Quakes coaching status (R)

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by tedwar, Nov 9, 2004.

1. jeff_adams

jeff_adams Member+

Dec 16, 1999
    Monterey, Ca

Do you mean a Quake's practice or a soccer practice in general? I've been coaching soccer since 1981, so yeah, I know what is SUPPOSE to happen at a soccer practice.

Just so people know, I'm not a John Doyle "hater". He was probably my all time favorite "Clash" player. He never mailed in a performance. Even when most of his teammates gave up, Doyle continued to play at 100% intensity.

While not as good in the booth, I still liked Doyle as an announcer (certainly preferable to Rob Stone or Ty Keogh).

It's Doyle the coach that hasn't convinced me. Can you cite me an example of Doyle's coaching leadership BlueMeanie?

2. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    No, but I haven't been hyping his leadership like you've been criticizing it. All I've done is ask questions to people who may have attended practice, or talked to a player.

And, yes, I was talking about Quakes practices.

For the coaching critics, here's Waibs from today's Merc:

Meanwhile, Earthquakes defender Craig Waibel was pleased to hear that Kinnear and Doyle would be back. After the team's fourth-place finish in the Western Conference and first-round exit from the playoffs, Lalas gave the rookie coaches no public guarantees of returning.

"Dom came into a really tough spot," Waibel said. "If he breaks a championship team up and doesn't succeed, he takes the fall. If he keeps them together, like he did, and they underachieve, people blame him. Even if he had won, people would have said it wasn't his team."

Yup.

3. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    Re: Colorado fires coach Hankinson

There's an obvious answer: money. MLS doesn't want to eat a contract, especially when the Quakes weren't absolutely horrible considering the shaky status of the team, injuries, call-ups, etc. And there were enough moments of brilliance to give Dom a second chance.

4. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Colorado fires coach Hankinson

This is a new ownership getting involved as well. Not quite the same thing as AEG and SJ.

5. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, much better, thank you! :D

6. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sorry. I didn't catch what you said. I went deaf from your yelling. Didn't quite figure out a thing you know....

7. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rob Stone is not really a 'color' guy like Ty Keogh, but there is something to respect and admire about a color commentator who you've seen play which makes guys like Doyle & Wynalda better than Keogh.

Who here is old enough to have seen Keogh play?

8. QuakeAttack

QuakeAttack Member+

Apr 10, 2002
    California - Bay Area
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the end, it was probably a good thing to keep the coaching staff with the current instability with the team. Also, with a good change that this will be a rebuilding year, he can have a chance to shape the team and apply some of the knowledge learned from his first year...

9. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Many, many times (we had season tickets to the San Diego Sockers in '79 and '80). Much better midfielder/defender than announcer, IMO. Pretty good camp coach, too.

10. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    1Brifanatic333 gave a contrary opinion of Doyle's abilities in dealing with a group of teenage players. That opinion may be just as viable.

I have to agree wholeheartedly. He'd be an excellent coach. Can't the Quakes take on two assistants, and try Jeff out?

11. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, I posted before I saw this.

12. living_ded_boy

living_ded_boy New Member

May 24, 2001
    Pleasanton, Ca
    When you say "kids".....you mean your age? I know my 17 yr old didn't care for him either. Doyle tends to be enthusiastic and he wants 100% from all involved. If he detects attitude(which my kid is full of), he will address it and he isn't into excuses. Now, with the younger kids....he rocks....the kids love him.

As far as the Quakes, what i'm saying is.....he will take on any and all responsibility.....maybe Dom wants him observing like Yallop. Maybe Dom doesn't want to do that.....if in fact Doyle is only "standing around"....I haven't seen it.

13. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    When he coached me, I was at about the under 10 level, high competative soccer....he sucked it up. He never taught us, he just sat and yelled at us. 10 year old little girls dont respond to yelling. I mean, yeah, it was cool at first to know that my coach was a "pro".....(I knew it, at least, I followed soccer all my life one way or another), but then I realized that being a pro doesnt mean hes a good coach. All of the parents disliked him, as well. He never came to any extra team functions (fund raisers, bar-b-ques, etc....)...it was only about soccer and winning to him, nothing else. No fun times off the field, no "give this player time to develop". He always played the same girls, non-stop....at the U-10 level, that shouldn't be happening. Now, I was priveledged enough to not have to be around him as much as my teammates because I was a keeper, and had keeper training with a personal trainer....but the time I spent with him as a coach was quite enough, thank you. All of the parents wrote letters at the end of the season, and we had a new coach starting the next year....never heard from him again after that season around Manteca soccer.....

14. hannah8

hannah8 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    In what city/club did he coach you, and when?

15. Beerking

Beerking Member+

Nov 14, 2000
    Humboldt County
    Huge mistake keeping either of these two idiots. AEG and galexi just don't care or are too damn lazy to look for anybody better. Get ready for another half-assed season or worse now that Donovan is gone. Do I really want to buy season tickets just to watch a losing team? I'll have to think about this.

16. bcguy4quakes

bcguy4quakes BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 27, 2000
    Santa Cruz, CA, USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    C'mon Tom, didn't you support the Clash/Quakes prior to 2001? I doubt the Quakes in any form will approach that amount of suckitude next year.

17. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Kinnear 3 - MLS 2.

For those awaiting the "result" spoiler.

18. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You beat me to it, Pat. I think I remember BK (a.k.a. Deathontoast) at all of the 2000 games (or most of them) and I don't think any season will ever go lower than that as the nadir.

19. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Be careful Albs, lets not jinx ourselves.

Tony

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, that might happen, but.....I can still feel my year-2000 stomach dropping at some of those losses and it never happened that bad either before or after. Keep believing.

21. tedwar

tedwar Member

Jun 24, 1999
    Richmond, CA-EastBay
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah, not to threadjack, but anytime I hear or see any coach using 4-5-1, I think of aimless long balls in the vague direction of the valiant but stranded AT Conteh.

Tony

22. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    MASL- Manteca Area Soccer League. Manteca is a small cow town about an hour and a half away from san Jose. I played hi-competative from like under 8, and up. He coached me at the u-10 level...so I was about 10 years old. its 2004, and im 20, now...so you do the math....

23. hannah8

hannah8 Member

Aug 19, 2002
    I think you have him confused with someone else...John Doyle was out of the country in '92 and '93, and out of the state in '94 and '95. Regardless, I can't imagine him traveling to Manteca to coach a U10 girls team at any time???

Might want to check that team photo.

24. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    I know it was John Doyle that coached me. I have been around soccer my entire life...I know who John Doyle is, thank you. I may have been off on the year. I remember, we practiced at East Union High School, we were purple, and called the angels. It was John Doyle, and he sucked as a coach. He was a family friend of one of the girls on my team, so he agreed to coach us that year....then we all got him kicked out.....