QF July 6 France v. Uruguay [R]

Discussion in 'World Cup 2018 - Knockout Rounds' started by mwjppgg, Jul 4, 2018.

1. Steve Page

Steve Page Member

Oct 30, 2013
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    We're having great fun with the It's Coming Home stuff. Not sure they're going to be able to come up with new material if we're still in it this time tomorrow.

Just change the language and the numbers of letters will change.

I know what it is like when you're team misses out on a World Cup. Had to support Ireland in 1994.

I'll get onto the Queen and tell her to get the sword out and make my "sir" title official.

2. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Well, to be honest, that’s a fairly strong excuse

Guinho repped this.
  3. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    They barely had many shots on target. Only the goals. They had possession but barely did anything with it. Just like Spain vs Russia. First goal was a great header but off of a free kick. Second goal was a mistake by Mulsera. Other than that maybe only one shot on target that I can remember.

4. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Uruguay have proven themselves to be extremely solid defensively, perhaps the best in the tournament, so before today’s match everybody was wondering if France could break them down at all. Now France win 2-0 and people are complaining that they didn’t create 57 chances. The French just can’t win, can they ? Lol

5. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Well there u go

6. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    per ESPN, FWIW

France shots on goal: 2
    Uruguay: 4

Having zero saves is not helpful.

Pipiolo repped this.
  7. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  8. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
  9. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Member+

May 23, 2018
    No what I am trying to say is that France has won many games without actually playing well. I mean yes they probably deserved the win for most of them, but really has their play actually been convincing to you? Be honest with me. Many teams have won World Cups with this kind of play, but you just wonder if France can actually step up play when they face strong teams.

In my opinion, their attack looked great against Argentina, but the Argentine defense looked like in shambles. I honestly feel like the French have been very lucky with the teams they faced and easy draws in the group stages. I wouldn't be surprised if they do manage to win the WC, but I believe that luck has been a big factor. Well every team who wins the WC has some luck on their side.

Tukafo repped this.
  10. prodigal_mind

prodigal_mind Member+

Cristiano Ronaldo
    Portugal
    Jul 3, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Was a pretty shameful performance from Uruguay this match. Created no chances except for one set piece in the first half. In all honesty they weren't much better against Portugal, it just so happened they took the only two chances they had in that match. I didnt quite understand the hype and why everyone proclaimed that performance to be a "masterpiece".

On another note France wasn't much better. It was one of the worst games of the tournament and France themselves created next to nothing. Their sole goals coming from a set piece and goalkeeping error. I dont see Brazil having any issues with the France side

11. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I heard in Russia they can seed the clouds with their planes so the matches from now on will be clear skies.

12. Buffonfan

Buffonfan Member

Jun 26, 2018
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
  13. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    But only six or seven European nations were dominant during that era: Germany, Italy, Netherlands, France, Poland, USSR and arguably Spain. The rest didn't do any better overall than teams such as Uruguay, Paraguay and Peru from Conmebol, or Mexico from Concacaf.

Tukafo repped this.
  14. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Montreal still has a hockey team?

15. tudobem62014

tudobem62014 Member+

Feb 26, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    I agree in 2018 there is no longer the large skill gap between teams. Everyone has video and can watch the other teams tendencies etc...

Its like UFC. Royce Gracie was only unbeatable for 5 ufc’s. By the third and fourth he was vulnerable and no longer wanted to fight nhb. Became even more vulnerable fighting against a Japanese Kazushi Sakuraba in his home country. Time brings balance people have studied and caught up. Its like the olympics now. The only real advantage is home advantage.

16. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Member+

Aug 18, 2004
    Nat'l Team:
    Iran
    The reason I felt Uruguay had done well in the first half was because they did look more dangerous than France, despite the possession advantage France enjoyed.

In the 2nd half, once it was 2:0, possession even without any chances (France had a couple) for either side is enough mean the side trailing is being outclassed. A side that is trailing should not only be able to better challenge possession, but certainly create at least moments it looks like it can get back into the game. Uruguay didn't do that.

Well deserved win for France for sure. Not that France are as awe inspiring as being suggested here. None of the teams in this tournament have looked invincible but France certainly are among the top 3 that is still in contention for the title.

BGADK repped this.
  17. Tukafo

Tukafo Member+

Oct 12, 2013
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    True. Of course I didn’t mean the entire European continent.

Pipiolo repped this.
  18. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Effing World Cup is a funny thing. Uruguay had a 4 game winning streak, lose and everyone is sad. Yet, England in the midst of a two-game winless streak and the country is esctatic.

kennytt repped this.
  19. Pipiolo

Pipiolo Member+

Jul 19, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    No creativity for Uruguay without Cavani. Only until Rodriguez came in did they show some bit of incisiveness into the French area.

20. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Good luck with that... not many ARG+URU fans rooting for BRA at this time.

kennytt repped this.
  21. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    That is because "Everyone" > "one country".

I was worried Uruguay would resort to dirty football at the 2nd half. Almost did after the 2nd French goal.

Glad no player will be missing any matches after this.

I would love to hear what Maradona has to say about Pitana's work.

22. cleansheetbsc

cleansheetbsc Member+

Mar 17, 2004
    Club:
    --other--
    Those are David DeGea-like numbers

Philip J. Fry and kennytt repped this.
  23. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    [​IMG]

NewLaw83 and kennytt repped this.
  24. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    lol

25. legendofzola

legendofzola Member

Jun 4, 2006
    Cape Breton
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    It might be kind to call it a hockey team but there is a group of 20 players that wear blue, red and white there.

cleansheetbsc repped this.