Quakes/FC Cows (7/2/05) inmatch/postmatch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Jul 2, 2005.

1. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    I haven't "pigeon-holed" Bret, I'm just telling you where he is playing, how he is performing, and where the coaches appear to have him on the depth chart. If you don't like it, that's your choice but don't shoot the messenger.

Mostly, I think he is just stuck behind a lot of guys with more experience than him, so he isn't getting as much opportunities, even in practice. And he's behind another rookie who was drafted fairly high (Goldthwaite) who is also higher on the depth chart at this point.

I got the chance to watch practice yesterday for the first time in quite a while, and Bret is so far down the defensive depth chart that he wasn't even given any time in a 6 v 6 drill that was focused on the defensive unit. Later, in a 11 v 11 matchup, he was given some time playing right back on the second team, that was one of the few times he's played outside back that I've seen.

So when you talk about whether he is ready or likely to see any playing time, my answer is no, based primiarily on how the coaches are treating him. I tried to put in my observations on why I think that is in my last posts, but the bottom line is that I do not see him day to day, and neither do you. Conjecturing that he COULD play with other guys who are in the MLS doesn't mean much, it's what he shows in practice and who else the team has ahead of him.

If he can hang on with the team, maybe he'll get more time next year, as he definitely has a lot of potential and I like his physical and aggressive play. He just seems to need more playing and practice time, which is in short supply right now.

2. CUgrad01

CUgrad01 New Member

Oct 20, 2004
    I agree. Tough to compare players when they are not on the field at the same time. Thanks again.