QF 9/23 Brazil vs. Australia [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by nsa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Marta off the crossbar

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Nearly a PK for the Aussies... gotta love the world feed

3. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I can't believe there was no replay of that non-foul in the box

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    2 min stoppage

5. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Nice free kick by Australia playing to a player outside the box to cross it in instead of sending it into the box... Brazil looked offsides on that last break... We're past 2 min
    This match is over Brazil wins 3-2

6. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Australia was robbed by incompetent german referee. Once again a poorly chosen official decides the winner of a game. Pitiful.

7. htide

htide Member

Jul 28, 2007
    Australia should be proud of themselves for sticking with brazil. More then anything out of this world cup, I think the improvement in many teams like the aussis, england, china, etc is great for the game.

8. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Full props to Australia. It wouldn't surprise me if Brazil wins it all and this ends up being their toughest match. Great game!

9. SCoach

SCoach New Member

Jun 17, 2002
    Tallahassee, FL
    I don't know that I'd go that far. Australia was very good, but even a casual observer of this game could say the better team won. The Aussies certainly had some calls not go their way, and maybe Brazil got some breaks, but the Aussies had their chances and missed them. Brazil's winning goal was pure class.

10. StarCityFan

StarCityFan BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 2, 2001
    Greenbelt, MD
    Club:
    Washington Freedom
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looked at it again (instead of enduring another miserable Nike ad) - there were other defenders back, so I don't think it should have been a red card.

11. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After watching the "no-call" again, I do think the Aussie's have a case for a penalty - but it's tough without a better camera angle.

12. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    usa2mex0ftyetagain :)

13. usa3por2ft

usa3por2ft Member

Oct 15, 2002
    in exile
    Club:
    Millwall FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think the other defenders were in position to stop a shot.

14. BlitzSpiele

BlitzSpiele Member

Sep 7, 2007
    I think it was a pure penalty. While the Brazilian got the ball she had to upend Munoz to do it while she was facing the goal readying to shoot. The referee sealed her fate of incompetence by calling the Australian for the foul when Brazil cleared the ball. It looked like a really hard (but fair side-to-side challenge). This lack of a call really did influence the outcome of this game. Hopefully this referee and Palmquvist can carpool back to Europe now.

15. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current referee instruction is to consider the continuation of the foul. While initial contact may have been outside the area, continued foul contact as the players enter the area must be considered when deciding FK versus PK to encourage attacking play.

16. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Wow Wow Wow!!! What a day and what a game!! :) Out of my 4 predicts I'm so glad this one didn't come true!! :) On my Granny's 80th birthday today my team won!!!

Ok let me start Formiga with her lame performances in the group games did herself justice today not just by scoring but by running all over the pitch!! Renata gave Luizao a run for his money for that dive in the pk box for the 2nd goal!!

I gotta say this was the best game of the WWC so far and it took me back to WC'94's QF with Brazil-Holland...Brazil giving up a 2-0 lead only for us to win with a late strike to win 3-2 now only if the storybook can continue to next Sunday!! I'd give my left arm(and I'm left handed) to see Marta in the 81st minute leap over Rampone and Whitehill to head the winner past Solo to take us to the final this Thursday!! :D

17. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Re: Brazilian Thanksgiving

While most of what u said is true and while Brazil has not won the WWC yet....let me give some food for thought!!

Every team that has won a WC whether womens or mens no matter how much skill they had...........THEY'VE ALWAYS BEEN HELPED BY A LITTLE LUCK ALONG THE WAY!!! :)

18. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Am not disputing what you said. I am interested in knowing the source of this referee instruction about the continuation of the foul.

19. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    Definitely best match of the quarterfinals - but Brazilian fans can't complain about biased reffing anymore. The PK contact was definitely outside the box, there was no foul leading to the free kick that Marta put off the bar, and the non-call on Walsh (to be fair, it was impossible to tell from the lone camera angle we were given whether the defender got the ball first as she shielded it from the camera the entire way).

Fabulous game-winner from Christiane. I also like that Brazil never tried to kill the game by taking the ball to the corner. This match will help them against the US, they really hadn't been battle-tested up to this point.

And Australia is for real. They're not top-5 yet, but it's definitely the best Australia team I've seen. Shame they won't be in the Olympics.

And who was the a$$hole Brazilian fan who tried covering an Australian flag DURING THE AUSTRALIAN ANTHEM? No class whatsoever.

20. GKbenji

GKbenji Member+

Jan 24, 2003
    Fort Collins CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone besides me notice that the free kick for that one appeared to be INdirect? The ref put her arm up in the air as it was being taken. The call was likely for dangerous play given the player on the ground on top of the ball. Had it gone in without anyone else touching it, it wouldn't have counted anyway.

21. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Just to let you know that the girls are starting to get the country interested in womens football as well down here. One of the minor tv channels was showing the games live to air, and they got almost 500,000 viewers for a few games, which is unheard of numbers for womens soccer.

With regards to the game, no-one can deny that Brazil had more flair and skill, but our girls had heart and although it almost got them there, it still wasnt good enough.

The way Brazil held onto possesion with the ball is something our girls need to learn, we were over reliant on the long ball and trying to use the pace of our strikers, which was negated by the Brazillian's own speed.

However, congrats to the girls for getting close, and I'm sure they have surprised a few people around the world and have helped raise the profile of their sport back home.

There's even talk of getting a league started up again, which would be great, as most of the girls are part timers who work 2 or 3 other jobs to support their love of the game, and play only semi-regularly.

Its all looking good. :)

22. CAFAN

CAFAN Member

May 30, 2003
    Proof that you suck and blow at the same time.

23. DCUPopeAndLillyFan

Apr 20, 2000
    Colorado
    One other thing to add - Australia came from behind no fewer than four times in this world cup (including once from two goals down) - has any women's team ever come from behind that many times in one cup?

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I dont know if thats something to be that proud of! I'd prefer to get a lead and keep it :D

But that being said, it is a good trait to have if you do fall behind. ;)

25. secretcode

secretcode New Member

Apr 12, 2004
    USA
    We also watched in horror as the ref blew this very, very obvious foul. The tackle from behind should have been cause for a free or PK. Also, this same ref-on-crack called a foul on an Aussie player who was being held down by Elaine (?) a few minutes before, and I believe she blew a Sweden match.

I hate to see a game won this way. FIFA should be be concerned with finding the best refs, not just the best female refs.