QF 9/23 Brazil vs. Australia [R]

Discussion in 'Women's World Cup' started by nsa, Sep 20, 2007.

1. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sunday morning.

I don't think that Australia can contain the Brasilian speed, especially with only two days of rest.

2. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Quarterfinal #2 [R]

Thread title changed to protect this morning's results. I'll change it back tomorrow, but let's at least give 24 hours for people to view any taped matches. Thanks.

3. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I don't know if brazil have as much explosiveness (i don't mean the kind caused by their hotel food) left in them either. So it could be a very good game. These australians are real battlers. Good luck to both teams

4. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia

Isn't Quarterfinal #2 USA-England?

5. Crimson Ace

Crimson Ace Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 4, 2003
    McKinney, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

As posted in another QF thread...

I had to change the original thread titles quickly this morning while at work so that we didn't give away this morning's results. Title changed... again. And... it'll change again tomorrow with team names.

Thanks.

6. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    East Orange, New Jersey, USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

I love and support Brazil, and like I said there's an upset in every tourney........Well this will be it I'm sad to say!!

Australia 2-1 over Brazil!! :(

7. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California

That is suprising to hear a supporter say! I'd like to hear your reasoning on that. It'll be a great match up, for sure, and I'd love to see a few more games by the Aussies, especially as they won't be in the Olympics.

8. NoNonsense

NoNonsense New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami

Wasn't Brazil just starting to play by the time Australia were already resting in their hotel?

9. NoNonsense

NoNonsense New Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Miami

Well, unless I am cofusing you with somebody else, you have predicted Brazil's demise for every game. So far, Brazil, 9 points out of 9; 10 goal in favor, 0 goals against.

If you keep guessing against Brazil, can you be right one day? I guess. But, I don't think Australians have the defensive tactical organization to withstand Brazil.

Australia may score the first goal against Brazil in this tournament, but I don't think it's going to be close.

10. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know, if Australia had Erin McLeod, the hottest goalie in the tournament, I might go for the big upset here. I like Barbieri, but I think it's going to take some McLeod-like heroics to keep Australia in the game here.

Australia has played some very nice soccer against some formidable teams, Norway and Canada, and gotten very good offensive flow against both of them. Lisa daVanna has been absolutely spectacular coming off the bench, without question the most dangerous substitution in the tournament. Australia has also rotated its players - in addition to daVanna coming in as a second half sub, Coach Sermanni started 6 different players from one game to the next.

If Norway couldn't disrupt Australia's offensive flow in the second half, I see no reason Brazil will be able to completely shut them down either. Australia will get their chances.

It's just that we know Brazil will too, and they are deadly at finishing them. Put the hot goalie in the Cup (Erin McLeod) on Australia's side and you have a huge upset in the making: a 2-2 or 3-3 game with Australia advancing on PKs.

11. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    I would like to see an upset for a change. But realistically if Brasil gets up in the morning with the right foot I think they will destroy Australia and come out with a clean sheet.

12. Chargefan

Chargefan New Member

Oct 9, 2003
    KOP
    Hey, she is available, her team is done.... sorry, but Brazil has the Hottest keeper, McLeod is very plain looking...

How can she be hot if she let in a goal or 2 ?

Andreia so far is the GK of the WWC

13. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil

Why is it so surprising?? Yes I love and support all Brazil teams from the mens and womens to the beach and futsal and I'm an OBJECTIVE and not a blind fan so when somethings wrong and I feel that we wont win I'm gonna say it!!

Andreia hasn't been tested much so far and though she's lightyears better than Maravilha ever was I wouldn't put her on the level with Scurry or even Hope Solo!!

Brazil was spectacular v a weak Kiwi and "Foil Roses" team but had a huge run for our money v the Great Danes and if the Aussies are organized in defense and is able to close us out in midfield then it's gonna be a long night for Marta and co.!!

