QF 9/23 Norway vs. China [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by nsa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A match-up that has seen some epic battles in women's world cup history.

But not this time.

China didn't dominate New Zealand. Norway should roll to the semifinals.

2. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Quarterfinal #1 [R]

Thread title changed to protect this morning's results. I'll change it back tomorrow, but let's at least give 24 hours for people to view any taped matches. Thanks.

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

Isn't Quarterfinal #1 Germany-PRK?

4. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

*sigh*

I had to change the original thread titles quickly this morning while at work so that we didn't give away this morning's results. Title changed... again. And... it'll change again tomorrow with team names.

Thanks.

5. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Remember that beatdown China gave Norway back in '99? Look for the Vikingnesses to return the favor and make chicken chow mein out of the "Foil Roses"(that team is anything but Steel)

If u think Brazil gave China a beating....Norway is gonna make things look ugly on Sunday!!

6. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I'm picking Norway to whup China 4-1 tomorrow!!

7. NoNonsense

NoNonsense New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami

On contraire, China completely dominated New Zeland, they just didn't score many goals, same thing Norway did with Canada, btw, so why a different conclusion?

Scandinavia has been rather forgetable this WWC, I like it that way. It would be great to have a Germany-China semifinals, keeping the host nation involved in the tournament.

8. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    It would be nice, but I don't see it happening it.

3-1 Norway.

9. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    No picks for me ... The only time I predicted a match this WWC, it was wrong. Way wrong.

Fingers crossed Norway can A.) get their damn defense in order and B.) Find Rags in the box throughout the match.

10. Nillan

Nillan New Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Lund Sweden
    Club:
    LdB FC Malmö
    Nat'l Team:
    Sweden
    Norway should have no problem to walk all over China.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    The important thing about this match is the color the uniforms. Red team loses...

12. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Neither of these teams are any good. This isn't fun.

13. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    The Chinese keep misreading their passes. It's as if they didn't expect the Norwegians to run so fast. Silly mistake by Wang, goal for Norway and I think this game is over.

14. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    One hour after that goal by Herlovsen and it's still 1-0 to Norway. The Chinese have looked very tired since the mid of the second half.

European teams have even more of a physical edge in the women's game. Not a great game, Norway has done what they needed to do, the Chinese players look exhausted and just now their keeper Zhang saved them from the 2-0.

Desperation is translating into a lot of pushing, too.

15. hasselhoff

hasselhoff Member

Mar 22, 2005
    I enjoyed this one. Norway, as usual, was very well organized and China rarely threatened. Germany seems to be the better team heading into the semifinal but a Norway upset is definitely possible.

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I expected more discussion. I needed the sleep so I'll watch this one tonight. Good for Herlovsen and Norway.

Bring on Germany.

17. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I heard what sounded like a referee's whistle right before the goal (enough so that I initially start fast-forwarding). I got the impression that the Chinese defenders (and the other Norway forward) let up a bit at that point. Shame to have something like that affect a critical result like this.

18. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Sorry, I had Internet connecton problems. Thanks Comcast!

19. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn it was much closer than I expected!! China's main problem was that when its players got to Norway's box they kept on passing....it was like THEY WERE AFRAID TO PULL THE TRIGGER!!!

Well this was a learning lesson for them and they have the Olympics next year.....maybe instead of a foreign coach or their next coach should be either Sun Wen or Gao Hong who knows what it's like to play in big matches and give the extra motivation they so surely need!! :)

20. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If China didn't make a stupid mistake and give up that first goal then it could've gone to penalties and who knows what would've happened.

That was a great atmosphere at that stadium in China. There were noisy and had loud chants. What were some of those chants saying?

21. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Morning, y'all. :D

My take on the game:

* I distinctly heard a whistle right before the goal. I even let out a huge sigh because I knew they had called offside. And then when Herlovsen scored, I was like 'huh?' Even she slowed just a bit before she fired her shot.

* I <3 Bente Nordby. Seriously. I'd have her children. And did you notice that Tony D. was a little less hostile about her playing in this WWC than in the other match he called? He didn't seem quite so snotty about it. None of her saves were magnificent, but I give her mad love for making 7 saves in the first half and not letting her defense and China's attack catch her off-guard.

* Norway found their offense against Ghana (but who couldn't?) and they finally showed they could defend like hell in this game. But my question is this: Can they find an equal balance of the two for Germany?

* Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't China's coach (I think she coached in either the Swedish or Norwegian leagues before) somewhat new? From what Tony was saying during the game, the Chinese players have been trained to death by former coaches and were still recovering. I'm assuming with another year or two, she could get China back to where they need to be. Even with a Gao Hong or a Sun Wen, China would still be in the same boat as before. The Chinese guv-munt tends to train the ever-living hell out of all of their Olympic/professional athletes -- and not in a good way. By having a foreign coach come in, I would assume they'd have less of a stranglehold on the coaching and fitness regimens.

And truth be told, the China players looked hella tired. No one showed any real emotion from their team and they did have a somewhat drone look. It's like they have no personality. (As was apparently mentioned by Gao Hong in a pre-game interview, according to Tony.)

It wasn't a pretty game at all. And now I feel bad for going to bed before the Aus-Brz match. But Norway got the job done. Here's hoping they can do it twice more.

22. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    I thought the exact same thing, rewound it to make sure (flag was never up). I hope that didn't affect the play, will be interesting to see if it shows up in post-game comments.

23. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I haven't heard a commentator say a word about it, but then when you get old one of the things that goes is hearing high frequencies. ;)

Maybe it was the Denmark coach getting his revenge.

24. Bonnie Lass

Bonnie Lass Moderator
    Staff Member

Lyon
    Norway
    Oct 20, 2000
    Up top
    Club:
    Olympique Lyonnais
    Again, I'm there with y'all. I heard a whistle. Maybe someone in the stands? And unfortunately, I do think that's why the defender slowed when she did. And IIRC, no one said anything about it in the booth.

And did they bother to interview anyone from the game during Rob Stone and Mitts little hour-long show? As soon as they mentioned they'd have college FB highlights, I went to bed. Because honestly, if they'd spend at least a little time interviewing some players (other than the U.S.) it would definately shed some light on the way the game unfolded.

I realize this is being broadcast in the U.S., but would it kill them to do a couple of post-match interviews? Especially if they have an hour to kill?

25. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I was thinking exactly the same thing.:p