Quakes Centipede in the Bay to Breakers

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by Openthegate, Nov 22, 2004.

1. 1Bri Fanatic333

1Bri Fanatic333 New Member

Jul 12, 2000
    Go to any craft store, and buy some foam, a hot glue gun, some glue for it, and some spray paint. They make foam in all kinds of shapes....you can buy 2 square ones, and 1 round one. Take a regular kitchen knife, and cut the square one to the shape of the base of the trophy, then take the other square one (it might have to be a rectangular cube, actually), and use the knife to shape it as the neck of the trophy, then get the ball, use the eraser end of a pencil, and make the markings so it looks like a soccer ball. Use the glue gun to piece it together, and spray paint the whole thing silver.....TA DA!!! :D

Slight warning.....you should do it outside, because foam shavings get MESSY! ;)

2. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    I'd suggest a papier-mache approach over this. Namely, make a frame out of wire mesh, and coat in in papier-mache, and then paint it all silver. It would end up looking a lot more solid than something out of foam (also, if you go with the foam thing, some spraypaints seems to dissolve foam, or maybe I just suck at spraypainting foam, but yeah...). Also, you can make the shape out of foam and cover it in papier mache. Yup. Lots of ways--be creative.

3. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I wish I could be there for this!!! :(

Good luck everyone and have tons of fun!

4. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey wait! It's not until May?! I could make that work most likely! And I'll wear my Quakie colored Nikes! :p

5. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's Sunday May 15, 2005. Depends too if there is a home game that weekend but we won't know for another several weeks or so. After that, plan accordingly.

6. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    Yes, that would work, too.......I just never seem to get the outcome I had invisioned when it comes to paper mache.....

7. bluejaded

bluejaded New Member

Jan 26, 2004
    Really? I have that problem with foam...hmm

8. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    HAHA! Figures, huh? See, I think like a teacher....(being as I am going to school to become a teacher...duh!).....and paper mache, with 25 1st grade children in one small classroom, and the bathroom on the other side of the playground.....no paper mache for me, thanks! :D
    Plus, if you get it on the ground or table, no matter what surface it is, other than news-paper, it stains, and stays, forever.....
    It smells funny, too......... ;)

9. TyffaneeSue

TyffaneeSue moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 15, 2003
    Upstairs
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I took an art class that required a papier mache project--I made a pig (I don't think it started off as a pig but that's what it most closely resembled at the end) and painted it. Bugs eventually devoured most of it (and then my mother threw it out).

Now, though, you can buy artificial papier mache "just add water" and presumably that is more aesthetically pleasing than the old flour-y kind.

I also had a brief encounter with styrofoam. It's really easy to shape (MUCH easier than p.m.) and if you coat it with plaster, you can decorate it however you want. Also, it's very light (as long as you don't overdo the plaster) and if you're planning to walk/run with it for 7 miles, every ounce counts.

That's my opinion, and now my disclaimer, which is that I have absolutely no artistic talent whatsoever, but I know bad art when I see it.

10. The Wee Man

The Wee Man New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    San Jose
    I know a newspaper that really stinks:)

11. 1Bri Fanatic333

Jul 12, 2000
    God, I love you Johnny! :D

12. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Alright, the Centipede thread is alive again. The schedule is out so we know we don't have a game that day but unfortunately we have a home game the night before. This presents a problem to those of us who need a little extra rest after a home game. Tough!!!

The first order of business is setting up a meeting to get our ideas out in the open and come up with a game plan of what our centipede will do and look like besides taking BAQF (Big Ass Quakes Flag) down the streets of San Francisco. No! We will not be running the race.
    I"m thinking of setting up a meeting next week February 22nd or the 24th during the evening probably at the downtown Brit. Let me know your preference.
    OTG

13. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The 22nd is when GolTV comes onto DirecTV, I'll be busy. :)

Either night works for me. Although the earlier (6 or 7:00), the better.

14. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    OK The Meeting is Next Thursday, February 24, 2005 at the Almaden Brit.

5027 Almaden Expressway,

San Jose, CA, 95118

Tel : (408) 266-0550
    @ 7:00 pm

I've been trying to get a hold of Club Quake and SSV to help me publicize this but I'm getting no response. Those of you who know them please get the word out. The more the better.

15. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    We need Casbah drummers in the centipede.

16. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Preferably with smaller drums. :)

17. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bump. Please tell me that more folks are showing up tonight other than me, you, and Ruben. :)

18. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can't make it tonight due to an inconviently rescheduled meeting, but my wife and I are planning on participating in the Bay to Breakers in whatever form the Quake fan participation takes.

19. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    I know Michelle should have e-mailed all the Club Quake members about this. She told me she woudl if I asked her to. Did you not get an e-mail? We're kinda screwed if you didn't. I'm not expecting a huge turnout tonight. If we can get people such as Bill Reeves who will bring their family along this is a realistic goal. Is Nap going? I e-mailed him and he didn't respond.
    Do you think we can get the word out more effectively at the first game?

20. Albany58

Albany58 Member+

Sep 14, 1999
    Concord, CA USA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I definitely want to run the Bay-to-Breakers with all of you, but I don't think I will be able to make this meeting because of a sudden job (all of my jobs are sudden). I haven't received the email you're talking about, though.

21. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Hmmm. And you're a club Quake Member right?

22. ggayle

ggayle Member

May 4, 1999
    Oaktown, CA, USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I know, I'm not aware of a Club Quake e-mail either. If you end up postponing the meeting let me know via e-mail by 4pm. BigSoccer has been rather buggy for me today, and the Almaden Brit is a bit of a haul for me to go to just eat. :)

If we postpone, I'll forward the info to the Casbah webmaster and he can send out the info for the new time.

23. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    I think I might just do that. It seems like no one got the e-mail. And the Almaden Brit's too far for me too knowing that just a few people will show up. I'll definitely let you know by 4 if I cancel.

24. sangreazul

sangreazul Member

Nov 17, 2003
    Belmont, CA
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    I am also Club Quake (logged in to the website to make sure :) ) and as of early this morning hadn't received an e-mail. Being that I work in San Francisco and get out late, there is no way I could get to the Brit by 7:00 ... I'm still ready to help out and participate though ...

25. Openthegate

Openthegate Member

Nov 29, 2003
    Fremont CA
    Meeting canceled! Let anyone planning to attend know it's canceled.