14. Hachiko

Hachiko The Akita on Big Soccer

Jun 8, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Fearless Prediction:

1-0 Australia. Off a penalty. Late in the game. In which one of the Matilda F/MF does a Fabio Grosso, and a Francesco Totti is pulled out.

15. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Both teams have only 2 days rest, no? Could be an ugly games b/c of tired legs--that might be to the Aussie's favor. So would wet weather, I'd think. Seremoni (sp?) has managed the games well. But, this is a big tourny and Brazil shows up for these. and they have Marta.

The head says Brazil will win but I wouldn't count the Aussies out, completely. As a USA fan, I'd like the game to go to overtime ;)

16. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watching the NZL-BRA match from round 1 so I can make room for tomorrow's games.

Brazil did not play well throughout that match. Brazil has gotten better with each game. Did they peak against China? Australia has to hope so.

17. jd6885

jd6885 Member

Jun 30, 2001
    Tacoma
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm thinking 2-1 Australia. The Matildas have very good players in Alagich, Salisbury, and Peters. Their players have a very high work rate and organize well. Even more, they believe in themselves, especially emerging from a very, very tough group. Both teams will come off just two days' rest, so we'll see if the three or so months the Brazilians have been preparing will be good enough to get them through this game. The Australians have been very good at closing out games, no doubt their fitness was key to this.

Australia needs to be strong in the center of the field. Daniela needs to be pressured so she can't supply Marta with good balls and also to limit her long shots on goal.

18. omajac

omajac Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Yep 2-1 is the right score the Matilda's will score 1st then Cristiane will tie it up and Australia will get the winner between the 85th min and stoppage time!!

19. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    McLeod's OK-looking in the cute girl-next-door sort of way. I like Andreia - always have. But does she win out over Melissa Barbieri....?! My, Barbieri looks good in that goalie outfit. Good thing she's a goalie, too, because even though I'm thrilled to see Australia do well, I just can't get crazy over yellow and green jerseys. It would be a shame to see her in those.

Hope Solo's not shabby either but of course there's no news there.

Rachel Brown is good-looking too, and as the saying goes, she cleans up nicely. She had such a good game against Germany, it's too bad about the botch on US 3rd goal.

[​IMG]

England in general had some good-lookers make the squad this year. Go to FIFA's WC page on England for a quick look. http://www.fifa.com/womenworldcup/teams/team=1883720/players/player=191176.html

As for their play, we shouldn't dismiss Andreia and Nadine Angerer. You're right - clean sheets through group play! But of course, though it's only an opinion, it's not that odd to call McLeod's performance the most impressive even though she gave up goals. The number and quality of saves in her games are obviously impressive. That doesn't speak that well for Team Canada, however, when your goalie stands out as your most impressive player when you lose.

20. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    It'll depend a lot on the referee. The Aussies are big and play strong, all those yellows are not for nothing. So if the ref allows for harsh play, I see them winning. On the other hand, if the ref is strict, then Brazil should win.

21. goalieanna

goalieanna New Member

Jul 30, 2006
    California
    The Brazilians aren't exactly known for their timid style of play. They are both physical teams.

Christine Beck of Germany is due to ref the match, and the last game she officiated (Sweden-North Korea) there were four yellows given out and 33 fouls called. Compared to the US-Eng game, which was called rather loosely, there were 17 fouls called.

Make of that what you will.

22. toepunt

toepunt Member

Aug 24, 2003
    North America
    Sometimes the fitness of the referee has a lot to do with fouls called or missed. Also whether the referee established her/his level of tolerance early in the game and also with the level of control maintained by the referee which includes talking to players. To some extent the degree of assistance provided by the ARs. It's complicated.

23. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    4': Formiga begins the Matilda nightmare. A shot from distance kisses the underside of the crossbar.

24. sregis

sregis Member

Nov 5, 1999
    Hoboken, USA
    pretty inexcusable goalkeeping, that. a major theme of the women's game, imo.

25. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    7': Australia loses a pass. Sermani begins to tear his hair out.