Quakes Centipede in the Bay to Breakers

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Openthegate, Nov 22, 2004.

1. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Sounds insane !!! Though I'm personally looking forward to seeing these guys spreading some Earthquake Passion ....

[​IMG]

Hope we get a good turnout. Both on Saturday against dallas and again on Sunday to continue the party ....

3. sonofapitch

sonofapitch New Member

Feb 11, 2002
    Novato, CA
    Sorry to say I will have to miss the B-to-B. I'm scheduled to work that day. I had hoped I would be off but it was either miss the Quakes' game Saturday or miss the run on Sunday......an easy choice.

I'll be watching for you on TV, though! :)

4. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Change of meeting location!

We will now meet at the intersection Howard and Embarcadero. Look for the BAQF and a bunch of folks in blue. Please be there by 8:30. The race start time is 8:00, but it usually takes around 30 minutes before the back of the pack gets going.

Here's the official map:
    [​IMG]

5. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just make sure that KCBS has something on their news reports like: "My word, folks, you should have seen that beautifully magnificent San Jose Earthquakes flag, the highlight of the entire Bay-to-Breakers."

6. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Caltrain also has a special train on Sunday morning. It stops in San Carlos at 6:30 AM. I'll probably take the regular train which comes 15 minutes later, since we don't need to be there at the start of the race.

Say, how do we get from the far end of SF back to wherever we came from? Are there lots of buses, etc? I guess we could walk down to the N-Judah and take that all the way back to the Embarcadero or Caltrain station (perhaps with a stop at Stanyan to visit the Kezar Pub), but won't everybody be doing that?

8. mitquinn

mitquinn Member

Oct 17, 2003
    Regarding transport back to the start, there are Muni buses galore leaving from the Polo Grounds. There was good signage the last time I did it in 2003 to let you know which side of the Polo Grounds you should exit.

You should check the BtoB and Muni websites, though, because I've always had a Muni sticker added to my runner's number. It was paid for with the registration weeks before the race.

You should check and see if they will sell Muni passes inside the Polo Grounds. I believe I saw a booth selling them, but I'm not sure. These buses are expresses with no stops until you get to Fremont and Market.

9. mitquinn

mitquinn Member

Oct 17, 2003
    You better check, if you're planning on going to Footstock at the Polo Grounds, to see if there's an admission fee. There never was in earlier years, and they started restricting entrance unless you had a runner's number.

That blew, particularly when your plans involved meeting non-runners after the race.

If I were you guys, I'd check the BtoB website on this. I will not be going this year.

10. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Here's a link that posts information including special samtrans buses as well...

http://www.samtrans.com/news_2005_bay_to_breakers.html

11. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cool. Thanks guys. I'm trying to arrange a place for my wife to come meet me, we're going to go have lunch in the Mission after the BtoB. (She is refusing to come to the BtoB with me, something about going to church instead.) Looks like I can get a MUNI bus back downtown and then take BART to the 16th/Mission station by the restaurant.

12. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Who's the Club Quake Chaplain anyway? God know the Epicenter doesn't have one!!! (Epicenter: We're the drunken stepchild of Club Quake. I'm with Ruben)

13. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    We'll be taking the Caltrain up from Los Altos and will have to get ourselves back to the Caltrain station somehow after the event.

14. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd rather take BART on the basis that they have trains running every 20 minutes from Millbrae--in fact trying to take it directly from the airport.

Busy day since I'll be heading to a birthday party afterwards (at 7:00 pm at the bowling alley south of SF)... (enough on that topic... :p )

You can either opt to take Caltrain all the way to the baseball grounds and then walk/take the N-Judah MUNI light rail, or to Millbrae, and transfer directly to the BART platform, where you can get off directly at the Embarcadero.

15. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll volunteer if you'd like. Which religions would you prefer?

16. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I figure I better cut down a bit on the stuff, plus I have to be at the airport in the morning anyway to pick someone up. Since the BART station is there anyway, I can meet up with you guys--now I have to find a way back... :D

Anyone follow the one led by Benedict XVI? :D All would be good to cover our bases... :p

----
    Just to be sure I like to know what the plan is when we meet--we have to unfurl the flag, and if we do plan to parade it around we better have some water in addition to the beer. Also who to spot if anyone doesn't know anyone here already.

I'm already picturing a group of people carrying the BAQF like they do at the Olympics except much larger! Cheers!

17. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There's no way we'll get that far. I know there's no way I'll get that far.

18. Noah Dahl

Noah Dahl New Member

Nov 1, 2001
    Pottersville
    C'mon - there's a luau at the beach and the Mermen are playing!

Plus, the panhandle and park is the best part: a scenic, spacious, downhill home-stretch.

19. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It has to be said...

naked runners...

Good to know that we just have to unfurl the flag... If that gets on the telly...

20. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    Nekkid you say? Heh.

The B2B website says that Footstock is entirely open to the public.

Is there anyone else taking the morning Caltrain up who we should look for to start the party early? Or at least keep each other awake?

21. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I'll be taking it from Belmont and I think a few others have posted that they will be taking caltrain as well. I was just going to look for others wearing their Earthquakes Blue ...

22. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm gonna try and get there around (ugh) 7:30 am or so to lay out the law of the land, see how tight security is (since we are technically crashing the party) and to pick a good meeting point.

23. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hell, I already went there on the first page of this thread.
    I actually do know someone (not in our group, repeat, not in our group) who's doing the nekkid thing.

Okay, it's April. :)
    (lets see if this gets back to her...heh, heh, if she hits me at the tailgate on Saturday we'll know)

24. mitquinn

mitquinn Member

Oct 17, 2003

I don't know your concern about security, but if you're worried about being in the street without being registered, no worries, mahn.

It's not just the naked runners that have no number on, but thousands of the clothed as well.

Have fun!

25. Hawkeye17

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to pretend that I didn't see, or hear a thing...

Anyone who does--on your own, unless you want the shirt or scarf off my back... :p

and if so, might be smart to keep the shirt and slacks on... please?!?

-----
    In any case, be good to get a final count to see how many people we will have to crash Uncle Phil's party and unfurl the flag--that's much better than ditching the wear.