Quakes expansion draft - who do we protect?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Sachsen, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Spoon

Spoon Member

Feb 25, 1999
    Overland Park Ks
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Expansion Draft for KC

bump now that the season is over.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

GA players? Like Pore and Watson?

I do two things. First I decide if leaving Marinelli available will get him picked on my roster and every other in MLS roster. Based on that, I try to trade him for something worthy of at least my #11 protect slot. RSL seems a likely canidate to trade for him. Similarly I do this with everyone I might trade…Garcia, JBJ, EJ if certain to leave, Zags, and Sasha. I try as hard as possible to trade for picks pre-draft.

Next I figure if EJ is leaving or not. If he is OR I think I can execute a fantastic bluff, I leave him unprotected.

With that in mind I protect:
    Arnaud, Conrad, JJ, Hartman, Sealy, Harrington, Colombano for his irreplaceable speed, Raybould, Garcia, Morsink and Marinelli/whatever you get in return for Marnelli if traded.

*If I can't trade Marinelli pre-draft maybe I get something for him after it. Someone's going to have a hole to fill.
    *If EJ stays then I leave Garcia or Raybould out depending on plan
    *Kronberg - I can't worry about as the reserves gave up a ton of goals and there's Hartman. If Kronberg is anywhere close to ready, I trade Hartman later for his value and live with growing pains*I leave Colombano out only if I know SJ has plans for all SI slots. Zags would be in.
    *Raybould has more value for a new team than Zags does. Raybould is the type of young utility guy SJ must select. KC can't allow it. Zags' loss at age 33 would hurt more now, but less as time moves, etc.

KC probably will lose Zags or Burciaga. Ultimately, the thinking might be geared for the new stadium opener rather than the next two years. The public voice will always be, "We're here to win now!"...at least it should be.

5. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Our GAs are Pore (if he's not graduated from the program) and I believe, John.

Dave, I don't see Marinelli being traded, Onalfo will either keep him, or he'll be let go. There's no way he goes to RSL, because RSL already has their 3 SI slots filled at this time, and by the way those 3 played late in the season, I doubt that RSL will get rid of any of them.

I also don't see us trading away Garcia, JBJ, EJ, Zags, and Sasha, while they're getting older, a few of those players are major backbones in the team, and getting rid of all of them would be a complete roster turnover that I don't think we've ever seen in MLS in a while.

I like Raybould, he's a good guy, but he's certainly not worth protecting. He's a player that we could pick up a basic carbon copy of in the draft with the same results. I'd be much more interested in protecting a player like Hohlbein over Raybould.

As for leaving EJ available or not, I think you leave him available either way, past history has shown that expansion teams are not going to use picks on high priced players, that's why you see so many players making the league max exposed in these things.

I could definitely see Jose being the one drafted from us if he's left unprotected.

That said, here's the list of 11 that I see being protected (John and Pore protected under GA rule, until we hear either or both have graduated)

Arnaud
    Conrad
    Hartman
    Sealy
    Colombano
    Morsink
    Harrington
    Jewsbury
    Zavagnin
    Hohlbein/Raybould/Wahl (one of those 3)
    Victorine

That leaves these guys exposed
    Jose Burciaga Jr.
    Edson Elcock
    Nick Garcia
    A.J. Godbolt
    Willy Guadarrama
    Eddie Johnson
    Chris Konopka
    Michael Kraus
    Eric Kronberg
    Amir Lowery
    Carlos Marinelli
    Ryan McMahen
    Ryan Raybould/Tyson Wahl/Aaron Hohlbein
    Lance Watson

Jose is the most tempting one on that list. If by some chance he's protected, then I think we could be one of the teams without a player picked (TFC only had 10 picks last year).

6. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO

Yeah, I don't see it either. I still try to get something for him...anything. If I'm another GM, I wouldn't give much value for him, and then only if I know my coaching would improve him...which is pretty arrogant and ultimately how CM gets signed everywhere. I just hope he's not part of the '08 master plan.
    Agreed. I'm not saying trade everyone. One will probably get picked. If it was me, I protect my youth. I also shop and see what the vet's values are. KC can probably be not very good until the stadium's second year and still be very viable. This isn't the only expansion draft coming. You draft well and some vets become expendable.

OK. I have not seen much of Hohlbein {Holy?, OK maybe not} so you could be right.

We arrived at the same place roughly. This gets more intereesting once the protected list is published.

7. wz187

wz187 Member

Aug 30, 2006
    I thought DPs were automatically protected too. In any case, there are so many scenarios where Johnson does not have to be protected, I would leave him off the list. What is the reasoning for not protecting Nick? I agree JBJ would be the most likely to be left off and then picked up, but left backs are so hard to come by, I would rather try to get trade value for him. We could get quite a bit for him.

I think Sasha might get left off too. He is our 6th highest payed player and he is borderline holding his starting place I like how he can play anywhere in midfield, but I think Morsink has enough potential to be a quality replacement in that regard. I agree with WizChart in that KZ would be a big loss this year, but would not hurt us long term. I still don't thik we expose him though.

There is no way we expose Sealy. A forward with a low salary is a must hold. When do we have him signed through?

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    through next season I'm pretty sure.

9. Sachsen

Sachsen Member+

Aug 8, 2003
    Broken Arrow, Okla.
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Protect at all Costs
    Arnaud
    Conrad
    Hartman
    Sealy
    Harrington

Protect if at all possible
    Garcia
    Jewsbury
    Zavagnin
    Eloy

Toss-ups
    Marinelli
    Burciaga
    Victorine

San Jose, Take 'em if you want 'em
    Morsink
    all the backups

The only name I left off the list is EJ. I honestly have no idea what the club should do with him. Even after a career high goal tally, he still seems like a paper tiger. Not that I know who to replace him with, because I don't. He just doesn't seem like he's going to lead us to any silverware.

Morsink has shown me nothing. I honestly have no idea what Curt sees in him.

As for Burciaga, I'm not quite ready to give up on him yet. In fact, as well as Harrington has done at left back, I'd like to see Jose more in a left midfield role, where his defensive lapses won't be as damning. Victorine seems like he's on the downside. I'd rather keep Marinelli and Jose out of the Toss-up category.

10. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    List seems pretty complete, but you also have to keep in mind the cost factor. If CO likes players like Morsink who makes about $30,000 or other smaller salaried players and considers them suitable replacements for a couple of more expensive veterans (I understand people disagree but looking at it from CO's point of view) he'll protect them to make some room to get a "pricier" forward for example. You could see for example Kerry being left unprotected for Morsink or Sasha for a Watson (OK maybe not the best example). Again, like everything it's pure speculation but cost cutting and saving might allow management to bring a more expensive (attractive) players to KC and put more buts in seats and therefore might be a route they go. I do hope Jose stays because I believe he has a lot to give.

I also think he'll protect both Argentinians because they are his picks (or Vermes'), but again money could play a big part since Marinelli does make a lot.

11. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As a general aside, not directed at you or anyone in particular, but I'm interested in seeing how well Morsink does next season. While I didn't agree with the number of starts and PT that he got, it was his first season and while he didn't perform wonderfully all the time, I don't think he played as poorly as everyone made it out to be. Obviously Onalfo sees something there (or Morsink has something really juicy that Onalfo doesn't want anyone else to find out). I somewhat agree with the assessment that he might be worth keeping considering his salary and that he'll no longer be a rookie (and much farther than your average 2nd year in terms of PT).

I also agree on Jose - was very intrigued when they played him in mid and I wonder if we might see him in that roll more next season. It almost feels like Harrington and Jose can switch where they started this season... Harrington seems to do better with getting back after getting forward, both are great coming up and since I felt that Jose's defense improved a great deal over this season but that Harrington also played well in defense. Heck - even have them trade off in the middle of the game, that'd mess with the opposition's minds a bit I'd think.

