QPR v. Brentford (D2 -- Matchday 17) [R]

Discussion in 'Queens Park Rangers' started by Atouk, Nov 10, 2003.

1. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    3. QPR - 16 GP, 7-7-2, +14, 28 Points
    15. Brentford - 16 GP, 7-2-7, -4, 23 Points
    ------
    11 November, 19:45
    Loftus Road
    ------

Rangers News

Padula and Edghill should be available. Rowlands and Bircham considered "more likely than not" to be available, but will face fitness tests.

Furlong, Shittu, and Rose are still out, but Shittu is due to play in a reserve team match this week.

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~449492,00.html

The Opponent

This match was scheduled for October 11th, but was postponed because Brentford had three players called up to various youth international matches.

http://www.brentfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10421~431062,00.html

Brentford started the season in poor form, losing 4 of their first 5 league matches. By the time of the Oct. 11th match, they'd begun to right the ship, with 3 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss in their last six. Since then, in league play, they have 3 wins (including a 4-0 home win over Brighton) and 1 loss, so they're in good form.

Most recently they defeated Gainsborough in the first round of the FA Cup.

Brentford has sold 1,600 of their 2,900 allocation and the match is not all-ticket, so they may get some more walkups.

http://www.brentfordfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10421~447683,00.html

The Series

This is a very even series over time, with Rangers winning 20, Brentford winning 21, and 22 draws.

However, the clubs hadn't been on the same level of late, with the four meetings in the two years that Rangers have been in Division 2 being the only meetings between the teams since the 1965/66 season.

Those four meetings ended with one QPR victory and three draws (two were 0-0).

The clubs first met in the 1920/21 season.

The Referee

Roy Pearson will control the proceedings. He has issued 47 yellows and 1 red in 15 matches this season (4 D1, 3 D2, 4 D3, 1 LC, 1 FAC, 2 LDV). He hasn't worked a QPR match since working two road draws (at Stockport, at Sheffield United) in the First Division in 99/00.

2. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just watched the match preview on QPR World. Prav says:
    -- Padula, Edghill, and Barton are back and ready to play
    -- Bircham, Sabin, and Rowlands are "doubtful"
    -- Rose was due to play in the reserve match this week, but now has to take a step back and have another scan
    -- Shittu will play for a "half an hour or so" in the reserve match
    -- Furlong did some running and kicking today and did "really well"

3. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    QPR 1:0 Brentford
    Full time

Tony Thorpe scored late in the first half for Rangers. We move into second with the win:

1. Plymouth Argyle -- +18, 31 Points
    2. Queens Park Rangers -- +15, 31 Points

...and on Saturday? QPR vs. Plymouth at Loftus Road. Matches don't get much bigger in November. Come on, you R's!

4. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    We were fabulous tonight. Just got back in and will give more of a report tomorrow.

Excellent winning performance. Not perfect, but thoroughly effective. The kind of night that instills more confidence about promotion.

UUUURRRRRRRRRRRRR'ssss

5. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Promotions are won on the backs of grind-it-out wins at home.

Beautiful.

6. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Hey Kevin, would it be possible to post some pictures this year from some of the games you attend? I would love to see some pics.

7. QPR Kevin H

QPR Kevin H BigSoccer Supporter

May 23, 2001
    Silver Spring, MD
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Dog - I've been lazy bringing the digi camera so far, but I will do either this week or for the Sheff Wednesday match. Can see some emailed QPR photos here as well - http://qpr.textamerica.com/. Will try to get some in game shots soon - my friend next to me has a picture phone and we can post to the site above during the match.

Now more thoughts on last night and the general good feeling aroung the Bush afterwards. As I said, it was a spirited, effective display from Rangers. You've probably read a report or two so I'll just share some things that impressed

- We played football as often as possible. More decent passing from defenders. Midfield (especially Bean) won and moved the ball well.

- McLeod was terrific. So lively, as a winger should be. Sure he could have taken a bit more care with his finishing and tried aim a couple in. But he went for the cavalier attempts - no problems with that. Created oppurtunities with his pace. Crossed well and even won a bunch of balls in the air.

- Marcus Bean did very well last night. Never stopped chasing, but had no problems with fitness late on. I really enjoyed watching Marcus play - he was thoroughly commited and showed our overall improved commitment.

- Martin Rowlands, man of the match for many (along with McLeod) and boy was he up for playing his old club. Nothing (especially Brentford players) was going to get in his way from impressing. I still thing he's the best midfield player, and possibly best overall player in the division.

- Tony Thorpe - play football behind him and he'll influence the match up front. Thats what I've been saying for weeks - and I know its true. We DO NOT have a striker shortage. We've had an injury crisis which has taken us away from a style we need to play. When the pieces are in place in defence and mf - Thorpe and Furlong will score consistently.

- Marc Bircham - definately not at his best. Seems he just can't get the pace of the match perfectly. Challenges a bit off as is his control. He's just not the world's most skilled player - but its hard to leave him out when he puts in so much effort - and clearly does love the club so much.

I think thats about it. Was so nice to see and (nearly) full-strength team play in front of a (nearly) full-house. We can get better too - would be nice if we're even better this weekend and we go top!

8. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent report, Kev. Thanks and keep 'em coming.

Also, FYI, I'll be over for QPR/Sheffield Wednesday (my parents will be attending just their second soccer match, the first being the stunning 0:0 DC/Chicago draw at RFK last April!). We'll be in the Lower Loft (same seats I had against Chesterfield -- other side of the goal from yours).

And, Kev, get yourself a train ticket for 12/8 -- the LDV Area Q'final against Brighton has been moved to a Sunday!

http://www.qpr.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10373~451209,00.html

9. Atouk

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Make that 7 December (not 8!). Should be a good match. Hopefully moving it to the weekend and having a good opponent will make this LDV round approach normal matchday atmos.

10. doolittledog2

doolittledog2 Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Iowa
    Thanks Kevin for the updates and I am looking forward to seeing some pictures...to think 10 years ago fox sports chicago and soccer america once per week were my only sources for information and now I could be potentially looking at pictures on my computer while the game is being played...