Qatar 2022

Discussion in 'FIFA and Tournaments' started by Nico Limmat, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Hayaka

Hayaka Member+

Jun 21, 2009
    San Francisco North Bay, Bel Marin Keys
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Denmark
    No, I was in the transit visa category of the program, and it still wanted the name of a sponsor. Maybe if we are already in Dubai it's a simple thing, probably so to just get one at the consulate, or the bus company will take care of it. But my friend now says he doesn't want to go into Saudi, so that's that.

2. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    #4402 HomietheClown, Jul 13, 2021
    Last edited: Jul 13, 2021
    As posted in the CONCACAF forum El Salvador will not be allowed to have fans in their stadium during the final stage of Qualifying due to COVID restrictions.
    There are rumors that they may play in the USA instead.

Every Four Years repped this.
  3. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Let me specify after 90 days they may lift some restrictions but knowing how things are in Latin America I think it is safe to say they should just play all their home matches in the USA.

4. Ofori

Ofori Red Card

Inter Milan
    Ghana
    May 9, 2020
    Qatar actually looked impressive last night against Panama like I'm shocked because I was expecting them to lay an egg but they definitely didn't. I'm even amazed. They managed to draw with Panama who was at the last World Cup in Russia and Qatar are trying to get tournament experience winning the 2019 Asian Cup, played at Copa America 2019 and now here at the 2021 Gold Cup. They look good.

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Qatar are Asian Champions and got through their WC/Asian Cup qualifying group only dropping one point. I'm not sure why you expected them to "lay an egg" in a CONCACAF Gold Cup. The qualifying group was admittedly a lower standard but the Asian Cup isn't a weaker tournament than the Gold Cup.

6. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Oil money even impacts national team football...

7. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    They also held their own in the '19 Copa America as well.

Add in a favorable Group and some refereeing home cooking and They have a chance to make a decent run in the World Cup.

8. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    They have been working on their football the right way since 15 years. They humilated japan in Asia Final. I was at this game. They were impressive.
    Stability in the management, amazing football pitches,..all you need to progress

almango repped this.
  9. Paul Calixte

Paul Calixte Moderator
    Staff Member

Orlando City SC
    Apr 30, 2009
    Miami, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You mean, since the Ailton affair blew up in their faces? :D

10. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Actually, Saudi Arabia relaxed their visa requirements a year before the pandemic hit. They are starting to promote international tourism. It seems they have an e-visa now for many nationalities, but I think that you can only enter the country at certain locations, mostly the international airports. Now that they have normalized relations with Qatar, maybe they will open that land border to tourists. I am not sure about crossing the U.A.E./Saudi Arabia land border. It would make sense for them to open those land borders before the World Cup if they really are serious about international tourism.

Hayaka and mazinio repped this.
  11. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Does anyone have any ideas on good stopover flight destinations to/from Qatar (coming from the USA)? The flight options seem to be pretty limited now due to the lingering pandemic travel issues. I am thinking that pre-pandemic information/knowledge might be most useful in predicting the flight routing options available in late 2022.

My guess is Europe (if flying east), but not ideal there since it will be late fall/winter, or maybe somewhere in the Asia/Indian Ocean region (if flying west)?

12. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Doesn't make sense to fly west. Way further / longer unless your starting point is Guam. :)

Also, not sure I understand your question. There are several direct flights from USA to Doha. But maybe you want a stopover (?) and follow some of the World Cup from another country. If that's the case, it still makes way more sense to fly east since the kick-off times will be at pretty awkward times in east Asia.

I would recommend Madrid or Istanbul. Lots of direct flights from US to both of those cities, as well as direct flights from those 2 cities to Qatar. Nice weather also.

Marius Tresor and mazinio repped this.
  13. makkey

makkey New Member

Chelsea
    France
    Jul 29, 2021
    indoor stadiums sound very strange to me, too. Why is their plan to come up with them instead of normal stadiums? I really don't understand this.

14. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    It's not difficult to understand. We'd be able to have WC 2022 in June-July if Qatar fulfilled their promise to have them.

But they should be used as a last resort - in places where the weather is really bad for playing 90 minutes of high-level football during the summer (or winter if we are thinking about New Zealand).

15. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    Indoor stadiums have been used before in the World Cup.
    It should not be confusing to anyone.

TrueCrew and Cosmin10 repped this.
  16. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Roof can open and will be open in Nov

17. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    But even if they have to close the roofs for some reason it is not like it is the first time teams have had to play indoors.

18. Marius Tresor

Marius Tresor Member+

Aug 1, 2014
    Thanks. Yes, I am looking for a stopover to make it more of a complete vacation since there is not much to do in Qatar. Good ideas on stopovers, but I am looking for something more exotic since I have already been to Madrid and Istanbul.

Just to clarify, coming from the West Coast of the USA, it is nearly the same distance flying east or west to Qatar. But maybe prevailing headwinds make the flight times longer when flying west?

19. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Stops in South East Asia should be fine although it is rainy season.

Marius Tresor and HomietheClown repped this.
  20. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've attended matches in roofed stadiums before (USA v Argentina in NRG in Houston). Like I've said before, it's sort of strange when you first walk in, but once the match started I didn't even notice it.

On Sunday I'll be at the USA v Mexico/Canada Gold Cup Final match in the brand new roofed Death Star (Allegiant Stadium) in Las Vegas. So I'll get another chance to evaluate what it's like. One thing I do know, if it ends up being USA v Mexico it's going to be LOUD inside.

popularside and voiceoflg repped this.
  21. mazinio

mazinio Member+

Apr 16, 2014
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nov is good for Bali / sri lanka / thailand..

22. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Indoor stadiums - or stadiums with roofs - used in World Cups.
    1994 - Detroit, Silverdome
    2002 - Sapporo, Sapporo Dome
    2006 - Gelsenkirchen, Arena aufSchalke
    2006 - Frankfurt - Waldstadion (Commerzbank Arena) - Can't recall if the retractable roof was closed during any matches.

HomietheClown repped this.
  23. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    I think it was closed for Iran Portugal.

unclesox repped this.
  24. unclesox

unclesox BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 8, 2003
    209, California
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    You are correct, sir.

Frankfurt - Iran v Portugal.jpg

It was also closed for South Korea v Togo.

Frankfurt - South Korea v Togo.jpg

It was open for the other three matches they hosted...

England v Paraguay

Frankfurt - England v Paraguay.jpg

Netherlands v Argentina

Frankfurt - Netherlands v Argentina.jpg

Brazil v France

Frankfurt - Brazil v France.jpg

25. PabloSanDiego

PabloSanDiego Member+

West Ham United
    United States
    Jan 18, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was at the Gold Cup Final in the indoor Allegient Stadium yesterday and promised my impressions. First I thought the stadium was incredible. It's so huge and the roof is so high I never gave it a second thought. It was way over 100F (about 40C) and blazing hot under the Las Vegas sun. It was perfect inside.

The sheer massiveness of the stadium interior makes it not even feel like you're indoors. It's just my opinion and I suppose others who went may have felt differently but once the match started it's unnoticeable except for the fact you're in room temperature comfort.

Also my opinion is that it's almost tragic that the Death Star, or more accurately the city of Las Vegas, is not on the list of venues for WC26.