Quakes FO vs. 1906 Ultras, Round #?

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Socarchist, Aug 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socarchist

Socarchist Member+

Feb 21, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  2. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  3. BlueAvenger

BlueAvenger New Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  4. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The fact that you disagree with the sentiment does not make it appropriate for punishment.

markmcf8 and SWOKI repped this.
  5. BlueAvenger

BlueAvenger New Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

Maybe the Ultras should take it to court then.

6. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Maybe they will.

7. dmaveritas

dmaveritas Member

Nov 7, 2010
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
  9. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Pruneyard Shopping Center, a private mall in Campbell, is the original precedent from the highest court in the land.

The California Constitution provides broader speech rights than the U.S. Constitution.

SWOKI and falvo repped this.
  10. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The fact that the Ultras apparently still can't police themselves is a good enough reason. The sentiment itself isn't necessarily a problem but the attitude certainly is. I bet Kaval talked to Margarit and the two ended up having a pissing contest. I think BOTH need to grow up.

11. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I would like to hear the Ultras official stance on this latest development before talking about action. But on the surface, it doesn't make a huge amount of sense. I did not see any tifo that I considered offensive (and I am a pretty uptight conservative person). I don't see a problem with a tifo that insults the opponent.

If the FO is concerned about the content, then seems to me that the best remedy would be to require the Ultras and all other SG to email in their upcoming tifo at least 48 hours before a game. It will take approximately 5 minutes of some underling's time to say "looks ok" or "send this to Dave." Isn't it better to work with your SGs rather than to denounce them in public?

If there were rules that the Ultras knew about and violated, that is another story.

darkstar10990 repped this.
  12. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You understand that decision is to be narrowly construed, right? The reason being is that a shopping center is normally open for unrestricted public access ... unlike a sports venue at a private university.

athletics68 repped this.
  13. acreach1

acreach1 Member

Feb 19, 2007
    'cause that is what we need more of.....litigation

14. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I'm no lawyer, nor do I claim to be one, but isn't that a "private" mall insofar as it is "privately" owned yet you have free "public" access. Unlike a "privately" owned sport venue in which you have to purchase access to, and therefore are subject to the "rules" required for entrance and the required behaviour to continue to have access at a later time?

15. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    There are no restrictions on who attends Quakes games, provided you have a ticket.

SWOKI and darkstar10990 repped this.
  16. acreach1

acreach1 Member

Feb 19, 2007
    I think the Ultra's kick ass and are a huge asset to the environment during the games and to the team. I also think I would like them to be more focused on the club than themselves...

SWOKI, due time and athletics68 repped this.
  17. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    You don't have to purchase access to Quakes games. Hundreds if not thousands of tickets are handed out for free every game. Discovery would reveal how many.

18. BlueAvenger

BlueAvenger New Member

Jul 31, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    It most likely has to do with the message banner that they put up about the car smashing incident. The gemale that is the supposed victim in they eyes of the Ultras is the same female that ran up to the car and allegedly tried to steal the Portland fan's scarf. The same guy that had his windshield smashed in by someone associating themselves with the Ultras. Rumor has it that the perpetrator of the car smashing was not an Ultra. (according to Ultras) However, that can't be confirmed as no name was released.

19. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I'd like to see you make that tortured argument in court with a straight face...

sjquakes08 repped this.
  20. fadedtoblack

fadedtoblack Member+

Nov 6, 2007
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  21. blurryblue

blurryblue Member+

May 25, 2013
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The female should not have tried to steal the scarf, the guy should not have tried to drive off in a panic, the Earthquakes fans (Ultras or otherwise) should not have smashed the guy's hood and windshield, the Ultras should not have made a stupid tifo to bring it up again, and Kaval/Margarit should have acted like adults to work it out without compromising home field advantage. I blame Canada.

22. SalinasQuakesFan

Mar 27, 2010
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I don't doubt that many tickets are given away, however the venue operator/owner would still require that you abide by the "rules" to continue to maintain access, and have access at a later date, or am I wrong to believe this?

23. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    The tortured argument is the one which says the setting is not semi-public because there is ordinarily a, in most cases modest, admission charge. When some ten thousand people gather together and dozens (if not hundreds or thousands), including the coaches and players, regularly shout obscenities and people all over the stadium display placards and banners, the semi-public aspect of the setting seems incontrovertible.

The Quakes encourage banners except when they don't like the content of the speech.

It's a pretty easy case, in my view. A judge could disagree, which is why there is an appeals court, and a California Supreme Court beyond them. Several years from now we might get an answer.

24. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Any "rule" to refrain from speech the Quakes don't like would be void as against public policy.

25. don gagliardi

don gagliardi Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    Feb 28, 2004
    san jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Motto of every law firm. :)

Earthshaker repped this.