Quakes Centipede in the Bay to Breakers

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Openthegate, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    Remember folks - it's not a race. It's a binge.

2. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I'm curious about this. I've not done the BtoB before. Is it going to be a seven-mile-long walking party, or just a seven-mile-long walk? I was planning on bringing some Gatorade and such so that I don't suffer from lack of electrolytes, but if people are going to be drinking the whole way, I can support that... except I need to meet my wife for lunch and can't be totally plastered, the last time that happened wasn't pretty... and Guy said no puking on the flag... so I guess I won't be drinking too much. But are the rest of you going to be partying it up?

3. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    well yeah kinda yeah. pretty much absolutely, yeah. yes.

There will likely be frat kids rolling entire bars up Hayes Hill, so it's not like we'll be out of line.

4. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going bowling that night, plus given that I might be doing a whole lot of walking, I like to limit my drinking as much as possible, save for a little. Just to be sure, I'd take a bottle of water/gatorade etc. Of course, have to limit myself at the tailgate as well with the beer and so forth.

However, we just have to be on the alert, for, well you know... ;)

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK then, I'll throw a few leftover beers from the tailgate into the backpack cooler. See some of you on the train! (EDIT -- I mean, I'll see most of you at the tailgate first, and then on the train the next morning.)

6. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    I'm still trying to decide if beer or water goes in the camelbak. :D

7. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Didn't know leftovers were supposed to happen !!! :)

I'm supposed to meet some friends downtown who prefer tequila w/ squirt, so that's probably what I'll be bringing. Them being women though, they will probably change their minds :D (just kidding ...)

8. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    Good luck to all of you running in the Centipede....show the Quakes colors off! I'll be at the Reserves game Sunday, will give you a report.

Let's get a clean sweep this weekend:

1. Quakes over FCD for 3 points
    2. Quakes Reserves over FCD Reserves for 3 points
    3. Quakes Centipede wins the Centipede division in the B2B....well, ok, Quakes Centipede finishes the B2B.....well, ok, maybe just the Quakes Centipede shows up and is able to carry the flag for one mile!

9. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll take it all the way so as many people as possible can see it. :)

10. Alexi

Alexi Member

Feb 26, 1999
    San Francisco
    They aren't supposed to happen. But they happen!
    This is why the cooler is called "MAGIC cooler"

11. sportsfan-quakes

Mar 19, 2005
    San Jose
    What? No promises to compete for the "fastest centipede" title?

Will be watching for all of you on the B2B wrapup shows and on the news!

12. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Here we go, here we go, here we go
    Here we go, here we go, here we go-o
    Here we go, here we go, here we go
    Here we go, HERE WE GO...

13. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Haven't seen the flag on TV yet :(

14. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sooo f***in' tired.
    Tell them next time to start the race at noon!
    We made it all the way to Hayes St, then the route seriously bottlenecks. We were doing okay, but the hordes of drunken revelers were not, so I shut the flag portion down at that point to protect it. Some of the others are probably still on the course now.

There will be a whole lot of pictures from Jay Hipps. Here's one I took of some surprise guests.

Some Riot Squad members showed up. They looked cute in their I Dream of Jeannie outfits.

15. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm currently checking the broadcast through my TiVo.

12 minutes into the race. If you look on the upper right corner of your screen during the tiki hut shot, you can see the flag, also 24 minutes in on the same part of your TV screen. Each time though you just can't read the damn thing.

There we are, in the shot 27 minutes in behind the Beer-A-Mid. The popemobile actually passed under us.

We had to take off a little early since the crowd starting moving. So if we left anybody behind, mea culpa. It tooks us until 8:30 just to reach the starting line.

16. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    You can say that again!!!
    The rest of us had a good time going though the panhandle. Some of the sights got better at that point. (Not as many naked old men) We took a left somewhere along the route and went to Kezar Pub.

17. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    David and I are now home. Here's the report:

After we put away the flag six of us were left and did the climb up Hayes hill and beyond. At the top of the hill we took a bathroom break and ran into a group of guys who were dressed as soccer refs and were yellow and red carding everyone for various infractions (illegal use of body paint! You're ejected!), and they were familiar with the quakes since they were friends of Sasha Victorine (how is that for random...)

