Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    They actually did have a parade of nations at the first World Cup in 1930, and if they were going to do it again this would have been the year, with all the teams together in Doha. I'm not sure if the players would have wanted it. The Olympic athletes seem to love it, but they are generally younger than WC players, and for most of them it's their only chance for the folks back home to see them on TV. :thumbsup:

AlbertCamus, Paul Calixte and BocaFan repped this.
  2. r0adrunner

r0adrunner Member+

Jun 4, 2011
    London, UK
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Nowadays many athletes do not march in the Olympic opening ceremonies during the parade of nations.

3. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just verified on a document I have that says the Ceremony Starts at 5:40.

BocaFan repped this.
  4. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I believe you are thinking of the Closing ceremonies. For the opening, most do march (but of course not 100%, especially in the last Olympics when some athletes were stuck in quarantine).

5. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True, there is less incentive if you are older, made a career from this sport and already a multi-millionaire. And good point about the travel. Olympics are held in and around a single city so partaking in the opening doesn't add much travel for the involved athletes.

6. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I just but a good bet on them to beat Qatar, that should be easy enough.

7. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Has the government of Ecuador withdrawn it? If not then he should get to represent Ecuador. FIFA shouldn’t second-guess a country’s citizenship determination, even if flawed.

8. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Don't look at FIFA: this was the CAS's call.

Nevertheless, the specific point is that Castillo would need to get his passport corrected, and there's just not enough time.

Rickdog repped this.
  9. celito

celito Moderator
    Staff Member

Palmeiras
    Brazil
    Feb 28, 2005
    USA
    Club:
    Palmeiras Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Not sure if it has been mentioned, but having the opening (and only game of the day) be on a Sunday really blows. In the past 2 WCs the opening games were on a Thursday and we got the whole 1st weekend right away to watch games. F$%! you again FIFA.

10. Rickdog

Rickdog Member+

Jun 16, 2010
    Santiago, Chile
    Club:
    CD Colo Colo
    Nat'l Team:
    Chile
    The chilean NT team has never based its squad only on players from european top leagues. In fact, traditionally very few chilean players have played in top teams in Europe. Some of our best players from the past never played in Europe, unless it were in a WC played there.

Most of chilean players play locally, and lately we´ve had more presence within diferent leagues in the american continent, being Mexico, Brazil and Argentina, our best destinations.

Yes, it's worrying.

But not more or less worrying than other qualifiers from the past, before any match has been played.
    At least that's how it has been for Chile, always.

11. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    True. Plus Qatar's weekend is Friday-Sat, which makes it more stupid that Qatar themselves open on a Sunday (a work day over there but weekend most everywhere else).

At least next weekend is a 4-day weekend in the US.

12. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Cross posted from the USMNT forum

13. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
  14. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
  15. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Actually, any foreign government can deny entry to Castillo upon arrival. His Ecuadorian passport shows known falsified birth data.

If you show up at any foreign port of entry, and your passport shows obvious identity inconsistencies, it is up to that nation's immigration officials to detain you / send you back.

This is why Castillo fled US territory when CHI made public accusations about his falsified birth data. Castillo had joined the ECU squad for friendlies in US territory, and flew out like hell when shit hit the fan on sports media.

16. Sacto

Sacto New Member

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Oct 19, 2022
    California
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm picking Serbia as a dark horse to make it shockingly far; thoughts?

Also, I'm a digital artist... check out this cool custom time zone world cup schedule I made...

http://worldcup22schedule.com/

17. deejay

deejay Member+

Feb 14, 2000
    Tarpon Springs, FL
    Club:
    Jorge Wilstermann
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I don't know what others think but in my mind there are a number of data points that makes me think Qatar is nervous about hosting such a big event. For instance, why suddenly change the alcohol policy?

Paul Calixte repped this.
  18. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    I hope Budweiser sues FIFA. Its the only way FIFA will learn. They are letting Qatar renege on everything they promised from small things (like the start date of the WC) to quite significant things (like keeping the WC in summer). This is just another example of FIFA bending over for them.

I wouldn't be surprised if they also cancel the sale of beer in FIFA fan zones soon after the tournament starts.

Gacm32 and AlbertCamus repped this.
  19. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No beer!

Can someone point me to the riot line.

20. brasileiragem

brasileiragem Member

Real Madrid
    Brazil
    May 21, 2018
    I'm interested in this discussion too. Does anyone here know, historically, when and how FIFA makes this kit information available?

21. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    No beer unless you're very rich, that is.

But I can't wait to see the Qatari Government's reaction when all these drunk fans poor out of the FIFA fanfests.

Gregoire1 repped this.
  22. Jazzy Altidore

Jazzy Altidore Member+

Sep 2, 2009
    San Francisco
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you think this was actually responsive to my point about FIFA deferring to the passport as opposed to foreign governments? FIFA is not a government with an immigration policy.

Cosmin10 repped this.
  23. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Plus athletes from different sports get to meet each other.

24. bigsoccertst1

bigsoccertst1 Member+

United States
    Sep 22, 2017
    Both of my posts mentioned passports, while you tried to steer the conversation into a citizenship red-herring.

ECU FA was fined and sanctioned with -3 points in 2026 qualifiers because its NT player had falsified birth data in his passport.
    The sport tribunal did not rule against his citizenship, but against his falsified birth data.

Remember that Castillo played the 2015 U17 WC while being 3 years older than his rivals, all thanks to his falsified birth data.

A passport containing falsified data is a risk that ECU chose not to take into Qatar. No guarantee that the player won't be stopped in a foreign country, during his travel to Qatar.

25. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Wow! What a speech by Infantino! Dude is so out of touch with reality it's embarrassing.

For sure that speech will drive many people away from the WC, if not away from soccer altogether. Literally the opposite of the terms of reference of his job. If it wasn't so consequential it would be funny.