I definitely don't see either Argentine leaving.

I see EJ getting sold to some high Championship side or low EPL side... or Fulham. I think they'll leave Zavagnin along with Victorine... I wonder if Zavagnin really fits into the style that Onalfo wants to play as much (although his possible Goal of the Year makes it seem like he could). Problem with losing Victorine is that we is our other aerial pressence. I figure that Quakes might end up going for Pore, Wahl, Raybould or Hohlbein anyways. These are relatively cheap players which have shown some promise and at the very least can give you a few good games when other starters are out (which I do feel they did a very good job for us this last season in this role). Depends on what the rest of the league does too, I suppose... but assuming they have no particular needs (holding midfielder for instance) that's who i would guess.

12. cjgwizard

cjgwizard Member

Apr 25, 2006
    LSP, section 129
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump.

Next on the agenda....probably losing a player in the expansion draft.

Does anybody know if the protected lists are made public on a website, or is somebody with connections going to have to dig to find it tomorrow?

13. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    they're suppose to be out tomorrow, but I don't remember if they were published online last year, I think they were eventually. Last year Chad got us the list, we'll see if he needs to do it again.

11 players will be taken per Goff's blog, so 2 teams won't have players taken.

14. worldsoccer217

worldsoccer217 New Member

Oct 31, 2007
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here's the protected list:

Davy Arnaud
    Jimmy Conrad
    Nick Garcia
    Michael Harrington
    Jack Jewsbury
    Eddie Johnson
    Carlos Marinelli
    Kurt Morsink
    Scott Sealy
    Sasha Victorine
    Kerry Zavagnin

Therefore the Unprotected Players are:

Burciaga, Jose
    Colombano, Eloy
    Elcock, Edson
    Godbolt, AJ
    Guadarrama, Willy
    Hartman, Kevin
    Hohlbein, Aaron
    John, Will
    Konopka, Chris
    Kraus, Michael
    Kronberg, Eric
    Lowery, Amir
    McMahen, Ryan
    Pore, Ryan
    Raybould, Ryan
    Wahl, Tyson
    Watson, Lance

Not to happy with leaving Jose and Eloy out there. I have a feeling Jose will be snatched up. Also, I'm kind of confused on why you would protect Kerry and Morsink if they basically play the same position and you are looking to secure starters.

I'm sure CO and the staff have a plan; it's just a little weird.

Well, the forum is open to comments.

15. kcscsupporter

kcscsupporter Member+

Apr 17, 2002
    D17
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    :eek:

16. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thikn Morsink can play KZ's position too. But I bet Onalfo sees Morsink as a player that can play attacking role, defensive role or wide role - which he did play this season. Dropping the argument about whether or not he is good enough, my guess is that Onalfo wants him due to his versatility. Keeping KZ is good - very experience and a leader on the team. Onalfo is high on him. I'd see us trading Kerry before letting him go for nothing.

17. t.z0n3

t.z0n3 New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Kansas, USA
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jose or Hartman will soon be in San Jose. Damn. We could use BOTH of them... :(

18. SombraAla

SombraAla Member+

Apr 2, 2006
    Waldo (Kansas City)
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could only lose one - each team can at most lose one player.

19. vividox

vividox Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 10, 2005
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Honestly I'm a little sad the Quakes didn't take Jose. It'd be really nice to not have to worry about which team Jose is going to play for on a particular Saturday.

20. ojsgillt

ojsgillt Member

Feb 27, 2001
    Lee's Summit MO
    I doubt Jose will be around next year. That pains be a bit because I have grown to love him but at some time there comes a point when you see a player has nothing left to offer for the team. He is still young. Maybe in 2-3 years he shores up his defence and sticks around and makes a comeback one thing is for sure and that is he will be around this leauge for a long time. Hell Zotinca is still out there playin and I know if given a choice of the two who I would pick.