Quakes/DeeCee (7/15/05) inmatch/postmatch [R]

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by BlueMeanie, Jul 15, 2005.

1. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    DeRo with a great steal at midfield, dribbles up the center, through 3 defenders and gets a great shot off from the top of the box, knocked out by Rimando. CK saved by Rimando.

2. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah - it was Adu.......have read that Moreno doesn't seem to like to share the ball with Adu that much, wonder if that factored into it.

3. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Califf gives away a CK, and now DeRo is down on the field. Think he's probably just tired/dehydrated, he wasn't hit by anyone.

4. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    If you are taping this, go back and watch the replay of the sequence. DeRo was sitting up, Barrett came by and said something to him, then DeRo laid down. Wonder if Wade asked DeRo to cop everyone a quick breather.

5. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    DeRo went off the field for a couple of minutes but is back out there. San Jose is playing mostly defense the last 10-20 minutes, their only offensive chances are on counterattackes.

6. SambaJ

SambaJ Member

Mar 12, 2004
    Nashville, TN
    Another slow or poor decision by Moreno; I couldn't tell which.

7. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Halftime, DC 1-0.

Quakes look tired or a bit out of sorts.....Clark, Robinson, and Gray have all given the ball away at the defensive end leading to good chances by DC. And when the Quakes get the ball to the offensive end, there is not enough support for the forwards from the midfield. DeRo is down there, and Mullan has been there a few times, but I haven't seen Chung involved in anything significant.

DC is clogging the midfield like they did at Spartan Stadium, but the Quakes are actually getting some balls served through to Cerritos or Moreno. But they don't seem to be moving off the ball as well as they have been and showing for passes, so the offensive chances die off.

Interestingly, Russell and Wondolowski are not on the bench - they have Hart, Cochrane, ORourke, and Nash, so the only real offensive sub they can make is Nash. Hopefully they can come out with some new energy in the second half. The guy with the most energy that I see is Derosario, and he's coming off playing 3 games in the last 6 days.

8. DougO

DougO Member

Jan 2, 2001
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yuck. Halftime, and that damn 3-5-2 DCU runs is snuffing out our midfield play; we're not quick enough in that muggy heat to get through transition into attack reliably. DCU is up for this one. Hope Dom figures out how to get us through this one.

DougO

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Team just doesn't look very together. Way too many turnovers. D.C. was tentative at first, but now they've taken charge.

Hope for a stronger second half.

10. JazzyJ

JazzyJ BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 25, 2003
    Despite the score, I actually think the Quakes are doing a little better this time against DC. They're able to push it through the midfield a little easier. Still seems like DC is really swarming around the ball. But Quakes are able to crack it from time to time and that usually results in a decent chance. So I don't feel terrible about the game, just bad. DeRo's playing his butt off. Contrast that with "IDon'tWantToSeeASoccerBallForAWhileCakes". I think if there's a game on, DeRo wants to play.

11. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Yeah, I wish some of the other guys were playing as hard as he is.

12. FAS

FAS Member

Jun 5, 1999
    Los Gatos
    The 5 man midfield of DC is killing us, I hope that Dom makes some adjustments. Terrible giveaway by Gray that led to the goal.

13. Liviu

Liviu New Member

Jul 12, 2005
    Illinois, USA
    Yeah, that's one of the reasons Gray didn't get the playing time he wanted with the Fire.

14. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    I thought it was Rico's giveaway that led to the goal....but Gray has had a couple of other giveaways, there's enough to go around for all of the defense.

15. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Great play by Robinson on a breakaway by Adu, he really showed his speed there.

16. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the producers of this game suck.

they keep showing long closeups of players when the ball's in play. it keeps bugging me when they cut away from the action to show some player.

:(

oh, and the DeRo comments are absolutely right ... he's bringing it, like he always does. :)

17. Ringo

Ringo Member

Jun 10, 2002
    Rough and Ready
    Club:
    Yeovil Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  18. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard Chung is playing this game... anyone seen him yet?

19. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    J Moreno scores for DCU....nice cross from the left side, Moreno left open at the top of the box and he does a great one touch shot to beat Onstad. Defense caught looking a bit, but a great shot by Moreno that was hard to defend.

20. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE

Great shot by Moreno off Gros' cross. Looks like Onstad may have been screened by one, if not two, defenders.

0-2.

21. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hey - I just saw Chung hustle on defense for a loose ball....he IS out there.

22. jason1551

jason1551 Member+

Apr 9, 2003
    Columbus, GA
    Club:
    DC United
    That would be the typical shoddy camera work of Comcast's inept cameramen.

23. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    BTW, I still maintain that the Moreno - Cerritos forward line is flawed, in that we have no forward who can hold posession with his back to goal. Moreno falls down way to much.

24. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    No argument from me on that one.

25. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Ill add we have no offensive subs outside of Nash. Every other move would be defensive in nature.