Like Openthegate said, we ended up diverting from the route to head to Kezar for a few beers and some food. After that everyone left but David and I decided to walk to the end just so we could say SOMEONE in our group made it (pansies). :D Only a few steps into Golden Gate park we ran into Nap, who joined us for the rest of the walk. We did indeed make it all the way and then some, although we had taken that flag the whole way I don't think we'd be at the top of Hayes street hill by now - that was getting rough with the crowds. David took a few snapshots of us at the 'breakers' to prove that we made it!

We had a great time - it was our first B2B and I'm already looking forward to next year's party (rolling tailgate party anyone?)

18. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Just like to say I had a good time hanging with fellow Quakes fans ... My first time participating in bay2breakers and had a lot of fun. As we (slowly) moved along, we stopped at several intersections and which gave people a chance for other walkers and some runners to pass by. They had a GREAT time running under the flag. People also had fun with our chants and sometimes even sung along with us. Got to engage a few people in some Quakes talk with some non soccer fans and it seems like they enjoyed seeing the fun we were having and the spirit we displayed. I told them to go to the games because they would have a great time !!!!

A general feeling that stuck with me is that this event is a great way for the Earthquakes to gain exposure to people who don't know or perhaps care about MLS. If we do this again next year, maybe we can get the Quakes to give us some team schedules or stuff to pass out. I for one wouldn't mind doing it considering the general positive responses that I got from the people I talked to along the course ... For those that didn't get to go, hopefully you can take part next year as it really was a lot of fun ...

19. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    On KRON Sunday Night:

8:00 p.m. Bay to Breakers Highlights Show
    9:00 p.m. More highlights on KRON 4 News at 9
    11:30 p.m. Bay to Breakers Race Re-broadcast (entire race, about 2.5 hours)

I don't know who else beside Jay Hipps and Guy that took pictures but here's some good info below.

If you've captured some of the Bay to Breakers excitement on your camera, send KRON 4 your digital photos and we'll select some some to post on our website at KRON4.com !*
    Please e-mail your best digital photos to photos@kron4.com. Photos that have been selected will appear on KRON4.com the week of Monday, May 16.

20. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice shot of the flag just now....well the pack you were in.... I could tell it was you all. Too bad it wasn't shot from above more.

21. Jay Hipps

Jay Hipps Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Northern California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just got back after a very long day. Pics will be posted tomorrow.

Great time! Let's do it again next year!

22. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good show you guys! I really wish I could have done it, but because of an injury I was unable to make it. It sounds like you guys did great promoting our boys!

23. losgatosfan

losgatosfan New Member

Feb 21, 2005
    Los Gatos, CA
    Congratulations to all of you who participated, and to those of you who made it to the finish! I'll watch the replay of the run tonight and look for the flag!

Good idea about passing out schedules or something next year....

24. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep!

For those who didn't see me, I got there at 8:45 am and figured everyone else took off with the pack. So, I missed out on the BAQF, but it was a personal quest for me to walk from the east side of the bay to the Pacific. Despite cramping twice, and almost abandoning the course, I was lucky to run into Dave and Becks--which made all the difference in the world. Can't thank you enough. :)

and each time I go to the Love Parade, or How Weird, there's those fat naked guys that could pass for those from the movie Eurotrip. There's a lot that can't be suited for family fare... :p

Except for the techno music at Divisidero, and Hayes Street literally turned into Mardi Gras. Beads anyone? Then, well, never mind...

Still can't believe I still managed to make it to birthday bowling.

Magic Cooler and Black Dream next year. muaha! :D

TPTB owes Club Quake, and the fans big time--best freaking pub they could get in San Fran and all over. Cheers!

25. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I had gotten more shots once we started going, but it got a little tricky holding the flag, toting the suitcase (which I brought the flag in), and taking pictures. Once I saw Jay had it covered, I put my camera away.

Now that I know what to expect, I think it could be planned out next year. In hindsight a Rosie Ruiz could have been done with the flag. Skip the bottleneck sections where it got too crowded to be safe, and pull it back out when we reach areas where the street widens again.

Most of all we need even more people, so it could be carried in shifts (while others could manage traffic, directions, etc.). I think 30 or so would work great.