Qatar World Cup - Group C (and D) Preivew

Discussion in 'Group C - Argentina, Saudi Arabia, Mexico, Poland' started by golasoguy, Oct 21, 2022.

?

Who makes it out of this group?

1. Argentina

2. Mexico

3. Saudi Arabia

4. Poland

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. golasoguy

golasoguy New Member

Leon
    Mexico
    Oct 10, 2022
    Found this channel that's breaking down each group leading up to the start of the WC. They're doing two at a time so this is C and D - Enjoy!

2. UpTheFMDucks

UpTheFMDucks New Member

Aylesbury United
    England
    Jun 3, 2022
    My Group C Predictions so far, hopefully have Saudi Arabia up too soon

3. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

Houston Dynamo, Penang FC, Al Duhail
    United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ha ha think I'm the only one who has predicted Saudi Arabia to cause an upset ;)

Unlikely but we'll see....

kennytt and Brilliant Dutch repped this.
  4. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    As I mentioned in another thread, unfortunately the schedule doesn't favor them. If the Argentina game ends in a goleada, it's basically over for Saudi. Because I don't think Argentina is going to win to Mexico & Poland by more than 2 goals of difference each, maybe 3 but even so I find that unlikely.

Trying to catch up on points to other teams is a really difficult game, where only a really low percentage teams have made it.

5. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mexico losing in the round of 16 is set in stone, is guaranteed like the sun raising from the East.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  6. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm wondering if they could have a similar tournament in Russia, but with slightly better results. A heavy defeat against Argentina in their opening match, but if they can get an improved performance and perhaps a draw against Poland, that could set them up for a shock win against Mexico, a similar pattern as 2018. One thing to consider is that Saudi Arabia are the 3rd highest buyers of tickets. However, unlike Qatar and UAE, most of their ticket holders will be locals and passionately support their team, making Saudi kind of the unofficial 2nd-home team of this tournament. Also other Arab fans here could get behind them. I wound up getting Poland vs Saudi match which I'm quite keen on attending. Saudi Arabia don't travel well but at home they are always dangerous so I'm curious to see what the atmosphere will be like at their games....

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    One thing that can help Saudi Arabia is their fans coming in droves.

Usually Mexico and Argentina have good support in the stands but looking at the ticket sales it seems like the Saudis have done a better job this time arond.
    Mexicanos and Argentinos may feel like playing on the road against them which can make things a bit more interesting that initially thought of.

8. glennaldo_sf

glennaldo_sf Member+

United States
    Nov 25, 2004
    Doha, Qatar
    Club:
    FL Fart Vang Hedmark
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah Saudi and Tunisia in my opinion will be the true "home" teams in this World Cup...

9. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Even if there were 5k argentinians and 40k saudi arabians, you'd hear the argentinians cheering louder most of the game.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  10. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Not sure about that. But they may have more to cheer about so there's that factor.

11. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    #11 Xylophone, Nov 16, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2022
    If Saudi Arabia are ever going to advance from the group stage in the foreseeable future, it is in a World Cup held in the Middle East, with a two-time international tournament champion coach, in the same group as the lowest-rated Mexican side in a long time, and arguably the weakest qualified European team with a proneness to underachieve in tournaments. If you want the prediction bragging rights later, this is the time to "gamble" on them.

12. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    It won't be those numbers (cuz there will be more argentinians) but I'm pretty sure of that.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  13. Xylophone

Xylophone Member

Fiorentina
    Jan 30, 2018
    :whistling:

14. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I thought they would tie because of their fan support but actually win?

This Group just got crazy. Biggest upset in the modern game in my opinion.

15. Viking lord

Viking lord Member

Uruguay
    Aug 4, 2022
    Nat'l Team:
    Uruguay
    My couple of takes in this group:
    • Like most of you, the first game took me by surprise, I knew Saudi was going to be tough to break but didn't expect them to actually win. Cheers for the first big upset of the tournament.
    • Saudi Arabia looked like the team that I thought Iran would be.
    • Argentina looked really uncreative, especially in the second half.
    • I was actually entertained watching Mexico v Poland, but I don't think either of those teams are particularly good, I would give the slight edge to Mexico tho.

Will Argentina manage to come back in this group? Hard to say tbh, It depends on how mentally strong they are. This was the game they least expected to lose, so it has to be a massive shock for them.

Most Argentines have been mocking Mexico since the draw was made, and now Mexico has finally the golden opportunity to get revenge on Argentina for previous world cups...

Right now, I see a draw as the most likely scenario on Saturday, but it depends on which Argentina shows up. If they show uninspired like today, well I don't know what else to think. Don't really see Mexico winning this game, but weirder things have happened literally today

Latin American Twitter is going to have a field day on Saturday, whatever it happens.

16. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I am watching the replay on FOX in English in the USA and the commentator said the loudest the stadium was when Saudi Arabia scored.

(Just sayin')

17. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    Yeah no shit, it's the biggest emotion of their lives while for argentinian fans one of the most shocking events they witnessed.

18. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Yup
    So I guess that predication was way off.
    Who knew?

19. Philip J. Fry

Philip J. Fry Member+

Mexico
    Jun 12, 2013
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    If Ochoa keeps turning into Buffon like in every WC, then yeah, maybe a draw.

20. pipinogol

pipinogol Member+

May 20, 2016
    Club:
    Cary RailHawks U23
    I predict Argentina will play marginally better than the other day but not enough to put the game away early and end up taking some crappy sudden goal against the run of play due to a Paredes/De Paul mistake.

1-1 final result.

21. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Argentina will find a way to get three points against the Mexicanos.
    Lautaro will stay onside this game.

22. locoxriver

locoxriver Moderator
    Staff Member

May 22, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Argentina 2-1 Mexico

Di Maria and Julian Alvarez goals