Quakes expansion draft - who do we protect?

Discussion in 'Sporting Kansas City' started by Sachsen, Aug 27, 2007.

1. wizards girl

wizards girl New Member

Dec 19, 2004
    oh this is beautiful. let them have sealy.

the greats are protected.

2. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and that way when Eddie leaves in the winter we can start Arnaud and Pore up top next season :rolleyes:

You may not like Sealy, but 20 plus goals in 3 seasons (no matter how you feel about the goals he scored, picking up the scraps or not), and that's with him fighting injuries and bad form this season. With the possibility of Eddie leaving in the winter we can not leave Sealy exposed.

3. s0ccerstud86

s0ccerstud86 Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Columbia, Mo
    timely article in tomorrow's star with a look into sealy's injury-riddled season. onalfo expecting 8-10 goals out of sealy by year's end surely indicates he sees quite a lot of skill in the striker.

4. Wizardscharter

Wizardscharter New Member

Jul 25, 2001
    Blue Springs, MO
    Sealy will be protected. Snap with a wet beach towel anyone who says otherwise.

My view of it today is KC doesn't really know who is most valuable so it's way too early to speculate on the marginal. The rest of the season is playoff time. It is now that you find out what is there - or at least the latest version of it.

The worst might be a full gutting of KC as we know it today as 3 straight playoffs missed would warrant it. The best is KC gets to the Final by some miracle and those events shape the roster. In between offers a lesser view of KC as having attractive players, so maybe less are lost.

KC, since the '04 USOC triumph at Arrowhead, has been average to crap in gut-check situations. Below expectation is the lable that leaps to mind. The current KC stable of graders are all rookies at this level. If it were me in CO's shoes, unless I was searching for a motivational angle on a specific player, I would not have even wasted a brain cell in consideration of it...too much unknown as yet. Too much time left for a zero to be revealed or a hero to be fused in the crucible of MLS pressure in fall.

5. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I dunno. Whenever a team from overseas with good players comes to play, people tend to show up.

6. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If Eddie leaves, we're going to need someone a whole helluva lot better than anyone we have on the current roster to fill his shoes. Sealy, Pore, Arnaud and Yura won't be able to adequately fill his shoes.

7. wizards girl

wizards girl New Member

Dec 19, 2004

uhhhh.

all i see is scottie off of the sandlot.
    the rest of the team plays rodriguez.
    "just stand there and hold your arm (in this case leg) high in the air":D

but hey, won't we acquire new players too?

8. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you added the part about Arnaud to my quote so I'm just quoting your post. I agree Arnaud hustles, but he's not really that good of a forward. He's a good player, but other then the 2004 season where he had 9 goals, he's never scored more then 5. Yes he spent a lot of time in midfield, but I don't see him having that type of season again. Besides I think he's better playing out of the midfield than up top.

Yes we'll bring in new players, but how will those players pan out? Will they be another Molnar, or will they be more like Vuk/Sumiala/Fabbro/Bunbury/Sabo/etc? A lot SIs that are brought into MLS don't pan out, most are middle of the road, I'd rather have a guy that has proven he can score in this league and Sealy has proven he can score.

Again as to your point about him just standing there. I direct you to Sasha's goal in DC at the beginning of the season, Sealy certainly didn't just stand there and let the ball bounce off him to play that ball to Eddie. Or his goal against Chicago with his touch to get around the slding Brown?

Or his goal in this video against New York, that's certainly more then just standing there.
    [YOUTUBE]0DTcHkzsWAA[/YOUTUBE] or the assist to Eddie in the same video.

9. Chairman Mau

Chairman Mau Member

Jul 4, 2007
    Birdland
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa

there are a lot of soccer fans in kansas city who are not wizards fans.

10. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After last night's debacle, I'd protect Arnaud, Conrad, Harrington, Burciaga, and Columbano, and dare them to pick anyone else off our roster.

11. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think they're fans of good soccer, which the Wizards clearly aren't capable of playing for any stretch of time at this point.

12. szazzy

szazzy Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Kansas City, MO
    The hyperbole is out in full force from everyone. I saw KC dominate long stretches of both of the last two matches, which would have to be considered the low point of the season. I see the ridiculous mental errors too, but the team is certainly capable of playing soccer that will win this league. That's the most frustrating part.

13. Silock

Silock Member

Feb 8, 2007
    KC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How is it hyperbole to say that we've been playing terrible soccer ever since EJ came back?

Playing stretches of games without scoring a goal and winning the match is hardly "dominating." You have to win. Period. This team is incapable of playing well enough to win the game for long stretches of time.

Don't take that as me wishing it stays like this, because I don't. That's just the reality of the situation right now.

14. BigLarr

BigLarr Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Overland Park, KS
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We should protect

Arnaud
    Burciaga
    Colombano
    Conrad
    Hartman
    Harrington
    Johnson
    Marinelli
    Movsisyan
    Victorine
    Zavagnin

Garcia has not been good in years and will be even worse next year.

15. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Abracadabra

Abracadabra BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 11, 2006
    Olathe, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That really surprises me that we protected Johnson. IIRC I think most teams chose not to protect their highest paid player on the very high probability that a brand new franchise would want to keep their payroll down. Then that gives you the flexibility to protect your hot prospect, if you have one.

17. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well that's why we left VDB exposed.

18. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Expansion draft speculation time

There isn't enough media on the internet to consume so please allow me to use you guys as food for my thought.

I believe you get 11 spots to protect. Who's it gonna be?

19. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Expansion draft speculation time

not going to be expansion draft speculation time til we are out of the playoffs.

and did you have to spam the rest of the MLS club forums with the same question, not changing a word?

20. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes

I changed a few words for Dynamo. and yes. I'm starved son! ESPNsoccernet, foxsoccer, yanks-abroad, americansoccerdaily, bigsoccer, MLSnet. where else can I go to fill my mind?

it's all in fun anyway. speculate...just cause the season isn't over doesn't mean a good conversation can't be had.

21. YilmazOrhan

YilmazOrhan Well Brian, I hit it first time...

Jun 18, 2006
    Suburbia, Kansas
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

But it is bad karma.

I've been wanting to start a "what about next year" thread.

But I didn't. And we're in the playoffs, because I didn't mess with the karma. ;)

22. Buzz Killington

Buzz Killington Member+

Oct 6, 2002
    Lee's Summit
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

except that many of us aren't looking towards the end of the season our minds are on Saturdays game, not who's going to be left available. And what we think doesn't matter anyways, it's usually completely wrong. I think everyone here thought we'd definitely protect a guy like van den Bergh last year and look what happened, and most of us expected Hesmer to be one of the least likely people to be taken of the people we left available.

23. Beech

Beech Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Kansas City
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tone Capone you can read our speculation here from a few months back to present.

Threads merged.

24. Tone Capone

Tone Capone Member

Dec 6, 2005
    SF Bay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    thanks for being friendly about it and not just giving me neg-rep like the broad who surprisingly enough is a Quake fan.

25. the_cyclones

the_cyclones New Member

Jul 26, 2004
    The Cauldron
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States