10, 2002
    Downtown San Jose,CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Corrales Bashers foiled again!!!! :D

I would be disappointed to see Miro leave the quakes...and I think some people around here belatedly will see that. I hope they protect him in the expansion draft.

14. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    Corrales? I don't get that and I don't think he's as bad as everyone else does. Mulrooney thing bugs me because, while I get Reyna, I don't think Armas is better than Mulrooney. I hope it's because Mulrooney needed the time and not a NAT slight.

15. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    I think Armas has outperformed Richard at the USMNT level. Richard has a penchant for not playing really well when Arena does give him a rare look. I also thought Richard looked a little better at right back at that level than at d-mid. YMMV.

Richard is a lot like Ralston or Kreis...a stud in league, but can't crack the Nats. Ralston's getting a look again this time, and I hope it works out for him better than previously.

16. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I pretty much agree with you. I think a lot of Richard's problem in midfield for the Nats is that he's been spoiled by working with Ronnie Ekelund, and when he's paired with someone else in the midfield, it's hard for Rich to link up correctly. Although if Landon is playing center mid with Rich, that's a pretty good pairing...

But Armas has done well for the Nats, and links well with Claudio Reyna.

17. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Richard is more of an attacker than Bruce likes to see from his D-Mid. But if I had to guess why Richard wouldnt be called in for Jamaica, I would suspect family is still very much on his mind.

As for Ramiro, well hes the kind of guy that you can fill in the gaps of your team with. Hes no star, but put him in a role where hes not required to make plays, just play solid soccer, hes your man. I also think his ability to play at left back and central midfield is probably a lot more intriguing to Arena than his ability as a left mid. Frankly if I thought Arena were looking at Ramiro to play left mid Id have to agree he was crazy. Ramiro is just not well suited for it.

18. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    Maybe Bruce managed to watch the game in which Ramiro was paired with Landon in the middle?

19. dred

dred Member+

Nov 7, 2000
    Land of Champions
    I don't think you'll have to worry about that, he'll be back.

I think the guy is a solid player. He wins the ball and then protects it well. Like Lagos and Eddie Gaven, he's got those big long chunky legs.

That's great he gets another shot at the Nats.

20. CARLOS1

CARLOS1 Member

Aug 9, 2001
    Sunnyvale, CA
    Club:
    Real Betis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Soccer is all about plays. He does not have the vision, period. I'm not attacking anyone but Ramiro is not national team material. If he is then don't look forward to 2006, or 2010 for that matter.

21. Naco

Naco Member

Aug 5, 2001
    This is a sad day for US Soccer.

22. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's the "B" team or bubble players who are being looked at for this match. Corrales is a long shot at best. Everyone else is either getting a first look or a second chance at the US National Team.

Ching has an outside chance at the team--he just has to compete with the younger forwards on the pool such as Johnson, who has helped his own cause with 4 goals the last game against Panama, and Casey, who despite being injured is playing at the higher level in Europe.

Thank goodness for depth--there's so many players that can get a chance at the National Team. Cheers!

23. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    3 goals v Panama...
    1 goal v El Salvador....

all within about 25 minutes on the pitch....

24. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Care to elaborate?

This is a throwaway match, because the US has already clinched passage to the next round. Arena's smart to take a look at all his fringe players. Besides, Corrales is probably just bench filler, anway.

If I was Mulrooney, I'd tell Arena to get bent unless he planned on letting me play again at some point. How many times is he gonna get called up just to sit the bench? ******** that.

25. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That's the point there. There's nothing at stake, and just give him a free trip. Unless he does something of the extraordinary we won't see Ramiro in the hex unless the team has clinched passage to Germany.

It's just like Manny Lagos--he's there just to take the place of some "A" teamer who can't make it for whatever reason.

There's also the diamonds in the rough that Il Bruce hasn't taken a look at just yet, and because of that they are getting another chance. Cheers!